MRP / Trib. James Sicily tackle on Hugh McCluggage

How many weeks for Sicily?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He tackled the guy by pulling him down onto himself.

That's a very caring way to tackle someone. Sicily made himself a buffer between the ground and the player. Players were both going at speed so McLuggage kept spinning through and hit his neck on the ground.

This could be the second time this season we've had a player suspended for a tackle that awarded holding the ball.

When players try to break tackles they contribute to the slinging action. Football is a game of motion and contact. If we start removing tackles that may accidentally cause injury, you may as well make pack marking illegal as that is the most dangerous part of our entire game.

Looking at these 2 angles you can see arms pinned and a sling which results in head slamming into the turf. Would be shocked that if it isn't a week or 2

I agree he will get a week based on the (illogical and extreme) approach the AFL is taking this year, but what else was Sicliy supposed to do?
He is chasing and diving to lay the tackle at full speed
therefore his body continues with the same momentum carrying him past mcclugage as he grabs mcclugage
sicily then hits the ground and mcclugages momentum carries him over sicily and therefore the apparent sling

I think he gets off, mainly because Kiddy pushes him and changes the trajectory of Sicily's body into the tackle. The presence of Brockman didn't help things.

Correct, just watching all those replays posted, the push from Coleman changes Sicily's trajectory and is the reason he rolled McCluggage that way, there's no sling, it's all momentum and rolling.

Sicily must do rock climbing or something, I'm amazed he was able to stick the tackle and maintain his grip the whole way through.

I hate me some Sicily and my reptilian part of my brain wants retribution for Clugga, but this one feels pretty defensible. Technique looked pretty clean and there were other contributing factors to the way he landed.

If he got off I'd be okay with it. Reckon the AFL is scared of establishing precedents and lines-of-defence that could be used to help players get away slightly more dubious tackles though. As such, I reckon they'll give him a week.

It would be as farcical as the Butler suspension if Sicily gets suspended for that tackle.

Just because the players they tackled got injured doesn't make them dangerous tackles. even good tackles can cause injuries, that's just part of football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be as farcical as the Butler suspension if Sicily gets suspended for that tackle.

Just because the players they tackled got injured doesn't make them dangerous tackles. even good tackles can cause injuries, that's just part of football.
Nope. He might be lucky because the other player confuses things but Sicily’s slinging motion means it’s not like butlers. He is likely, not unreasonably, to get a week. Butler shouldn’t have.

Last edited:
The headline reads "James Sicily tackles someone who was hurt afterwards." Based upon 2023 MRO/AFL chooklotto that's the verdict right there. All that's left to argue is the sentence, and given it's Sicily it could be almost anything.

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked to see Sicily referred straight to tribunal, plus a week for Brockman and a fine for Mackenzie (for watching).

The headline reads "James Sicily tackles someone who was hurt afterwards." Based upon 2023 MRO/AFL chooklotto that's the verdict right there. All that's left to argue is the sentence, and given it's Sicily it could be almost anything.

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked to see Sicily referred straight to tribunal, plus a week for Brockman and a fine for Mackenzie (for watching).
Sarcastic Joke GIF

Such a victim Sicily is, always getting suspended for no reason at all.

Wow, they just said he's been sent straight to the tribunal because it's severe impact and high. He's going to get 3 weeks, for something half of us don't think is reportable.

Wow, they just said he's been sent straight to the tribunal because it's severe impact and high. He's going to get 3 weeks, for something half of us don't think is reportable.

Haven't seen this reported anywhere. Think you've gone too early.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. James Sicily tackle on Hugh McCluggage

Back