Traded Jake Carlisle [traded w/ #23 and #44 for #5, #24 and Craig Bird]

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton reckon Yarrans worth a first round pick. Yet Carlisle isnt worth a pick 5-8. Lel
Carlton don't have to trade Yarran. What happens if Ess don't trade Carlisle?

But the PSD won't happen and Carlton will offer picks they don't have because Carlton have a magical draft pick wand and are nice guys - everyone knows that...

Carlton don't have to trade Yarran. What happens if Ess don't trade Carlisle?

But the PSD won't happen and Carlton will offer picks they don't have because Carlton have a magical draft pick wand and are nice guys - everyone knows that...
Well they sort if do because next year he will just walk under free agency for nothing.

Clearly Carlton will take him in the PSD. I just hope he doesnt nominate them over a premiership Hawthorn and an exciting StKilda. Or if you guys are still in the hunt.

Weitering has Carlisle covered in every way. He also has no WADA case hanging over his head.

He's promising, but **** off he's got him covered in every way. You guys should know by now that number 1 picks aren't always the best.

(not saying hes worth pick 1 tho LOL)

Last edited:

Would you accept pick 1 for Carlisle?
Of course Essendon (or Essendon fans, at least) would accept pick 1 for Carlisle but it's also a worthless hypothetical because Carlton won't offer that.

However, it's also silly to say Weitering has anyone covered at this point. He hasn't played a game. Now, obviously he's a likely number one pick for a good reason- that is, he's going to be very good- but to claim he's got Carlisle or in fact anyone covered at this point is rubbish. He has to actually step on the field and play first.

Well they sort if do because next year he will just walk under free agency for nothing.

Clearly Carlton will take him in the PSD. I just hope he doesnt nominate them over a premiership Hawthorn and an exciting StKilda. Or if you guys are still in the hunt.

Mate the strong mail is the Dogs aren't going near Carlisle for character reasons that can't be gone into. Having said that, culturally Jake would be a fantastic fit for the Saints.

But I'll back Two Planks, Carlton will get him and will be for either the Hendo pick from Geelong or Carlton's 2nd rd pick.

And if Mr Sir Adrian Dodoro wants to drag it out as per usual, then I'm kind of hoping Carlton get him in the PSD.

MR Sir Dodoro is a cancer on list management and the trade period IMO, and I sincerely hope his usual antics cost Ess this time and this costs him his job.

Mate the strong mail is the Dogs aren't going near Carlisle for character reasons that can't be gone into. Having said that, culturally Jake would be a fantastic fit for the Saints.

But I'll back Two Planks, Carlton will get him and will be for either the Hendo pick from Geelong or Carlton's 2nd rd pick.

And if Mr Sir Adrian Dodoro wants to drag it out as per usual, then I'm kind of hoping Carlton get him in the PSD.

MR Sir Dodoro is a cancer on list management and the trade period IMO, and I sincerely hope his usual antics cost Ess this time and this costs him his job.

its not dodoro, its the board. any trade dodoro does has to be ticked off by the board

Let me ask you this.

Carlton's second round pick, if it came to that, is pick 19 currently, is it not? Do you really think pick 19 is a fair reflection of Carlisle's worth? It's under value. Maybe not by as much as some would have you believe, but it's still under value.

If Essendon think pick 19 is not a decent reflection of his worth, why should they just accept that straight off the bat?

Hes not worth pick 5.

To be honest I think its silly for people to comepletely rule out pick 5 being used in trade though.
I hope that's not referring to anything I've said, because my only contention is that we won't trade him for pick 5 straight out (ie, with nothing else coming along with him) and that he's not worth pick 5, I never once said that pick 5 wouldn't be involved, because that would depend entirely on what else was in the package.

he will go to saints for pick 6 and if Essendon get greedy which they would be stupid to because he isn't worth pick 6 then he will go to carlton PSD, end of story

Let me ask you this.

Carlton's second round pick, if it came to that, is pick 19 currently, is it not? Do you really think pick 19 is a fair reflection of Carlisle's worth? It's under value. Maybe not by as much as some would have you believe, but it's still under value.

