Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So do I hope the Club backs him 100% as they have done since day 1

When will De Goey start doing the same in return do you think?
Don't know if he will or not. That's what I meant when I said it was up to him. He'll either wake up and work his ass off to be successful or he won't. I hope it's the former.

I don’t believe they turn a blind eye I just don’t think they’re as proactive as they could be with preventative measures.

What I would like the club to do is everything in their power to provide players the tools to not be in situations like this. If the club had done just that I don’t believe this punishment would have been possible. They can also respond by simply saying that they’d done just what I said above and despite that he made a terrible error in judgement so we’ll continue working with him to help him make better decisions. If that can’t be done then at some point in the future you part ways.

It really comes down to whether you think the club has done enough behind the scenes? Given everything we’ve heard and read in this thread I’m as close to certain as one can be that we haven’t. It’s a symptom of why we continue to wallow in mediocrity, IMO.

I tend to agree but the is also a part of me that has to wonder how much more the Club, (or AFL clubs in general) have to do to stop these kids from making basic life errors. If you believe the spin that comes out of the AFL, and clubs, these kids are put through courses that teach them about drink driving, treating women with respect, avoiding drug issues etc etc etc. They get their hands held a lot more than the average kid out there. It pisses me off actually that they still don't get it. If the Club think that JDG needs to get out in the workforce for a few weeks to get a taste, then I have a shovel and a crow-bar in the back of the ute with his name on it. And a kick up the arse when he starts sooking about how hard it is.

Like everyone else, I had such high hopes for him, but I'm starting to wonder if the penny will ever drop. Have we done enough behind the scenes? I don't know the answer to that but I also think there only so much you can do before it's up to the kid to grow the hell up and behave like a normal person without 24/7 supervision.

It was the club management that handed down the sentence

The leadership group was at the meeting, Pendles was one of 2 people from the meeting to speak publicly, and a lot of the comments were about his peers and regaining their trust.

It is very clear the impetus for this response was coming from his teammates.

You cant compare to Hodge. Even though most non-Hawthorn fans thought it was a very light response, you are also talking about a 10yr plus champion and captain of the club who has had very little indescretions off field and no questions about his training and fitness.
The more apt comparison is a young Stevie Johnson who copped a 7 game suspension from his leadership group. (My recollection is that was the players, not the club, deciding to suspend him)

I say Stephenson be gettting Games ahead of Wills
If that excuse for a practice match the other night in Adelaide is any indication of Stephenson's current ability to impact a game, he will not be considered for selection in round one. He is far too lightly built to be playing AFL now. And Wills in for De Goey is not destined to send a ripple of excited anticipation through the Collingwood faithful.

Buckley had chased away all the potentially negative elements from our playing list. Given all the research into the character of potential draftees, how did we think that De Goey was a suitable prospect? How did our screening procedures not pick up his love of parties, brawls and booze? We obviously have little idea how to contain or change the character of players like De Goey, so why draft them?

They weren't exactly going to get the entire playing group to deliver the punishment in front the media like a Greek chorus. Walsh 'delivered' the punishment, but it appears that there was a lot of negotiation about that punishment in the past 24 hours.
Negotiations driven by club management

The leadership group was at the meeting, Pendles was one of 2 people from the meeting to speak publicly, and a lot of the comments were about his peers and regaining their trust.

It is very clear where the impetus for this response was coming from.

You cant compare to Hodge. Even though most non-Hawthorn fans thought it was a very light response, you are also talking about a 10yr plus champion and captain of the club who has had very little indescretions off field and no questions about his training and fitness.
The more apt comparison is a young Stevie Johnson who copped a 7 game suspension from his leadership group. (My recollection is that was the players, not the club, deciding to suspend him)
But all the reasons why DeGoey has had to be punished is because of the ripple effect, because he was a role model to kids and because he could of killed someone. Did that not apply to Luke Hodge? Furthermore Hodge was meant to be a leader of the club setting an example to all the young players coming through. Yet Hawthorn stood firm and made the right call and we did not simple

They should of followed the example of Hawthorn. And before we get everyone pointing out he had runs on the board he was also the captain and with power comes responsibility. People still lord the strong culture of Hawthorn while potting Collingwoods culture. This is exactly why
The same Hawthorn who suspended Hodge for missing training?

