Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can’t believe Millane has been brought into this thread to score cheap points.

Well he was Far from a Saint Off-Field and IF he was not a Drinker then maybe he never Dies in a Car Crash

Different coach have different approaches to players with non conformist personalities and different coaches have different definitions of conformity. Given we had a significant culture change programme I think it's doubtful. Some agree and some don't.

No worries, I'll defer to your intimate knowledge of the players, the coach, and their relevant interactions as from a layman's perspective, Bucks doesn't appear to have too many issues with players and their individual peccadillos.

Yes, he, or at least the club, has drawn a line in the sand on Heater (just how many chances did he actually need if you disagree with moving him on?) and Harry O (just how much team/club/world focus needed to be on any 1 individual?) but to counter that we have exhibit A - Dane Swan so evidently it's not as self evident as some choose to project. If it brings you some measure of comfort to project that it is an issue then so be it, I'll happily disagree as in reality it's no more than a 1st world internet beat-up.

Well he was Far from a Saint Off-Field and IF he was not a Drinker then maybe he never Dies in a Car Crash

Accidents happen with or without alcohol, Peter Motley a case in point.

While he didn't do himself any favours in that instance, Darren Millane was an un-heralded community benefactor who spent more than his fair share of time at the children's hospital visiting sick kids among other community activity. I don't think anyone has the right to besmirch his character. Yes, he was a bit of a lad, but 1 of the nicest easiest going Collingwood Football Club players I've ever met.

Last edited:
The question was raised whether Millane would have lasted under Buckley.

It’s a very tacky question to hypothesise over given the fact that his uncontrollable off field behaviour lead to his death.

and that was in a Very Different Era compared to Today

No worries, I'll defer to your intimate knowledge of the players, the coach, and their relevant interactions as from a layman's perspective, Bucks doesn't appear to have too many issues with players and their individual peccadillos.

Yes, he, or at least the club, has drawn a line in the sand on Heater (just how many chances did he actually need if you disagree with moving him on?) and Harry O (just how much team/club/world focus needed to be on any 1 individual?) but to counter that we have exhibit A - Dane Swan so evidently it's not as self evident as some choose to project. If it brings you some measure of comfort to project that it is an issue then so be it, I'll happily disagree as in reality it's no more than a 1st world internet beat-up.

Or better yet you could defer to Swanny’s by reading his book :thumbsu:

From what I can see, players only seem to be jettisoned by the club when they can't back up their off field behaviour on game day. The club stuck by Shaw and Didak all through their shenanigans. We even re-signed Shaw the season he was canned. The only thing that changed was that Shaw f#cked up big time during the elimination final and Didak lost his x factor. Same goes with Marley. The club stuck by him through all his off field crap right up until he started playing rubbish footy. Beams was just as much of a loose cannon as those guys except he was still performing hence why we didn't want to lose him. Ditto Swan.

I actually like this policy of "Do what you want off field but play bad footy at your own peril"

From what I can see, players only seem to be jettisoned by the club when they can't back up their off field behaviour on game day. The club stuck by Shaw and Didak all through their shenanigans. We even re-signed Shaw the season he was canned. The only thing that changed was that Shaw f#cked up big time during the elimination final and Didak lost his x factor. Same goes with Marley. The club stuck by him through all his off field crap right up until he started playing rubbish footy. Beams was just as much of a loose cannon as those guys except he was still performing hence why we didn't want to lose him. Ditto Swan.

I actually like this policy of "Do what you want off field but play bad footy at your own peril"

I think with Shaw it was more a case of publicly flouting the coaches instructions and playing the fool. I think Shaw was a great loss, but you can't have that. He's really pulled his head in up at GWS, which was the right thing to do.

Happy for you to quote the relevant extracts.

Sod off as if I’m going to go to that effort for your pleasure!

He commented that if he’d have entered the game under Buckley he wouldn’t have lasted. It wasn’t a crack or anything untoward it was simply an acknowledgement that Buckley operates along the lines of Mark’s post.

As Jasper rightly pointed out it appears Buckley will tolerate it as long as you perform. It is what it is.

He commented that if he’d have entered the game under Buckley he wouldn’t have lasted. It wasn’t a crack or anything untoward it was simply an acknowledgement that Buckley operates along the lines of Mark’s post.

As Jasper rightly pointed out it appears Buckley will tolerate it as long as you perform. It is what it is.
would swan have lasted at any current club though? A lot has changes since the early 2000s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

would swan have lasted at any current club though? A lot has changes since the early 2000s.

Definitely, IMO. All of Lyon, Clarkson, C Scott, Eade, Hinkley, Hardwick and Worsfold come across as coaches that would allow old school freedoms the like of MM. I guess it largely depends on how much of an opportunity you get to imprint on the coach before enough is enough.

