Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Nov 12, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
B.Celtics, FC Barcelona, Leeds Utd
That's what he has written, in two seperate articles in the HUN in the past couple of days ...

If those two players are considered 'elite' by Ralph standards, then probably Gary Ablett and Chris Judd should be classed as demi-gods

That is ridiculous to call those two type of players 'elite' and further proof of how some journos honestly overrate grossly some of the more 'average' players in the comp.

Now Wells had the potential to be elite, but be it through injuries or other reasons, has failed to live up to his potential, although we have seen it in glimpses, hasn't done enough to be considered Elite, and Stanton is to me, in the words of Rex Hunt 'a good, ordinary player', nothing more and certainly nowhere near the 'elite' players of the comp.

Stanton has elite midfielder endurance and wins plenty of ball. But you would be barking mad to say he is remotely as damaging as Ablett and Judd.

Wells is too inconsistent, his best is sublime but its not displayed often enough. If he is elite, so is Jared Brennan.

Both too inconsistent and get shut down way too easily. Stanton, although improved, does not use the ball no where near as well as he should.

Ohhh no, not the f***ing elite debate again. The mods should start a sub-board for discussions about which players are elite.

And let me tell you something, you'll never be elite unless you've been here:

topgun470.jpg

Brent Stanton is much better than a good ordinary player you turncoat flog.

Neither of them are elite by my personal definition of the word..... and seeing as the word 'elite' is very subjective then any discussions on 'elite' status are quite pointless.

Brent Stanton is much better than a good ordinary player you turncoat flog.

Neither of them are elite by my personal definition of the word..... and seeing as the word 'elite' is very subjective then any discussions on 'elite' status are quite pointless.

Isn't "good ordinary player" equally subjective?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read the whole article. They aren't the only poor calls.

He's also got Cyril Rioli as elite. Justin Westhoff as "Potential elite" and Lachlan Hansen as a "Potential B Grader".

Isn't "good ordinary player" equally subjective?

Maybe, but ''good ordinary player'' is a phrase/concept coined a long time ago by Jack Dyer? and I think everybody has a fairly clear understanding of what that means. Wouldnt you say it us much clearer restrictions and limitations than 'elite'?

'elite' is just a word......you could argue every player in the league is elite.....or maybe only 5 are.....or maybe 50.

He's also got Cyril Rioli as elite. Justin Westhoff as "Potential elite" and Lachlan Hansen as a "Potential B Grader".

That made me laugh. Are North fans supposed to be pleased with this prediction? I dont think I have ever heard the phrase ''potential B grader'' in my life.

elite has now officially became a generic term for a good player i.e Legend + Champion. Thank you media for killing the definition of another word.

Another bad call is Urquhart as a potential elite player.

Urquhart will be as elite as Grigg or Reimers.

Elite should be reserved for young players such as Gibbs, Selwood, Rioli, Kreuzer, Cotchin, Rich, et al.

Another bad call is Urquhart as a potential elite player.

Urquhart will be as elite as Grigg or Reimers.

Elite should be reserved for young players such as Gibbs, Selwood, Rioli, Kreuzer, Cotchin, Rich, et al.

Strange you should say that. I rate Riemers as being the best chance of any young Essendon player becoming A grade.

Ryder, Riemers and Zaharakis are the ones i would pick thus far.

Ryder, Reimers, Dempsey and Hurley will be A graders (if Ryder isn't A grade already).

I left Hurley out because he has only played 1 game. Not saying he can't be.

Dempsey possibly but the 3 i am extremely confident about are Riemers, Ryder and Zaharakis.

Our friend dismissed Riemers like he is only ever bound to be some B grade plodder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back