Player Watch Josh Rachele - Sent To The Gulag!

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious question for you though. This is not about the club or how it’s run. Compared to say your 20’s how emotionally invested are you these days? I’ve been a silver seated member since 98. About 6 years ago something changed. I went from never missing a game ever to “if nothing else is on” I’ll go to the footy. I’m around the same age, and was wondering did priorities in life change for you also?
I think I'd still get a lot of pleasure out of winning, and the team developing well. I've made a gazillion posts on BF, so still like reading about recruiting and selection and so on.
Priorities do change of course, and I can't go to games any more, but the management of the club makes me not want to even watch them, or follow the club so closely.

It's actually amazing how poorly this has been handled from even the most basic human level.

Even if you take the position of him doing something wrong or under-performing (which I disagree with). This is a textbook example of how to alienate and isolate a person, and how NOT to handle a team member you view as not behaving in a way you expect. This isn't even football talking, this is basic managerial competency. You don't pile up and publicly humiliate someone, shine the spotlight on them to highlight their deficiencies, or make them a scapegoat. There have been copious examples of other teams (as everyone has already said, stengle at geelong is the most obvious one) who have handled players they have felt needed re-focusing in a much different manner. You know, teams that have a reputation for a winning culture and professionalism. Surprisingly, they also end up having a great player retention and recruitment rate alongside flags to back them up.

The amount of gaslighting is phenomenal as well...he will be strong enough to get through this? As in, if he doesn't suck it up and tow the line he is weak. Piss off.

This is absolute amateur hour, and sadly a very common occurrence for this club.

Agreed. If it is an issue manage it internally. One fckn game to go. If this is a body of work why now and not address it after one more game. Play him. Set goals and standards he needs to achieve in the offseason and unless he does he won't play round 1. But no, they have no f'ing clue and wish to make it play out in public. Why? Just does not make any sense whatsoever. Absolutely mind blowing. 🤯

Nice the leadership group didn't decide to drop themselves after they absolutely lost the mental battle after Rankine got KO'd.
You do realise, the Leadership Group would have canvassed the views of the playing group B4 going to Nicks

Everyone thinks this was one person, or a small number making the call .....far from it, this is the "majority" of the playing group, of whom the Leadership Group represents

You do realise, the Leadership Group would have canvassed the views of the playing group B4 going to Nicks

Everyone thinks this was one person, or a small number making the call .....far from it, this is the "majority" of the playing group, of whom the Leadership Group represents

I'm sure the bunch of young players, seeing how Rachele has been hung out to dry, would be itching to speak out against the leadership group.

I'm sure the bunch of young players, seeing how Rachele has been hung out to dry, would be itching to speak out against the leadership group.
Nothing to support that POV

There's nothing to support your purely hypothetical scenario either.
Of course my scenario is correct, that's how leadership groups work .....it's not a dictatorship you know

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I'd still get a lot of pleasure out of winning, and the team developing well. I've made a gazillion posts on BF, so still like reading about recruiting and selection and so on.
Priorities do change of course, and I can't go to games any more, but the management of the club makes me not want to even watch them, or follow the club so closely.
Fair enough. I definitely like winning too. But I’m not as passionate about footy. I love wining and dining. That’s my preference 90% of the time

Of course my scenario is correct, that's how leadership groups work .....it's not a dictatorship you know

So the whole teams sat down after the loss, looked each other in the eye, and spontaneously decided that Rachelle was the reason they lost, that their season had gone to shit and that their collective standards of excellence were being corroded away. Consensus being reached: he deserves to be dropped.

They then encouraged,no forced a delegation of senior players to take their demand to the blissfully unaware Matthew Nicks. Who, despite some reservations, had no choice but to execute the will of the angry masses?

Sounds legit.

Last edited:
The major problem I have is that there is no way this is happening if we are playing a final or in a must win game, it’s an easy out because the game is a dead rubber
Probably correct .....ESS supporters were jumping out of their cages last week, because Heppell didn't get a farewell game in a must win matchup

Dead rubber for ESS this week, so Heppell has been named ....an interstate game though

Another case of team first over individual ....and I'll back that everytime

For those suggesting we're trying to turn Rachele into a robot .....Rankine is a far bigger celebrator & there's no attempt to quell him

Although with Rankine, you have to remember Gold Coast had similar problems with him early days, and dropped him a few times, because it was individual B4 team
At the Crows though he's been all team first

Im looking forward to attending Saturday at Unley Oval to show my support for Rachele. Should be a good atmosphere this Saturday afternoon. Perhaps a good opportunity to provide some constructive feedback to club officials.
This was my thought process. I haven’t actively been to a SANFL game since Tex’s comeback in 2014, wouldn’t mind going and supporting the lad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Josh Rachele - Sent To The Gulag!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back