JLT2 - Game Day Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the replay and Fog is chewing gum, what tha?

Yeah.. I noticed that too... are you sure he had gum in his mouth?....

I was wondering if he had gum in his mouth or he was just grinding his bottom teeth against his mouth guard.. because it didn’t look like he took his mouth guard out before kicking for goal like most forwards do..

He would have to be wearing a mouth guard.. the club doctors surely wouldn’t allow him to play without one right?..

The other thing I noticed when I re-watched his interview on draft night the other day was that he looked to have braces on his teeth... which would mean he’d definately need a guard..

This is an example of what Jenkins is offering:

Start of the game, 18.08 seconds on the clock, quick ball forward, Howard attacks the ball, Jenkins jogs, Howard wins the ball anf Jenkins is not close to attacking the ball or player. If you can’t be bothered Josh **** off.

THIS!

People who are standing up for Jenkins we all know he can kick goals but mate he and a few others let the richmond backline walk the football out grand final day, show some intent. Hopefully he can't be arsed in JLT but I expected him and a few other mates to actually put in some effort to make up for what they served up last year. This is the next step Josh needs to take otherwise he will soon be potted everyweek by our fans aswell as the usual opposition fans. You watch Mcgovern Forgarty Betts and Cameron (last year), Lynch (sometimes) they all put on the pressure whether is may be as simple as sprinting at someone showing that they mean business (acting) or making them earn it and second guessing themselves mainly gov fog and cameron (last year).

I'm afraid with Cameron gone this is only one in that team in the forward line that really likes to get at the opposition and make them earn the kick or second guess themselves with forward pressure (Gov)

You look at the Richmond forward line they talk it up because it's small it's just honestly about getting after the opposition defenders giving them no time and forcing them making them feel the pressure, everyone who's played knows that pressure that little moment in your brain "**** I've gotta get rid of this" when jenkins and tex are chasing its just like meh I'll step around them just kills us.

Anyway lets hope its just JLT but I expect some better showing in the real season

Round 2 against Richmond may tell us alot we could be likely to destroy them again at home. What I hope is it's a similar game to the GF and we win a different hard fought way that may give them confidence. If one player doesn't put in everything for that one I would be very dissapointed

I remember last pre season we had one worry only with supposedly the worst midfield in the competition.:rolleyes:

Now suddenly, we have a thousand other worries. Jesus.

It was 35 degrees in the shade yesterday and probably 45-50 in the centre of the ground.. we were playing a team on their home turf.. we were trialing a lot of different structures after half time and playing a few new guys in the team.. it was the first real hit out for many of our leaders..:. and it was a trial match.

Last edited:
Just watched a bit of the replay a few things

First half was the real game. Yet we still rarely ran with Sloane, Gibbs and Crouch at a centre stoppage.
We were far more switched in across the ground then. Far mkre direct play with Gov and Fog as targets.

Second half. Fog moves down back and stints in the middle. Gov and Lynch virtually unsighted.
We played an empty forward line.
Jenkins rucked more. I think Pyke did this to try and get him involved.
There was no want to take the game up to the next level from our guys. First half we played quick direct foott. Second half it was more about getting GPS numbers and not getting injured.

Port got back into the game from the desperation of two guys who want to play round one. Barry and Bonner. It was like these two guys abandoned the short kicking style and went run and carry with fast movement. Any time they went slow and short they failed to score. Any time Bonner and Barry took the game on they did well. They will bring in SPP, Boak and Rocky for round one. Will be interesting to see how they play then.

You have to wonder on a hot meaningless day the will to chase down these two guys down seemed non existanti.

My two concerns are Jenkins and Eddie. Jenkins has lost any confidence he once had. Even in the first half with the game in our terms he had little to offer. I think he needs an SANFL stint to dominate a few games to get his mojo back.