You’re absolutely right and I know nothing about his mates, which is why I avoided suggesting that I do (pretty sure I didn’t, without checking).

If the club feels that they have solid information about his off field life (Pendles just said it needs ‘improvement’), and they work that into his management, then I’m going to back them in that it’s warranted. They would be extremely aware of not wanting to sound like the parents of a teenager. I believe in this hyper aware modern age we’re in, they would have thought very carefully about the response.
Fair enough. I am all for helping De Goey make better decisions. His responsibilty not his mates.

Is your objection that NO-ONE ie club or parents have the right to tell JDG who his friend should be?
Club definitely not. Parents can chuck their 2 bobs worth in.

From an outsider’s perspective, I think the decision paints your club in a very positive light. The question of whether a player should be held to a higher standard or has an obligation to present as a role model is a valid one, but there’s no doubt that currently that is the case and the players are more than aware of that.

I think all parts of the decision are quite well reasoned. The fine was inevitable and like the overall package sent a message that the club was taking this extremely seriously and not brushing this under the carpet as most footy clubs have done in the past. I love the idea of having to work full time away from the club for 4 weeks, if that doesn’t give JDG an understanding of the privileged position he holds than nothing will. Indefinite suspension means he has to show the club he is serious about turning his behaviour around, but also leaves the door open if he proves himself that he doesn’t miss any of the regular season and does not inconvenience the team.

Sends a strong message, leaves the door open in terms of suspension during the season and provides JDG the strongest opportunity to learn and grow from this. Hats off, personally.
What an outrageous post!!

A Richmond supporter making sense

All I know is that after a big drinking session, my mates would have made sure that I got home safely instead of dropping me off at my car.
My mates have helped me make plenty of dumb decisions. Especially when we were 21.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recognise from your posts you have strong opinions regarding this issue. Enjoying your perspective, not sure where exactly I stand. You may be jumping in a little hard here. I have no idea who his mates are or what impact they have on his life. I am bouncing off the post I quoted questioning the club's responsibility. So, if the club believed his friendship group was a problem previous to this incident, what action had they taken to improve the situation? The action they have now taken comes across as punitive. I would hoped in the years DG had been in the club he would have had opportunity to form strong relationships they might have led him away from mistakes like this. Maybe I have worded this poorly but I am not questioning his mates nor making assumptions about them, I am stating that if the club is/has been concerned about his mates, it raises questions for me as to what the club is doing in terms of developing positive relationships.

So does Pendles say "you wanna come hang out with me and the sack this Saturday Jords, few beers and a round or two of golf" Is that said not because Pendles or the club is concerned about his private life but just because that is the club culture. Does that explanation make any difference to your reaction?
Can accept I am going a bit hard.

I think re the friends people should think a little about there own mates and see the positives and negs they have before being to ready to judge people we dont even know.

But all the reasons why DeGoey has had to be punished is because of the ripple effect, because he was a role model to kids and because he could of killed someone. Did that not apply to Luke Hodge? Furthermore Hodge was meant to be a leader of the club setting an example to all the young players coming through. Yet Hawthorn stood firm and made the right call and we did not simple

I think you keep ignoring (or not getting) that this is not about one incident. It is very clear that there is much more going on, and to the point that his teammates are concerned about his approach to fitness and training... this has crossed the line.

A positive is that he spoke with Pendles on the saturday night. (Before it broke in the media).

