Traded Jake Carlisle [traded w/ #23 and #44 for #5, #24 and Craig Bird]

Remove this Banner Ad

And if the saints dont pay up... then what?
If they offer tripe, they'll be seen as tools and will be avoided like the plague by future players they try and entice out of other clubs if they ever get close to success. So, nothing much really.

That's not how it works. Someone will blink. He's not going to the PSD, Saints won't risk it for a player they obviously want.

Says someone who's team traded Stevens???

It rarely happens, but most reasonable bystanders think that pick 5 is closer then the Saints offer to the value. Especially as 5 in this draft is 7 after Mills & hopper.

Essendon won't blink, but I can't see the Saints getting another first rounder.

This is a stalemate that Essendon should not get pineappled

That's not how it works. Someone will blink. He's not going to the PSD, Saints won't risk it for a player they obviously want.

Has it occurred to anyone that no other club has made a single noise re. Carlisle? Has anyone wondered why this deal has not been done when 5 would get it done?

I mean the Treloar deal has a vague sniff of not happening and rival clubs are all over it. Virtually not a single supporter from another club has come into this thread and said "Woah, maybe with our pick (insert number) we could get Carlisle".

Why is that?

It comes down to one thing: if the end of the trade period is reached and no agreement has been made, Carlisle is practically guaranteed passage to St Kilda through the PSD and a massively front loaded contract (would be the whole of the Saint's remaining cap space, being 1-1.5m x 1 year). As such, St Kilda have nothing to lose; they'll get their man one way or another.

Essendon are the one's on the clock. If they don't like what St Kilda are offering, then it's up to them to try to squeeze some more out, or try to convince Carlisle to go to a club who can, and will, give Essendon what they want. Since St Kilda are offering such a large contract and a guaranteed #1 CHB spot, the latter is extremely unlikely, so the former option is all that is realistically possible.

If St Kilda want to be pricks and offer massive 'unders', then so be it. It would be somewhat disappointing from a moralistic point of view, but it's a business world during the trade period, after all. Also, then again, it's hard to be sympathetic for a club who is seemingly not budging from demanding the Saints pay through the nose, in the form of pick 5, and incessantly complaining to the media about not getting their way.

It comes down to one thing: if the end of the trade period is reached and no agreement has been made, Carlisle is practically guaranteed passage to St Kilda through the PSD and a massively front loaded contract (would be the whole of the Saint's remaining cap space, being 1-1.5m x 1 year). As such, St Kilda have nothing to lose; they'll get their man one way or another.

Essendon are the one's on the clock. If they don't like what St Kilda are offering, then it's up to them to try to squeeze some more out, or try to convince Carlisle to go to a club who can, and will, give Essendon what they want. Since St Kilda are offering such a large contract and a guaranteed #1 CHB spot, the latter is extremely unlikely, so the former option is all that is realistically possible.

If St Kilda want to be pricks and offer massive 'unders', then so be it. It would be somewhat disappointing from a moralistic point of view, but it's a business world during the trade period, after all. Also, then again, it's hard to be sympathetic for a club who is seemingly not budging from demanding the Saints pay through the nose, in the form of pick 5, and incessantly complaining to the media about not getting their way.

The general consensus from the saints camp, through the media anyway, is that they understand pick 24 is not going to get the deal done and from their pov pick 5 is too much. Fair call. I think it'll just take time to work with another club to get a suitable that both will walk away with.

Something you can guarantee is it won't be going to PSD. Clubs with new coaches don't do that unless the player pushes it... our team will want a draft pick to play with, no matter if it's fair value or not.

It comes down to one thing: if the end of the trade period is reached and no agreement has been made, Carlisle is practically guaranteed passage to St Kilda through the PSD and a massively front loaded contract (would be the whole of the Saint's remaining cap space, being 1-1.5m x 1 year).

That if should be typed in size 72 font.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The general consensus from the saints camp, through the media anyway, is that they understand pick 24 is not going to get the deal done and from their pov pick 5 is too much. Fair call. I think it'll just take time to work with another club to get a suitable that both will walk away with.

Something you can guarantee is it won't be going to PSD. Clubs with new coaches don't do that unless the player pushes it... our team will want a draft pick to play with, no matter if it's fair value or not.

I doubt that the Saints would go for the PSD option without serious cause to do so (e.g Essendon not wavering AT ALL from the demand for pick 5), and Carlisle has said he wouldn't (but, who knows how concrete he is on that, if push comes to shove).

In Emma Quayle's recent publication, it was noted how St Kilda were prepared to take Membrey in the PSD if Sydney did not delist him and allow us to take him as a delisted free agent. So, it's not an absurd prospect, but perhaps may be different in the case of Carlisle for a few reasons, be it that he would not agree to such a thing (like i mentioned above) or perhaps the Saints realised the Membrey was worth peanuts in a trade anyway, so taking him in the PSD isn't a big deal, whilst taking Carlisle would be a huge and unacceptable shafting.

That if should be typed in size 72 font.

Exactly, it's a massive IF.

But, the point remains the same; St Kilda don't have to budge. Unfortunately, even though Essendon are the ones selling the goods, and St Kilda have blatantly confirmed interest in said goods, it's up to Essendon to satisfy St Kilda's demands, or risk getting nothing.

