Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously though, I love this. Woosha is hands down the biggest figure in the club's history and it will be great to have him involved with this next generation.

Firstly, the creation of a head of football role is a great outcome. It's badly needed.

Secondly, the choice of Worsfold... is not terrible. There are probably better options, but they are most likely to be in Victoria, and it can be difficult getting senior people to move. Worsfold is probably as good a local choice as anyone going around.

For people wanting change... it's hard to ask much more from Pyke. It's been a complete 180 since he's been in charge.

Love the appointment.

To quote Glenn Frey on all things Eagle’s.

“We never broke up, we just took a 12 year vacation.”

The Band is getting back togther.

Maybe 🤔, just maybe the Club I fell in love with is getting it’s mojo back.

Bring it on . 👍💙💛

Last edited:
And here i thought the "we're getting the crew back together for one last job" trope was overdone.
WCE now stands for the west coast expendables.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

head of football...wasnt this that bell guys role? footy manager...

Bell is football manager

This role sits above that - basically Pyke’s right hand man overlooking the entire football department

It’s probably an acknowledgment that Bell is still relatively inexperienced after being put in the role when Vozzo left.

I think Bell is fine but this puts more experience into our football department and will assist McQualter to settle in as he finds his feet

We were chasing Danny Daly from Brisbane for this role but Worsfold is an equally good appointment. Arguably better due to his connection to the club and the instant gravitas he brings

He’s done a lot since leaving the club as coach in 2013 including helping to right the ship somewhat at two clubs in difficult circumstances- Adelaide as a football director following the murder of Phil Walsh and Essendon after the drugs fiasco

Can someone enlighten a noob like myself with exactly what he will be doing as head of football operations? So he is kinda in charge of Mini?

Yes, basically.

They will be looking to isolate McQualter’s responsibilities to simply being ‘Senior Coach’.

I would imagine it’s something along the lines of…

Pyke -> Worsfold -> Bell = McQualter = Clarke = Pearce (if you like..)

How it works with Bell and Worsfold is probably the most interesting situation.

A manager for the footy manager?..

WEST Coast has bolstered its off-field support around new coach Andrew McQualter with the appointment of premiership hero John Worsfold as its new head of football.

Worsfold, who has been a pivotal figure in three of the Eagles' four premierships, has returned to the club in a full-time role after more than a decade to work across the AFL, AFLW and WAFL programs.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/1236224/two-flag-tigers-move-to-eagles-confirmed
In a significant appointment that addresses multiple off-field areas, the 2006 premiership coach will oversee coaching structure and development, performance and culture.

The 56-year-old's return to the club comes after nearly four years working as general manager of people and culture for mining and earthmoving equipment company Emeco Group.

IMG_0266.gif

As a close non-West Coast mate of mine said, is this not a bit undermining for Andrew McQualter? Casts somewhat of a large shadow over him if the old champion coach is there looming over him does it not?

Or hopefully it's more a "here's everything I know kinda mentorship, go knock em dead approach".

As a close non-West Coast mate of mine said, is this not a bit undermining for Andrew McQualter? Casts somewhat of a large shadow over him if the old champion coach is there looming over him does it not?

Or hopefully it's more a "here's everything I know kinda mentorship, go knock em dead approach".
More like "Don't worry about this irrelevant shit you shouldn't be bothering with, just focus on coaching the team and put your all into it."

From Simpson's comments around the Covid cuts, he ended up having to do a hell of a lot more due to the lack of staff.

More experienced hands on deck is always a good thing, provided they don't get in each others' way of course.

Don't think Woosha's the type to do that though.

Woosha won’t do that, he will 💯 respect the coach and not do anything to undermine anyone imo. It all would have been laid out before they even considered bringing him in.

They needed to hire Woosha back so that McQualter's nickname made sense. The silverback's back boys.

gorilla hurrying GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

Back