I tend to agree but the is also a part of me that has to wonder how much more the Club, (or AFL clubs in general) have to do to stop these kids from making basic life errors. If you believe the spin that comes out of the AFL, and clubs, these kids are put through courses that teach them about drink driving, treating women with respect, avoiding drug issues etc etc etc...
There are courses and there are courses. The old chalk and talk lectures versus inspired hands on, experiential education, for example. How good are these courses, are they an exercise in PR or education with proven success amongst that particular client group. I know nothing about them but wonder how much is actually club/AFL spin to give the appearance they are dealing with the issues.
Like everyone else, I had such high hopes for him, but I'm starting to wonder if the penny will ever drop. Have we done enough behind the scenes? I don't know the answer to that but I also think there only so much you can do before it's up to the kid to grow the hell up and behave like a normal person without 24/7 supervision.
Yeah, this is the critical issue (though what he has done is not far off normal in our society, its who he is that is the abnormal factor). Maybe DG doesn't have what it takes to be a topline AFL footballer in our current time.

Fairly hefty sanctions applied by the club. It won't be sold this way, but I don't mind the indefinite suspension as it leaves open the possibility that we can withdraw DeGoey's ban should form (club or player) or injury demand a recall.

It could be the same. You never know. De Goey may never display the desired attitude. Ultimately it's the supporters who suffer.

If DG never displays the desired attitude he should never play again. Playing DG when not showing the desired attitude results in supporters losing anyway.

Doesn’t matter what the club does here the supporter will suffer. Can’t blame the club for that, only DG.

If DG never displays the desired attitude he should never play again. Playing DG when not showing the desired attitude results in supporters losing anyway.

Doesn’t matter what the club does here the supporter will suffer. Can’t blame the club for that, only DG.
At it stands JDG is long odds to ever play senior footy for us again. The chance of him breaking his alcohol ban is high. If this happens he will be sacked.

Fairly hefty sanctions applied by the club. It won't be sold this way, but I don't mind the indefinite suspension as it leaves open the possibility that we can withdraw DeGoey's ban should form (club or player) or injury demand a recall.

Agreed.
I wouldn't be suprised to see him play round 2 or 3. (Based on the situation and Jordans response over that time).
It also leaves things open in case he doesn't switch on to the changes he needs to start making.

Can accept I am going a bit hard.
I think re the friends people should think a little about there own mates and see the positives and negs they have before being to ready to judge people we dont even know.
One of my mates is halfway through a month's stint inside for repeat drink driving. The other one is getting married this weekend at 54 yrs old. So, yeah, I can't comment on other people's friends given the stupidity of my two:)

Yeah nah - i think thats a very cynical view on it. I would be suprised if we dont see him play 15+ games this year.
Given his inability to learn from his experiences in 2017, I would say it’s realistic.

Who are you or Collingwood to make such a judgement. My mates from my school days are still a big glue in my life, had plenty of good times , done stupid and wise things. You would know nothing of how strong and significant the bonds that tie these young men together are.

Because I've met 5 of them and I will leave it there
And I stand by my judgement and I'm suggesting you would too
We're you the stud athlete at school , getting patted on the back all the time and mr popularity?
You know BIG FISH SMALL POND. Or just?
Fair assumption from you gc that I wouldn't have any friends or that they and me didn't get up too
I was raised in a no good area and was easily led as they say and I won't bore you with my exploits which make this look like a fairy tale
However I explained to my daughter who is 22 when 15 that the kids she gave everything for wouldn't be around for ever and out of 36 , 3 made it to her 21st
I still have some mates from school , junior sport now over 45 years and I had some I was wise enough to piss off early and some I hung on too longer still
My daughter knows some of his crew
Leaving him posted like that
Good mates NOT

Last edited:
At it stands JDG is long odds to ever play senior footy for us again. The chance of him breaking his alcohol ban is high. If this happens he will be sacked.

Most posts are happy to speculate about his return, but you're absolutely right in pointing to the thin ice upon which JDG stands. I'm not sure he's at long odds, but it will only take a minor indiscretion at this point for him to be f***** right off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back