Player Watch Jason Horne-Francis - You were always one of us

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think just because a team is high on the ladder that should automatically equal tickets to the AA side

But ... if there's a spot for a Port player in the AA side right now it's JHF for mine. He's ahead of Butters in my opinion.

The media may or may not hate him but they don't vote on the AA.

Most of the selectors are media figures themselves so they literally do. And the media narrative around players absolutely impacts their chances of being picked in the AA team, there's no doubt about that whatsoever. JHF is a largely loathed figure, I doubt he would even make the squad at the moment.

butters is still ahead of him quite comfortably, jhf has benefited massively the last couple of weeks when butters has been heavily tagged. we are not gonna finish high enough to have mutliple AA players, in my opinion we will either have butters make it or no one from port makes it. jhf doesnt accumulate enough to warrant a spot in the AA team, we know he will accumulate more in the next couple of seasons. the realilty is butters will make it or he wont, this will be ports only AA chance.

I don't think just because a team is high on the ladder that should automatically equal tickets to the AA side

But ... if there's a spot for a Port player in the AA side right now it's JHF for mine. He's ahead of Butters in my opinion.
both will be selected

Most of the selectors are media figures themselves so they literally do. And the media narrative around players absolutely impacts their chances of being picked in the AA team, there's no doubt about that whatsoever. JHF is a largely loathed figure, I doubt he would even make the squad at the moment.
I prefer when I slag off players and you defend them. :cool:

He wouldn't be because a) the media hate him and b) Port have had a middling season which makes it harder for players to get in. But put it this way, he's had as good a season as quite a few players who will likely get in.

Literally every team bar Sydney has had a middling season.

We can rightly bitch and moan about Port's performance, but they're still in the top 4 after 12 games, with a 3-1 record against teams in the top 8 currently.

You're right though, there will be a few players overlooked simply because they're not in the VFL boys club.

Similar to when Adelaide United won the Premier's Plate and A-League Championship yet didn't have a single player in the team of the year (AA equivalent).

Literally every team bar Sydney has had a middling season.

We can rightly bitch and moan about Port's performance, but they're still in the top 4 after 12 games, with a 3-1 record against teams in the top 8 currently.

You're right though, there will be a few players overlooked simply because they're not in the VFL boys club.

Similar to when Adelaide United won the Premier's Plate and A-League Championship yet didn't have a single player in the team of the year (AA equivalent).

I had a look at Wil Schofield's team (I know, you get what you deserve) and he had more West Coast than Port players in.

Unless we somehow have negative players in there, this shouldn't be possible.

Yeo and Waterman have both had outstanding seasons and would rightly be in contention.

I don't get the angst to be honest. We just haven't had any players have real standout seasons this year. The fact that our closest thing is a third year player who has missed two games and half the AFL community still think is no good says it all.

Yeo and Waterman have both had outstanding seasons and would rightly be in contention.

I don't get the angst to be honest. We just haven't had any players have real standout seasons this year. The fact that our closest thing is a third year player who has missed two games and half the AFL community still think is no good says it all.
What does this say about us then? If we are sitting top 4 with no players in good enough form to be considered for all Australian, must be the coaching and the system getting it done?

What does this say about us then? If we are sitting top 4 with no players in good enough form to be considered for all Australian, must be the coaching and the system getting it done?

Um, no? We've had plenty of players who have had good seasons but not great seasons. And plenty of players who have had great games against lesser teams but haven't competed against better opposition.

The AA team is 22 players between 18 teams. It's hard to get in. And it's really hard to get in if you're a midfielder (which is where pretty much all our talent is).

I had a look at Wil Schofield's team (I know, you get what you deserve) and he had more West Coast than Port players in.
I remember in the preseason game vs port last year he said he expected WCE to make the 8 that year. He was talking them up as having a better list than port. They then went on to have one of the worst football seasons ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year, Butters, Rozee and Houston largely carried us to a top 3 H&A finish.

If we finish top 4 at the end of 23 rounds this year, it will likely be because Butters and JHF have got us there. I just can’t see enough other individuals playing well enough to take merit away from them. If we’re good enough to finish with 16-17 wins (unlikely I know), then JHF would have played his part and by then may be a much more obvious AA candidate. Another 11 weeks like his last month and he’ll be a very strong chance.

Don’t forget he missed rounds 2 and 3 this year.

Last year, Butters, Rozee and Houston largely carried us to a top 3 H&A finish.

If we finish top 4 at the end of 23 rounds this year, it will likely be because Butters and JHF have got us there. I just can’t see enough other individuals playing well enough to take merit away from them. If we’re good enough to finish with 16-17 wins (unlikely I know), then JHF would have played his part and by then may be a much more obvious AA candidate. Another 11 weeks like his last month and he’ll be a very strong chance.

Don’t forget he missed rounds 2 and 3 this year.
if we finish top 4 JHF will get his first blazer, butters gets his second.

if we finish top 4 JHF will get his first blazer, butters gets his second.
Yep. Gulden broke out about this time last year and finished off very strongly to get AA and high up in Brownlow. Rozee and Warner similarly in 2022. JHF can very much make AA if his current output increases around 5-10% for the rest of the year. 25 possessions per game, 6-8 clearances and a goal per game and plenty of score involvements would be extremely compelling.

Currently:
22.7 disposals
7.0 clearances - by far our highest
1.1 goals
7.6 score involvements (team best)
11.1 contested possessions (third best but close to Wines and Butters)
2.8 tackles - this can improve. He misses a few IMO

Last edited:
Unless we somehow have negative players in there, this shouldn't be possible.

He had McGovern and Waterman in from West Coast (both starting 18) and Houston (4th on the bench) from Port.

Apart from leaving out Butters who is tracking as well as last year where he was a Brownlow favourite, I agree Horne-Francis is criminally underrated by media pundits. He has had every bit as good a season as Yeo for example, nearly the same number of disposals per game and more goals (both influenced by playing more time forward). And he has probably won us a couple of games already.

Yep. Gulden broke out about this time last year and finished off very strongly to get AA and high up in Brownlow. Rozee and Warner similarly in 2022. JHF can very much make AA if his current output increases around 5-10% for the rest of the year. 25 possessions per game, 6-8 clearances and a goal per game and plenty of score involvements would be extremely compelling.

Currently:
22.7 disposals
7.0 clearances - by far our highest
1.1 goals
7.6 score involvements (team best)
11.1 contested possessions (third best but close to Wines and Butters)
2.8 tackles - this can improve. He misses a few IMO
agreed. currently makes the squad. if he does this then makes the team.

As good as he's been, he's not had an AA year. Simply too inconsistent and also missed a couple of games.

Too many mids have had better years

geez its going under the radar how bad jhf was on the weekend. speaks volumes when cheese has more clearances than him. our whole midfield was so bad that the bloke who was tagged (butters) topped our midfield in score involvemnts and clearences.
Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 10.48.03 pm.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back