Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most posts are happy to speculate about his return, but you're absolutely right in pointing to the thin ice upon which JDG stands. I'm not sure he's at long odds, but it will only take a minor indiscretion at this point for him to be f***** right off.
And the evidence is stacked against him. I doubt this incident is a one off. He likes to party and has been admonished for not being fit enough. His promise to win back respect last year is absolute crap. He does what suits him. To turn it around from here will take a massive change.

Is your objection that NO-ONE ie club or parents have the right to tell JDG who his friend should be?
If the club didn't know who his friends were when it drafted him, it should have at least known the type of friends he was likely to knock about with. Either way, De Goey was our prefered top 10 draftee and the club has to live with it's decision. If the friends he had when he was drafted are still friends now, then so be it. Friends are for life.

The rat pack are gone and it seems that De Goey is the only new rat to have slipped through the trap in recent years. Unfortunately, we are not a club capable of domesticating wild rats. They feast on our pristine morality and spit it back in our face. We shut them down with draconian measures, then they return the next year with a new devilish deed.

And the evidence is stacked against him. I doubt this incident is a one off. He likes to party and has been admonished for not being fit enough. His promise to win back respect last year is absolute crap. He does what suits him. To turn it around from here will take a massive change.

It will take a massive change. The rumblings from the club are ominous, who knows whether he can turn things around.

Just realised how sanctimonious I can be, how incidents like this can make sanctimonious f**** of a lot of us. I posted something yesterday about JDG having a peanut for a brain, but seriously, how bright a spark was I at his age? Truthfully, I was pretty dim. Anyway...he's a whole lot more talented than I was, so here's hoping he can make better decisions as well.

One of my mates is halfway through a month's stint inside for repeat drink driving. The other one is getting married this weekend at 54 yrs old. So, yeah, I can't comment on other people's friends given the stupidity of my two:)
Which one is more stupid?

Kid should be delisted, a out-n-out liar and he can't be trusted!!
Laurence Angwin got delisted at Carlton for recreational drugs, De Goey acts a far more dangerous.
Except he didn't lie on this occasion.

Laurence Angwin got delisted at Carlton for recreational drugs, De Goey acts a far more dangerous.
Bit more than just drug use, the burglary and theft from a teammates house and subsequent guilty plea to criminal charges would have been a big factor.

Which one is more stupid?
Well I haven't worked that out yet. One is heading for a life sentence but its a first offence. The other got free board and lodgings, ciggie and alcohol free, but is a repeat offender. Thinking I must be the stupid one here, certainly not a positive influence on my mates. Looking for a new friendship group, I'm sure the pies can help me out..:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At it stands JDG is long odds to ever play senior footy for us again. The chance of him breaking his alcohol ban is high. If this happens he will be sacked.
Oh dear...

He’ll play this year. Nothing more certain.

He might have pumpkin brain, but even he’s not that dumb.

He’ll play, he’ll learn, he’ll play well.

Back to your board.
Off you go to have emotional nourishment.

Bit more than just drug use, the burglary and theft from a teammates house and subsequent guilty plea to criminal charges would have been a big factor.

The Carlton Football Club were out and out liars, they paid hush money to keep rape victims quiet, and also paid under the table money to rort the salary cap, much worse and dishonest as a brand than anything JDG will ever do in ten lifetimes I reckon.

Last edited:
I'm really not sure what else the club could do given the circumstances ie his priors and the general climate out there. I think they made a well balanced decision. But all that good work will come undone if he plays Round 1. The club needs to be seen to be vigilant in dealing with such behaviour. So far - pretty much on the mark.

Sorry for slow reply

I dont agree with these

Sponsors are not hurt by this. Even if TAC was involved they will get more mileage out of it than negative

If club manages it strongly no PR damage. "We dont condone De Goeys mistake but we will help him to make better decisions in the future".etc etc

Re player welfare the club is not responsible for a players wellbeing when they are driving a car

I dont believe AFL players should be held to higher standards than you or I

You do realise TAC has once before pulled their sponsorship of us when wellingham done it.

Going off the club statement they seem to be very pissed with his behaviour
http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2018-02-19/club-statement-jordan-de-goey
After a series of meetings between Collingwood and Jordan De Goey on Monday, it has been agreed that Jordan will remain a senior listed Collingwood player on the following terms:

- Jordan will not drink alcohol at least until the season’s end, when this decision will be reviewed.

- Jordan has made a commitment to enlist the assistance of medical professionals to help him improve his decision making.

- Jordan has agreed to make significant changes to his social life and associations, a pledge the club supports and will monitor.

In relation to Jordan’s drink driving conviction last Saturday evening, it has been agreed that the following will also apply:

- An indefinite suspension from AFL selection. When Jordan has convinced his peers and coaches that meaningful change has occurred, and that his standards have risen to those of the group, he will become available for selection.

- A fine of $10,000. Jordan has also offered to make a further $10,000 donation to a charity, a gesture the club acknowledges and supports.

- Jordan will be required to undertake employment away from the club for a period of not less than four weeks. During this time he will train in the evenings with the Collingwood VFL squad.

- Jordan will take on a meaningful role with a charitable organisation, a position that will be monitored by the club.

All of the above were agreed to after meetings between Jordan and the Collingwood leadership group and Jordan, his manager, and senior club officials.

Collingwood General Manager of Football, Geoff Walsh, said the outcomes provide Jordan with an unmistakeable message but also an unmistakeable opportunity.

"Jordan can have a long career with Collingwood if he commits himself wholly to his football but he could also have a very short career if he doesn’t," Walsh said.

"The club, and particularly his teammates, want to see behavioural change. They need to be able to trust him and believe in him.

"Jordan can win back the faith he has lost over a period of time and have a very good career if he honours all that he has agreed to today. He is telling us he wants to change. The time for talking is over."

Thats a massive whack.

Why so you guys can pick him up?? You don't delist that sought of talent....you discipline & work with him as the Pies are doing...if all else fails, then we trade him to the highest bidder at end of season.

I'm really not sure what else the club could do given the circumstances ie his priors and the general climate out there. I think they made a well balanced decision. But all that good work will come undone if he plays Round 1. The club needs to be seen to be vigilant in dealing with such behaviour. So far - pretty much on the mark.

Hurts the team, hurts the ability to win games and that hurts the club/supporters/coaching group.

To put a game ban on is jut fcuking stupid with where we sit as a club. Buckley must be furious.

Is it? I wouldn’t be so sure his back story is 100% truthful.
Well if he is not, it will come out pretty quickly
But l think he is on this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back