I would say that this is one of the areas Buckley has grown in, but outwardly he still has a long way to go (as Phillips’ comments suggest).

Definitely, IMO. All of Lyon, Clarkson, C Scott, Eade, Hinkley, Hardwick and Worsfold come across as coaches that would allow old school freedoms the like of MM. I guess it largely depends on how much of an opportunity you get to imprint on the coach before enough is enough.

I would say that this is one of the areas Buckley has grown in, but outwardly he still has a long way to go (as Phillips’ comments suggest).
yeah you might be right, maybe the better question is whether swan would even have been recruited in the first place although that's not relevant here.

It’s a very tacky question to hypothesise over given the fact that his uncontrollable off field behaviour lead to his death.
I dare say Bucks would've loved his passion, hard at it attitude & leadership potential... just like he does Taylor Adams. Tay has been & still is an aggressive character, who has learned to control it, due to the professionalism now required, and no doubt with Bucks' support & mentorship. The man-love & respect between the two also appears to be 100% mutual...

That is my reading of it. The club will tolerate when the cost benefit favours the club, will act when the pendulum swings the other way. Just not sure what that says about Bucks in terms of his man management.

From the outside, his relationships seem consistent with the entire playing group. I've seen him even at VFL level take the time during huddles for a 1-1 chat with certain players like Oxley, Williams, DeGoey and Fas. It always seems positive and instructional.

So it was an admission from Swan that his commitment to senior footy and his off-field behavior early was questionable and a guess that it might have turned out different in 2012 than in 2002.

I dare say Bucks would've loved his passion, hard at it attitude & leadership potential... just like he does Taylor Adams. Tay has been & still is an aggressive character, who has learned to control it, due to the professionalism now required, and no doubt with Bucks' support & mentorship. The man-love & respect between the two also appears to be 100% mutual...

Agree, even Cloke stills speaks highly of his relationship with Bucks, they just disagreed on how he should play.

I think you're overreacting. The questioner was merely pointing out that three of the best Collingwood players many of us have seen, who all played massive roles in Collingwood Premierships, have been renowned party boys.

So it was an admission from Swan that his commitment to senior footy and his off-field behavior early was questionable and a guess that it might have turned out different in 2012 than in 2002.

No, he was as committed as anyone on game day it was simply an admission that he went about it his way and that Buckley was on a different wavelength (at least for a long while there).

He would have been even more unlikely to make it had it been non-negotiable that he commit to a different standard. He was a different cat which is a big part of why he was so special and conforming would have been the end for him. MM understood that.

The comments were far more nuanced and in context than the black and white picture you’re painting. As I posted read it for yourself if you’d like a better understanding!

I think you're overreacting. The questioner was merely pointing out that three of the best Collingwood players many of us have seen, who all played massive roles in Collingwood Premierships, have been renowned party boys.

No, the post was a very unsubtle Buckley sledge, on a thread based on an unverified rumour about De Goey.

I hardly see how speculating about what might have been 30 years ago contributes to the thread. Who knows, with a tough love coach like Buckley, maybe Millane would still be alive today....

No, the post was a very unsubtle Buckley sledge, on a thread based on an unverified rumour about De Goey.

I hardly see how speculating about what might have been 30 years ago contributes to the thread. Who knows, with a tough love coach like Buckley, maybe Millane would still be alive today....
He was referring to Millane'footballing greatness to try to make a point on bigfooty.com. You're the one who is distastefully referring to his death to try to make a point on bigfooty

He was referring to Millane'footballing greatness to try to make a point on bigfooty.com. You're the one who is distastefully referring to his death to try to make a point on bigfooty

Not sure who the “he” is you refer to but the post I’m referring to made a very tenuous and tacky and off topic reference to Millane for the purposes of bagging out Buckley. What Millane has to do with DeGoey running the tan with a coach I do not know.

I only referred to Millanes death because my original point (about bringing him into the thread being tacky point scoring) seemed to go over people’s heads .

Last edited:
I'd just like to question this myth of Swanny being an out-and-out party boy anomaly. This consensus that he's some sort of alternative rebel without a cause who wouldn't put in on the track but just lit up on game days cos he's a footballer's footballer and was doing it on instinct.

That's all so much crap, overblown because he's covered in ink and has a nose ring.

I am struggling to think of once when he did not show 100 per cent commitment to the Magpies cause. How many times has he tested positive to the drugs everyone thinks he took because of his tough stickers and his larrikin persona?? yes, that's right, none.

The bloke was a gut-running powerhouse who never shirked one session at training. He made one mistake when he was a kid and it served as a kick up the arse. He could not have become the superstar footballer he was, eking out every last bit of talent, without that steely determination... don't let the image fool you.

I think you'll find he had plenty in common with Buckley in their approaches to the game. Maybe not off the field as mates but on it they are two of the most relentless competitors i have seen play the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back