If Essendon think pick 19 is not a decent reflection of his worth, why should they just accept that straight off the bat?
Because it doesn't matter. Because of some bogus offer 13 years ago we're hard to deal with.

Also, GC currently have an end of 1st round pick so Carlton's 2nd round pick is currently 20.

Let me ask you this.

Because if Carlisle nominates Carlton and efc don't accept it , he can freely and easily walk to the PSD with a clear conscience .
efc are in the weakest of positions here ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because if Carlisle nominates Carlton and efc don't accept it , he can freely and easily walk to the PSD with a clear conscience .
efc are in the weakest of positions here ...
Absolutly. IF he nominated Carlton they will offer up their 2nd and that will just about be it i reckon. Carlton dont exactly play easy either and have already shown their hand and their indications.

Of course Essendon (or Essendon fans, at least) would accept pick 1 for Carlisle but it's also a worthless hypothetical because Carlton won't offer that.

However, it's also silly to say Weitering has anyone covered at this point. He hasn't played a game. Now, obviously he's a likely number one pick for a good reason- that is, he's going to be very good- but to claim he's got Carlisle or in fact anyone covered at this point is rubbish. He has to actually step on the field and play first.

True but he is 7 yrs younger and best key defender at his age. I want them both with Jamison holding the fort for two years until Carlisle matures into a leadership role

Absolutly. IF he nominated Carlton they will offer up their 2nd and that will just about be it i reckon. Carlton dont exactly play easy either and have already shown their hand and their indications.

Pick 19 will work for you guys Parish and Gresham in your midfield.

Let me ask you this.

No p19 is not fair value (for me character questions, being uncontracted, and WADA aside I'd love him at The Dogs for our 1st and 2nd rd picks).

But we are talking about market value. And the simple fact is if Carlisle nominates Carlton Ess won't get fair value.

If JC nominates Carlton the only thing stopping Carlton shafting Ess via the PSD (or threat thereof) is that Carlton want to threaten another club with it.

But frankly, Carlisle (character questions and WADA aside) would be Carlton's highest value target and you'd assume they'll reserve the PSD for him if required (and knowing Mr Sir Dodoro's MO it will be).

Let me ask you this.

Because he's out of contract, and if he nominates Carlton then you'll take the best offer we think is reasonable.
If he doesn't care where he goes then it comes down to a straight bidding war.

Still always a gamble though. Gumbleton was highly touted as well, as to Jack Watts. I ask the question again what has he achieved that Carlisle hasnt??

At the same age plenty

In 5 yrs even more potentially

I know it's not wise to put much stock in anything he says, but I found it interesting that Terry Wallace (who studies club's lists more than probably anyone in the media, for his role on TAC Cup Future Stars, etc) apparently said on the radio the other day that Carlisle is a 'talent', however hasn't shown consistency to be worth a top end pick & values him as a "backend first rounder at 15+".

Personally I think his general trade value (to whichever club trades for him, no matter what any particular club has offered him in terms of dollars) is around pick 12, give or take a couple (depending on how strong that area of the draft is).

I agree with Plough though that he hasn't shown the consistency to be worth a pick like 5 (no matter whether it's us that he nominates, or another club) and that the questionmarks on his attitude/character/mental toughness and also the possibility of a WADA ban also devalue him, along with being uncontracted.

Last edited:
Carlton hasn't gone to the media and announced Carlisle as a priority player.

If/when they do Carlton more likely than not will offer pick 19 - if Essendon reject the trade Carlisle will then have the option of nominating Carlton.

That will be good for us because Gresham will add to our midfield.

I hope that's not referring to anything I've said, because my only contention is that we won't trade him for pick 5 straight out (ie, with nothing else coming along with him) and that he's not worth pick 5, I never once said that pick 5 wouldn't be involved, because that would depend entirely on what else was in the package.

More so at those who say pick 5 wont be involved at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jake Carlisle [traded w/ #23 and #44 for #5, #24 and Craig Bird]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back