Klug

Team Captain
Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Woodville West Torrens FC
Can anyone explain how this term originated?

I had never heard of it before this year, and now you can't mention Josh Jenkins in any media article without hearing about 'Joe the Goose'.

In the interest of research and fun I looked into this. This reference from 1924 refers to a horse with sore shoulders being known as '' Joe the Goose'' . A similar date gives another reference to a person who became known in outback South Australia as a ''jockey'' who never '' missed''

The earliest newspaper reference is to someone calling himself '' Joe the Goose'' in 1911. It is a Legal Term denoting the straying of cattle onto anothers property.

At a guess I would suggest that the horse idea is closest in meaning to what we want. Someone with sore shoulders - cant raise them above their heads to take a mark- is given an easy handball and so ''never misses''

Can anyone explain how this term originated?

I had never heard of it before this year, and now you can't mention Josh Jenkins in any media article without hearing about 'Joe the Goose'.

Originated back in 1905, Sturt full forward Joe Johnson would regularly pinch the buttocks of opposing full backs which would cause them to feel mighty uncomfortable and have them running away from big, butch Joe, who would be left by himself in the goal square for the easy goal.

He was made famous for the quote "every time I get a behind, a goal isn't to far away"

Originated back in 1905, Sturt full forward Joe Johnson would regularly pinch the buttocks of opposing full backs which would cause them to feel mighty uncomfortable and have them running away from big, butch Joe, who would be left by himself in the goal square for the easy goal.

He was made famous for the quote "every time I get a behind, a goal isn't to far away"
Haha! :D

It seems like a derogatory term, but if anyone's smart enough to get into the goal square without their opposition player any where near them, they're pretty smart. And if it happens all the time, they're even smarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha! :D

It seems like a derogatory term, but if anyone's smart enough to get into the goal square without their opposition player any where near them, they're pretty smart. And if it happens all the time, they're even smarter.

It was derogatory because in the past, when full forwards stayed at full forward and only came out of the forward 50 if the siren rang, they were last in the chain. They hadn't moved from the square the whole time and only got the ball when the full back left him to try and pressure the ball carrier, that is why it is seen as a put down to the goal scorer.

Jenkins is a little different in the fact that he out sprints his opponent when we have the ball ( and lets not get me started on him showing tht same enthusiasm to chase an opponent with the ball...if he did, he'd be much closer to being a 750k player) so when we do get a mark inside 50 he is continuing to run hard to give the option, which to me, is a good thing. For a team that can kick 12-28, we need all the JTGs we can get

It was derogatory because in the past, when full forwards stayed at full forward and only came out of the forward 50 if the siren rang, they were last in the chain. They hadn't moved from the square the whole time and only got the ball when the full back left him to try and pressure the ball carrier, that is why it is seen as a put down to the goal scorer.

Jenkins is a little different in the fact that he out sprints his opponent when we have the ball ( and lets not get me started on him showing tht same enthusiasm to chase an opponent with the ball...if he did, he'd be much closer to being a 750k player) so when we do get a mark inside 50 he is continuing to run hard to give the option, which to me, is a good thing. For a team that can kick 12-28, we need all the JTGs we can get
I remember as a kid watching the Jumbo Prince getting a few JTG's. It had more to do with strength and smarts for him though as apposed to athletic ability.

Good point. Isolate him and let him run back towards goal

This could also be the origins of that other great game..Duck Duck Goose:)

I believe Pagan's Paddock was the first real use of forwards running toward goal to get the ball as an actual gameplan. We take it for granted now, but t was groundbreaking at the time.

Opposed to forwards leading out from the goal square and meeting the ball front on.

Got to wonder how the game would have evolved had Carey not had the courage to do this regularly and Pagan to have faith in Carey to do so.

This is a big part of Carey and Pagan's legacy to the game.

This may only be a coincidence but back in the mid sixties Joseph Le Gauze was drafted into the Onkaparinga Valley Firsts during a tight grand final after three of Onka's forwards went down. As far as I can recall, Joseph was a member of the crowd for the first half. The club dragged him into the changeroom at half time, suited him up and sent him onto the field late in the final quarter. I think we could say that this was his debut game. He only had one kick in his illustrious career -- it came with three minutes left on the clock.

Onka were three points down. Somehow, close to goal, the ball fell into Joseph's hands. He dropped it and fell over. Somehow, in the act of falling over, his foot made accidental contact with the ball and it tumbled over the line for a goal. That goal was against the passage of the play. To everybody's immense surprise, it put Onka in front and they managed to escape with the win.

There were numerous investigations afterwards but, apart from wearing non-regulation socks, nobody could find any rule in the book at the time to take the cup away from Onkaparinga. Not unsurprisingly, the rules for player registration and on-field substitution were tightened up after that game.

Joseph was given free beers for a year at the Great Eastern at Littlehampton but he refused to discuss that game with anyone. This may be one reason why this important moment in the development of the rules of the national game is recalled by very few people.

The other point, of course, is that Joseph hated beer. He only drank gewurztraminer which, of course, the Great Eastern refused to stock.

I remember as a kid watching the Jumbo Prince getting a few JTG's. It had more to do with strength and smarts for him though as apposed to athletic ability.

It is kind of funny to think of Davies now in the scheme of things with football now. He was only 6 foot 2 but a ruckman...he was 3cms shorter than Mitch McGovern who is considered too small to be a KPF. His size actually counted against him at VFL level but in the SANFL, he was a dead set behemouth at 188 and probably weighing close to 100kgs when he took up the FF position.

I used to go and watch Sturt play most times as a kid, even though I was a Tiges supporter because my best two mates were double blues supporters and I have never regretted it because I got to watch the player that I rank second to Gary Ablett as the best footballer I have ever seen...such a pity that car accident wrecked his career, he was such a talent.

It is kind of funny to think of Davies now in the scheme of things with football now. He was only 6 foot 2 but a ruckman...he was 3cms shorter than Mitch McGovern who is considered too small to be a KPF. His size actually counted against him at VFL level but in the SANFL, he was a dead set behemouth at 188 and probably weighing close to 100kgs when he took up the FF position.

I used to go and watch Sturt play most times as a kid, even though I was a Tiges supporter because my best two mates were double blues supporters and I have never regretted it because I got to watch the player that I rank second to Gary Ablett as the best footballer I have ever seen...such a pity that car accident wrecked his career, he was such a talent.

Mods was only 188cm

I would call that an urban myth JohnK but it happened in the country so it must be true

:'(

You can cast aspersions, GreyCrow, but it was common knowledge at the time that the Great Eastern had a very poor selection of wines during that period, in spite of being a couple of spits from the Barossa Valley and barely a breath from a strong contingent of Germans at Hahndorf.

I recall that they kept a flagon of sherry "for the ladies" and another flagon of port for "ceremonial occasions". Whatever they were. They also had a couple of bottles of VinSpa on the top shelf but, in the time I spent there, I don't recall them ever being opened.

Remove this Banner Ad

Joe the Goose overload

Remove this Banner Ad

Back