News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

I've obviously got a lot of empathy for him and hopefully we can work through it, but there's a few things we've got to work through still," he said.

"The timeline is a difficult one, because you're dealing with more than just one person. There's a fair few people we need to deal with.

"Unfortunately he's put himself in this position and now we've got to get it right. I think he understands that."

A bit more elaboration from Simpsons press conference. Can read into that he’s likely to be staying but there’s work to do around how that proceeds

Right, so know a few members of the family and the inner circle and the club has already tiptoed about this information before.

Willie outside of the pot smoking has multiple issues. He's not very bright, he's very naive in regards to the consequences of his actions and outside of being a brilliant football player who wants to do the best for his family he's can't cope in the city and with the constant rigours of AFL without supervision. These are just plain truths.

To then have a very simple man ostracised for almost 2 years lends to a very low emotional state, a lack of trust of almost anything or one who is not directly with him and that lends to further issues.

If the club doesn't keep Rioli and provide him with large amounts of help (without going over the top on conditions of bringing him back as he will then believe no-one at the club trusts him) we will not only lose him from the game but his life will likely turn into a shit spiral and things will keep coming up in news again and again and again until he is a broken man or not with us.

The other thing that needs factoring here is that player agents and the other clubs in the league will be presenting him with options making it seem as though the world is a beautiful place anywhere other than west coast with less restrictions, more support, more pay etc. etc. If we cut him and he goes to another club expect the whole AFL centric vic crew to sweep anything minor under the carpet and for him to have a successful career if he gets picked up (he will and probably on a 2-3 year contract with minimal restrictions)

Right, so know a few members of the family and the inner circle and the club has already tiptoed about this information before.

Willie outside of the pot smoking has multiple issues. He's not very bright, he's very naive in regards to the consequences of his actions and outside of being a brilliant football player who wants to do the best for his family he's can't cope in the city and with the constant rigours of AFL without supervision. These are just plain truths.

To then have a very simple man ostracised for almost 2 years lends to a very low emotional state, a lack of trust of almost anything or one who is not directly with him and that lends to further issues.

If the club doesn't keep Rioli and provide him with large amounts of help (without going over the top on conditions of bringing him back as he will then believe no-one at the club trusts him) we will not only lose him from the game but his life will likely turn into a sh*t spiral and things will keep coming up in news again and again and again until he is a broken man or not with us.

The other thing that needs factoring here is that player agents and the other clubs in the league will be presenting him with options making it seem as though the world is a beautiful place anywhere other than west coast with less restrictions, more support, more pay etc. etc. If we cut him and he goes to another club expect the whole AFL centric vic crew to sweep anything minor under the carpet and for him to have a successful career if he gets picked up (he will and probably on a 2-3 year contract with minimal restrictions)
Your last two paragraphs don’t really line up. If WC doesn’t keep and support him, it sounds like we won’t lose him to the game because another club will snatch him up.

Don’t doubt the rest of it though

Your last two paragraphs don’t really line up. If WC doesn’t keep and support him, it sounds like we won’t lose him to the game because another club will snatch him up.

Don’t doubt the rest of it though

The last paragraph is likely what happens if we lose him. However the third paragraph is what almost certainly happens if he is cut and nobody takes the chance.

If the club doesn't keep Rioli and provide him with large amounts of help (without going over the top on conditions of bringing him back as he will then believe no-one at the club trusts him) we will not only lose him from the game but his life will likely turn into a sh*t spiral and things will keep coming up in news again and again and again until he is a broken man or not with us.

The only thing I question from above post is Willy's life turning into a sh*t spiral if dropped from WCE? Why is this an automatic given? It's just pot not Meth! (not like a Cousins thing)
Willy has apparently been working at different jobs in his time off, granted he has young family to care for. But like many up there he would just continue picking up work, probably play local footy, smoke pot, go fishing and mudcrabbing, just live a normal life.

The only problem Willy has is playing AFL and wanting to smoke pot at the same time?
Yes, It would be very disappointing for him to lose his AFL contract, but it doesn't mean it's the end of the world for him? (putting aside the fact that he'd probably be enlisted by another club)

The only thing I question from above post is Willy's life turning into a sh*t spiral if dropped from WCE? Why is this an automatic given? It's just pot not Meth! (not like a Cousins thing)
Willy has apparently been working at different jobs in his time off, granted he has young family to care for. But like many up there he would just continue picking up work, probably play local footy, smoke pot, go fishing and mudcrabbing, just live a normal life.

The only problem Willy has is playing AFL and wanting to smoke pot at the same time?
Yes, It would be very disappointing for him to lose his AFL contract, but it doesn't mean it's the end of the world for him? (putting aside the fact that he'd probably be enlisted by another club)

The black dog is a curse. Would play on his mind forever. While there is/was hope of an AFL future there was always that light at the end of the tunnel. You take away that light and provide a situation where it would play on and on and on and I just see a very dark ending.

I joined the military in 2002 and left at the end of my first term of service. I suffer from PTSD dreams every single night and have had issues with depression and anxiety itself. If no club was willing to take him, it would be a very tough bucket to have to kick down the road every step of the rest of your life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would hope that in the unlikely event that the club doesn't want him that they keep him on the list until the end of the year and then trade him as a contracted player rather than chop him in time for the mid season draft and he goes elsewhere for zero compensation. They don't have to play him.

Last edited:
Lol, I just saw on The West as part of the heading, SHOCK DECISION. I immediately panicked thinking surely we wouldn’t be sacking him! I am not sure as to who at the West would think this decision is a shock, they are honestly trolls of the highest order (like most mainstream media I guess) 🤦‍♂️

Lol, I just saw on The West as part of the heading, SHOCK DECISION. I immediately panicked thinking surely we wouldn’t be sacking him! I am not sure as to who at the West would think this decision is a shock, they are honestly trolls of the highest order (like most mainstream media I guess) 🤦‍♂️
Did you click on it?

Rhino with the good oil

Good. Gives Willie a carrot to play and a stick to those playing in the team now, to play their absolute best footy lest they get forced out.

Sends the right message, we're ruthless and we want the best players on the field, because the Premiership is what counts. Richmond was a ****ing trainwreck last year, but no one gives a **** about their culture good or bad now, because they won the flag.

So say all the right buzz words, do all the nice things, but if he's fit and ready, get him in the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back