Oppo Camp Jaidyn Stephenson (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Should This Thread Be Kept Open?

• Yes

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due Dilligence is one of those wanky oVer used SEN terms.
Maybe so but even more wankier one that would quote from SEN. What would you have me say, hope the club did all the background checks and saw all the doctors and run all the tests needed before drafting Stephenson? Pfft. I’ll still with due diligence. Wanky or not.

I'm sure we did our due diligence with Kirby too.
I’m sure our club and all clubs go through a shit load of tests and more for every player these days. Health wise and unfortunately now, possible legal ramifications (eg sueing for concussion etc). Some things are unforeseen and can’t be helped all the time by any medical aids. But once again, these players are doing what they love and that’s playing footy.

Maybe so but even more wankier one that would quote from SEN. What would you have me say, hope the club did all the background checks and saw all the doctors and run all the tests needed before drafting Stephenson? Pfft. I’ll still with due diligence. Wanky or not.
I’d rather you speak normally than copy those w***ers off SEN

I’m sure we did due diligence. Us and or any club for that matter. God forbid anything should happen of that nature. But that said, if anything did, at least he got a shot at the Big time and his dreams fulfilled. He would have been doing what he loved. Bet let’s hope that one day us and him look back and talk about a Stellar career that includes B&Fs, Brownlow and Flags.

Does due Dilgence mean medical research?

I'm sure we did our due diligence with Kirby too.

In this scenario, due diligence would look like this: (fyi - im the furtherest thing from a cardiologist so take this with a massive grain of salt, and I'm sure someone else could give a much better summary than me, but I thought I would try anyway)

Many people have undiagnosed arrhythmias (irregular heart rates), cardiomyopathies (basically an issue with the heart muscle being either too stiff, or dilating too easily - a whole heap of causes, unfortunately though a pretty common finding in athletes who die suddenly) or other heart conditions.

A lot of the time these things go completely undetected until something happens. (And unfortunately sometimes serious/fatal)... sometimes/often nothing ever happens and they are just picked up incidentally.

Now some of these things can be quite benign, or can be easily treatable if found... there would also be some cases that a risk of a serious outcome would be high enough to make the decision to stop playing sport.

Now I would guess that most AFL players go through some basic screening tests (ECG, exercise ECG... maybe they do an echo, but i would doubt it for most) as part of their medical workup. I doubt that you would do any particularly more invasive tests unless specifically indicated (either family history, personal history or some other factors) - but there are a quite a few other things that could be done if there was a specific concern.

In the case of Stephenson it was well known so they would've done a whole range of investigations and would've been pretty happy that the risk to his health was low if they cleared him to play - and I'm sure will be monitoring it.

In the case of Kirby - you would assume that nothing came up on his medicals, whether the standard ones, or wheher they did more based on family history etc. Whatever has occured has either come out of the blue, or was not able to be picked up on any of the screening that was done.

The two scenarios are very different.

Last edited:
I’d rather you speak normally than copy those w***ers off SEN
I’ll just stick to being me. Sounding wankybor not. I don’t try to copy anyone else. I’m happy with being me. I may or may not be liked but I respect others in their opinions too. May not always agree but one thing can say about all of us mugs here, we’re all passionate Pies supporters crying that a flag is so far away.

In this scenario, due diligence would look like this: (fyi - im the furtherest thing from a cardiologist so take this with a massive grain of salt, and I'm sure someone else could give a much better summary than me, but I thought I would try anyway)

Many people have undiagnosed arrhythmias (irregular heart rates), cardiomyopathies (basically an issue with the heart muscle being either too stiff, or dilating too easily - a whole heap of causes, unfortunately though a pretty common finding in athletes who die suddenly) or other heart conditions.

A lot of the time these things go completely undetected until something happens. (And unfortunately sometimes serious/fatal)... sometimes/often nothing ever happens and they are just picked up incidentally.

Now some of these things can be quite benign, or can be easily treatable if found... there would also be some cases that a risk of a serious outcome would be high enough to make the decision to stop playing sport.

Now I would guess that most AFL players go through some basic screening tests (ECG, exercise ECG... maybe they do an echo, but i would doubt it for most) as part of their medical workup. I doubt that you would do any particularly more invasive tests unless specifically indicated (either family history, personal history or some other factors) - but there are a quite a few other things that could be done if there was a specific concern.

In the case of Stephenson it was well known so they would've done a whole range of investigations and would've been pretty happy that the risk to his health was low if they cleared him to play - and I'm sure will be monitoring it.

In the case of Kirby - you would assume that nothing came up on his medicals, whether the standard ones, or wheher they did more based on family history etc. Whatever has occured has either come out of the blue, or was not able to be picked up on any of the screening that was done.

The two scenarios are very different.
Very clear description. Thanks

Stephenson looks a promising player. In a better side he'd be playing seconds and developing outside the spotlight. He'll make mistakes and have quiet games but he looks to have the ability to read the play, win the ball and use it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Second game in he did OK. Not up to his first game, but we are after all discussing a kid two weeks into his (hopefully very long) AFL career! A bit of an unhealthy focus, but indicative of our desperation to find positives.

Don't mind him would like to see him take it on a little more but that will come with confidence and game time.

Disposal at times worries me.

Yeah. His Field Kicking tad Dodgy at times and can have the odd Howler

his kicking is better than half the team...id be worried about others more than him...his kicking has improved a lot

True but I am also saying every once in awhile had a Shank.

Not having a go at your boy or anything.

Second game in he did OK. Not up to his first game, but we are after all discussing a kid two weeks into his (hopefully very long) AFL career! A bit of an unhealthy focus, but indicative of our desperation to find positives.

As you say, he's just a kid... give him another game or two and then schedule him for some down time... then come back refreshed..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back