Up forward Eddie struggles with no space. We saw tbis in the GF However I felt in the first half he played that run off half back role well. I quite like him starting there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So now the trolling from the Pear is dying down ... some random thoughts from yesterday's game:
  • Fogarty - must play, he just loves the contest and should get AFL level experience as quick as possible.
  • Doedee - lock it in. One of the better auditions I have seen from a young player, will be a loved and admired part of our team for years to come
  • Gibbs - I still like him at half-back, but the guy is class where ever he plays. He is as hard at it as anyone (except maybe the Fog)
  • Laird - Our best player now? He is unbelievably good.
  • Crouch - Gun, becoming more gunny by the minute.
  • Brown - reliable and skilled. Maybe under-utilised in the back pocket?
  • Lynch - solid. Very brave of him to play in the direct sunlight on a 35 degree day :)
  • Greenwood - looks to be improving still. Is a very useful addition to our mids.
  • Hampton - another one that has shown enough, his pressure and tackling are top-notch
  • CEY - keeps surprising me with his inside work, but his pace will mean we can't play him and Greenwood in the same 22
  • Gibson - I'm not sure what was so bad about his game? I thought he was finding his way nicely.
  • Betts - on the ball work was really really good, is so fearless and clean with his hands
  • Sloane - Very rusty. We cannot feed him to the taggers again in 2018. He doesn't handle it and it wastes his talent. Half forward for me.
  • McGovern - hard to read anything into the game with his early injury.
  • Kelly - surely everyone loves this guy by now?
  • Douglas - I always under-estimate Pizza Boy, he is always physical and aggressive.
  • Murphy - showed his potential again. Real chance for a call up based on attitude alone.
  • Talia - much better signs. Was all over Dixon as usual.
  • Jacobs - got pushed around a bit in the ruck, but competed really well around the ground.
  • Hartigan - struggles to get his head right. Needs to be put on a short leash by the coaching group.
  • Mackay - his nickname should be rag-doll. He competed well but his disposal seemed off.
  • Jenkins - one of the worst performances I have seen from someone who needed to show a change in attitude and effort. Looked like he didn't want to be out there.
  • Keath - injured, bugger.
I would suggest that the Crows Coaching group would be ecstatic with the pre-season hit outs. Surely they have a clear idea of what we can take to Melbourne for round 1 now?
I reckon we'd be feeling a bit confused re what our best 22 looks like as not many fringe guys demanded a spot other than Doedee and perhaps Fogarty

I think Milera will end up getting selected without a JLT game

I reckon we'd be feeling a bit confused re what our best 22 looks like as not many fringe guys demanded a spot other than Doedee and perhaps Fogarty

I saw Milera in the Twos yesterday, he looked a long, long, way from being ready for round one. More like round four if everything goes well.

We just have to accept that Bran Nue Mackae is a certainty for round one.

Based on 2017 disposal efficiency

Players who burnt the ball more than Gibson

Matt Crouch
Rory Sloane
DMAC
Atkins
Jacobs
Brad Crouch
Jenkins :)
Greenwood
Douglas
Lynch
Tex

:D
If you break down the kicking v handball disposal efficiency, you will get a different story!

Yesterday Gibson had around half handballs (13/27 possessions) & 67% disposal efficiency, which meant he stuffed up 9/14 of his kicks!

Also, most of the players mentioned above take more risk with many of their kicks, so they have higher reward with many of their disposals, where Gibson is rarely damaging with his disposals as usually takes the safe option.

JJ DID have runs on the board, but they’re all gone after he was poor for a lot of 2017 imo, despite the goal output.

His general softness and lack of want to attack any contest with some hardness is crap. Doesn’t really provide a good down the line target now either and doesn’t do a whole lot around the ground.

People defended him saying he was injured. Well now he’s had a whole PS and been given 2 JLT games to come out and show that he’s put that pitiful mentality behind him, and he’s done sweet **** all.

The way he goes up for contests so half arsed really shits me. Or he just falls to the ground in a heap like a kid that’s just had his candy taken away. Then he spends a few minutes scrambling away trying to tackle people, but it looks more like someone playing pin the tail on the donkey.

