Certified Legendary Thread Joel Selwood - Premiership Captain and 4 time Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a bad CV to have next to your name:

AFL games: 355 (W259, L95, D1 - winning percentage 72.96 per cent)
AFL goals: 175
Captaincy: 2012-2022 (245 games)
Career averages: 24.7 disposals, 11.2 contested possessions, 5.1 tackles, 5.2 clearances
Brownlow votes: 214 (No.7 in all-time rankings)
Honours: Premiership player (2007, 2009, 2001, 2022),
Premiership captain (2022)
Six-time All-Australian (2009, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017 - captain, 2013, 2014, 2016)
Three-time club best and fairest (2010, 2013, 2014)
AFL Rising Star (2007)
Four-time AFLPA Most Courageous Player (2009, 2012, 2013, 2014)
Records: Most AFL finals games (40 - W22, L18), Most games as captain (245)

Last edited:
God the SDK anecdote wrecked me

I think SDK said to him what we all wanted to say in that moment: He knew it was probably Selwoods last game but couldnt believe he would finish while he was still playing so well.

Think we got a good one in SDK to take over the mantle in a few years.

Let's all make sure we say a big thanks to the Dawks for taking some bloke nobody remembers at pick 6 that year. THANKS DAWKS!
If anyone sees Chris Pelchen at a pub buy him a beer and say thanks for the past 16years

With respect lads that's not a Geelong type response , that in your face type humour isn't what Selwood has instilled over his tenure :think:

I will never ever ever forget all those games that by his sheer will and on ball brilliance Joel dragged his team across the battlefield to victory. No other Geelong player has ever shown that level of determination and self sacrifice, and no other Geelong player has the winning record he has. He is the greatest Cat of them all.

It doesn't sound like he knows what he is doing yet next? I imagine if he was staying at Geelong he would have said something?
Take the year, welcome the baby into the world and then do whatever the heck he wants to

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to pay tribute to a true colossus of the footy club. As transformational a player as there has been, epitomised the standards you walk past are the standards you accept.

You have my gratitude for eternity Skipper, no more fitting tribute for you to go out with some gas in the tank having hoisted the premiership cup in your last match. It was meant to be.

Joel redefined what it meant to be a player and captain at the Geelong Footy Club.

We were lucky enough to have two fantastic captains before him with Harley and Ling... but I don't think they left as much of a mark as this man did.

But I think it's what he's done off the field that's been the most impressive part. Obviously his incredible acts of kindness on the weekend have been well-documented, but I doubt we'll ever fully realise just how much work in the community and for the club he did.

That for me is what separates him from the other captains and greats of the Cats.

Can't believe it's done, but it's a fitting end for a giant of the game.

My son is devo. Joel started when he was five and he's only really known the Cats with J.Selwood in the team, leading like a raging bull.

Our last 3 long tenure captains were all magnificent men and players (M.Bairstow, T.Harley, Joel)... but Joel is an absolute Titan amongst all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Joel Selwood - Premiership Captain and 4 time Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back