Has it occurred to anyone that no other club has made a single noise re. Carlisle? Has anyone wondered why this deal has not been done when 5 would get it done?

I mean the Treloar deal has a vague sniff of not happening and rival clubs are all over it. Virtually not a single supporter from another club has come into this thread and said "Woah, maybe with our pick (insert number) we could get Carlisle".

Why is that?

because GWS have openly said they are talking to other clubs about it (even though treloar and his management want none of it)

Traditionally what happens is you will lose
If you get him so be it
You are not trading in good faith if you have only offered a second rounder and fringe player for Carlisle.
I can't wait until billings is out of contract
And asking for pick 5 is trading in good faith?

Might be waiting a while for billings

If they offer tripe, they'll be seen as tools and will be avoided like the plague by future players they try and entice out of other clubs if they ever get close to success. So, nothing much really.

Why would other players care?

Is that why the dons being difficult to trade with havent got anyone of note in a while?

I doubt that the Saints would go for the PSD option without serious cause to do so (e.g Essendon not wavering AT ALL from the demand for pick 5), and Carlisle has said he wouldn't (but, who knows how concrete he is on that, if push comes to shove).

In Emma Quayle's recent publication, it was noted how St Kilda were prepared to take Membrey in the PSD if Sydney did not delist him and allow us to take him as a delisted free agent. So, it's not an absurd prospect, but perhaps may be different in the case of Carlisle for a few reasons, be it that he would not agree to such a thing (like i mentioned above) or perhaps the Saints realised the Membrey was worth peanuts in a trade anyway, so taking him in the PSD isn't a big deal, whilst taking Carlisle would be a huge and unacceptable shafting.

Yeah, I think with the higher profile it comes at a bigger cost to reputation I spose.

I think privately essendon are willing to deal. But the balls in saints court right now.
Saints don't want to trade us 5, thats 100% fine, but we need a first rounder for him.. so it's up to saints to be creative to get that first (which we all know they are trying to now) so yeah, not much essendon can do but sit and wait for that to happen.

Would not say that Stkilda want 3 gun midfielders this year .
Watch this this space is all I will say.
Assembled the best recruiting team in the AFL last 2 years.

The major problem is Essendon going to the gambling table with a pair of 2 's
Saints have 3 King's
Bluff only works when a player is contracted they know it.
Finishes high in the B & F
Has a clean bill of health ....has knee issues
Does not have a WADA sanction hanging over their heads.

Dream on Stkilda on are not going to blink they don't have too.
Hello Ben Lennon thanks for your help mate.

Yeah, I think with the higher profile it comes at a bigger cost to reputation I spose.

I think privately essendon are willing to deal. But the balls in saints court right now.
Saints don't want to trade us 5, thats 100% fine, but we need a first rounder for him.. so it's up to saints to be creative to get that first (which we all know they are trying to now) so yeah, not much essendon can do but sit and wait for that to happen.

The human in me is saying that St Kilda should get a trade done that is at least somewhat equitable.

The logician and football fan in me is hoping that they force him to the PSD, because a KPD and a gun kid is better than just a KPD!

Facts:

Stkilda will get Carlisle

It would be highly unlikely they run the so many risk of PSD and even bother entertaining that option

The bombers originally seeked about Billings then in their dropped the offer to pick 5. They have again moved on their requirement now saying they will take pick 9 if the saints can get it (From Woosha today on radio).

Saints are yet to even table an offer (acc Woosha on radio) however its considered by some (mainly BF saint fans) that Hickey and 24 has been tabled.

Bombers will see it worth pushing him to the PSD if the saints continue to be unreasonable even if it means getting nothing instead of the 29th best kid in a weak draft pool, to make a stand for not losing much in their view.

The human in me is saying that St Kilda should get a trade done that is at least somewhat equitable.

The logician and football fan in me is hoping that they force him to the PSD, because a KPD and a gun kid is better than just a KPD!

Yeah I can see why everyone would want players for free, especially the high profile ones, I think it's bad business so though as you don't really want to burn bridges.

Obviously cos my teams most likely on the end of the reaming, I want a fair trade, but I'd prefer something rather than nothing :p

If we were forced to take a second rounder for him I'd take it, having picks 23, 24 and 25 is pretty handy.. but I'd hope it doesn't get to that, and everything from the saints party seems to be that they are working to actually get a deal that both parties are satisfied by..

Facts:

Stkilda will get Carlisle

It would be highly unlikely they run the so many risk of PSD and even bother entertaining that option

The bombers originally seeked about Billings then in their dropped the offer to pick 5. They have again moved on their requirement now saying they will take pick 9 if the saints can get it (From Woosha today on radio).

Saints are yet to even table an offer (acc Woosha on radio) however its considered by some (mainly BF saint fans) that Hickey and 24 has been tabled.

Bombers will see it worth pushing him to the PSD if the saints continue to be unreasonable even if it means getting nothing instead of the 29th best kid in a weak draft pool, to make a stand for not losing much in their view.

We offered second round pick and Essendon said they wanted pick 5 everyone walked away.
The problem with dodo is he immediately goes to media with stupid remarks no other recruiter operates
that way always the commentary goes we are seeking the best deal from all the clubs is the standard line
from all of them except one this is why he is disliked so much in football circles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jake Carlisle [traded w/ #23 and #44 for #5, #24 and Craig Bird]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back