His nothing efforts in the first quarter alone were enough to drive me crazy, and yes it is a huge concern, considering we’ve got another 3 years of this shit show to come!
I noticed a long chat to Pykey on the phone as early as the first quarter . I think the coaches are becoming tired of his picking and choosing and I can see them taking a stand and playing him in SANFL even if we have injuries to other forwards

Would not surprise me to see a smaller forward line with CEY playing mid/ forward and 2nd ruck

At the end of the game I got this feeling that our leaders should’ve been played a fortnight ago against Freo.. Sloane, Betts, Talia, Hartigan... all just looked a little underdone and struggled.. just looked like the off season cobwebs were still holding them back... I think they will all take a lot from the game. A third JLT game would come in handy right now..

Now is a good time to look rusty to be fair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would add Murphy too as he has put his hand up, even though quieter yesterday.

If we think Milera can get through a full game, I would play him ahead of Mackay/Gibson, but our coaching group are conservative...

Port got back into the game from the desperation of two guys who want to play round one. Barry and Bonner. It was like these two guys abandoned the short kicking style and went run and carry with fast movement. Any time they went slow and short they failed to score. Any time Bonner and Barry took the game on they did well. They will bring in SPP, Boak and Rocky for round one. Will be interesting to see how they play then.
Fair bit of discussion in the group I was with about Ports chip game especially in the backline. The opposing arguments were around the time it allows the opposition to set up and harrass V making the opposition break those defensive lines to then shoot over the top. In the 1st half Port struggled and panicked this part of the game and got caught out. The 2nd half they looked a lot better and as you note changed it up for a much better result

I would add Murphy too as he has put his hand up, even though quieter yesterday.

If we think Milera can get through a full game, I would play him ahead of Mackay/Gibson, but our coaching group are conservative...
They are conservative but not stupid , they have parachuted guys in before without playing the last JLT game and they highly rate Milera

Looks like Murphy will play but will Hampton ?

All joking aside ....the Social Media attacks after the GF, and the ADEL Fishbowl, may have in fact broken his will

He puts himself out there with his mouth. If that's true, then he's only got himself to blame. Not that I think it's likely, he just plays shit if he's not getting pressureless ball. There's really no change there at all.

Fair bit of discussion in the group I was with about Ports chip game especially in the backline. The opposing arguments were around the time it allows the opposition to set up and harrass V making the opposition break those defensive lines to then shoot over the top. In the 1st half Port struggled and panicked this part of the game and got caught out. The 2nd half they looked a lot better and as you note changed it up for a much better result
We weren't able to pressure their running half backs eg Bonner and this is the problem with losing Cameron and being top heavy

Going to be an issue at times

They are conservative but not stupid , they have parachuted guys in before without playing the last JLT game and they highly rate Milera

Looks like Murphy will play but will Hampton ?
Would have thought Hampton is a near certainty as he would be high on tackles & pressure acts for the team in preseason & with Knight & Gallucci missing who else plays?

He needs to be cleaner with his decision making. Ie. Not think too much. Can only improve this by playing in the heat of the AFL.

Walk up start ahead of Fogarty ??? ....nice to see you believe in rewarding form and EFFORT.
That's the attitude of a GF losing side right there.

JJ and Fogarty aren't competing for the same position currently, and with our ruck stocks as they are, JJ is pretty safe unfortunately.

Dear, and Himmelburg showing some life are the things we need to happen to replace JJ.

It was 35 degrees in the shade yesterday and probably 45-50 in the centre of the ground.. we were playing a team on their home turf.. we were trialing a lot of different structures after half time and playing a few new guys in the team.. it was the first real hit out for many of our leaders..:. and it was a trial match.

I think we can blame AFLX for this.
12 days we’ll know how we’re really looking.

Would have thought Hampton is a near certainty as he would be high on tackles & pressure acts for the team in preseason & with Knight & Gallucci missing who else plays?

He needs to be cleaner with his decision making. Ie. Not think too much. Can only improve this by playing in the heat of the AFL.
Agreed - has to play mainly forward to apply pressure

Remove this Banner Ad

JLT2 - Game Day Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back