Recommitted Josh Kelly [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Would require Norths first, which would be top 5ish you'd expect?

So they're offering a decade long million a year deal almost, for their top 5 pick? Why not just back yourselves at the draft to get someone just as good and pay **** all in salary for a few years...

So they're offering a decade long million a year deal almost, for their top 5 pick? Why not just back yourselves at the draft to get someone just as good and pay **** all in salary for a few years...
Yeah i don't really understand it either.

It's because Kelly has proven AFL form to back it up. A draft pick despite being able to dominate juniors may still end up a bust.

It's because Kelly has proven AFL form to back it up. A draft pick despite being able to dominate juniors may still end up a bust.

I agree but that's a huge amount of time and money to commit to a player - I think if this is all true the risk of a draft pick outweighs the risk of offering a young mid that money.

Because draft picks are hit and miss. Kelly has shown that he is a quality player and will play for another 10 years barring injury. North won't be the only one offering a long term deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two top12 firsts on the table from StKilda.

Word is he isn't interested in a move
thats a lot to pay for the kid.
the saints list is still building and is a year or two away from entering their prime. Why not bank the picks you have at the draft and add 2 talents.

Gresham, Acres & Steele already there for class.
Not sure Kelly over 2 more top 20 kids is the right move.

the saints list is still building and is a year or two away from entering their prime. Why not bank the picks you have at the draft and add 2 talents.

Well that's what has to be weighed up, if you can get your hands on a Fyfe or Martin you can't say no.
Nearly all would be willing to give the picks up for Kelly, perhaps with something back.

But yes two first round selections is a strong hand.

IF North finish bottom 4 and have a high rd 1 pick, and Kelly hasn't signed by round 15 or thereabouts i'd be quietly confident about securing him

Wouldn't 4 million over 5 years be enough to bring him over? IF he wants to move obviously, so why risk the extra 4 years? Very good player but I can't see many clubs offering more than 800k per season.

In normal circumstances possibly, but remember he's currently sitting at a side that may very well win multiple premierships in the next few years.

I'm comfortable with an 8 year deal for Kelly has worked well in the past, he's a top 10 mid in the competition now imo, may very well be the #1 in time given his skills and hurt factor.

What really hurts is we would of got him for a second round pick if his dads hamstrings weren't made of tissue paper.

You would think that St Kilda would get something back if they were to give up 2 top 12 picks, but Kelly is a gun. I'd be happy to give them up for him and a second round pick.

Who's to say those top 12 picks will be guns?

You would think that St Kilda would get something back if they were to give up 2 top 12 picks, but Kelly is a gun. I'd be happy to give them up for him and a second round pick.

Who's to say those top 12 picks will be guns?
not much really, but modern day drafting rarely sees clubs make mistakes that early in drafts.
There will be the occasional one here and there, and better players taken later, but my reckoning is that 19 of the top 20 will be decent players.

I guess sarcasm doesn't travel well over the internet.
Heh. There's a group that think that GWS has too many early picks and the way to stop that is to conspire and refuse to trade any high picks to them for players like Kelly and Shiel. Unfortunately I've therefore seen your comment in a non-ironic/sarcastic fashion often enough to take it on face value. :(

Heh. There's a group that think that GWS has too many early picks and the way to stop that is to conspire and refuse to trade any high picks to them for players like Kelly and Shiel. Unfortunately I've therefore seen your comment in a non-ironic/sarcastic fashion often enough to take it on face value. :(

Haha, more so this is how I reckon GWS feel;
59861892.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Josh Kelly [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back