Keep the faith!

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know...I know some people like to be positive about even the most hopeless of situations, but it's difficult for me to be positive now.

To know we won't have a shot at the flag and that we won't get that heady mix of excitement, butterflies and sheer nervousness in our guts come the finals is tough to accept.

Yer well thats the thing, you were being touted as certain top 4 material, so expectations were high....to now, must be hard.

Thing you have to ask is?

Barry Hall, the bloke is 30what?, I am saying this as an outsider...you guys are good enough to make it to another PF, but not good enough to win or get to a GF.

Need to get your Jordan Rougheads and Jarred Grants of the Doggies filling in that FF spot, because its a bloody hard void to fill and seriously will you win a flag in the next 2 years with Hall in it?

Which ones of those possible wins do you disagree with?

They are all 'possible' ..... but what are the chances overall of us winning all 9? Inc 6 against sides that are above us on the ladder.
It would be the first time in 30 years or so that a side has made the finals after being 3-11 apparently.

Looking at 5 bucks' post, we can certainly win a few of them.

Each win is a small victory for the season, but I still think finals are out of reach. Just gonna savour every four points as they come as long as we keep blooding youth.

I'm 29, so I'm not that old, so I'd like to think I've got a fair amount of life in me yet.

Seeing my club in its current state hurts like hell - we're a rabble. What really gets to me is people who get on here when we're 3-8 and make out all is well.

Unfortunately the club and its supporters accept mediocrity. We lose three PFs in a row and say "oh well, there's always next year". It's such a crap attitude.

I know we will improve and get better, but there wouldn't be one Bulldogs supporter who wouldn't have genuinely thought we were a massive chance at finally breaking the premiership drought this year. To know we are way, way back in the pecking order now is gut-wrenching.

Look at Geelong, they've been up for five years and they've got to flags and possibly another this year to show for it. We were up for three years and we've got squat. Hang on, we've got a NAB Cup flag. :rolleyes:

We have a coach who it seems hasn't adapted to the modern game, a petulant full back who needs to be grabbed by the neck and told to get his **** together and fast, a forward (Hill) would couldn't give a stuff and a team which has all the functionality of Melbourne's train network.

Fellow Dogs supporters can call me a whinger or whatever they like, but when I look at teams like Carlton (last flag 95), Essendon (last flag '00), Hawthorn (last flag '08), Geelong (last flag '09), Collingwood (last flag '10), West Coast (last flag '06) in the eight and preparing for a serious tilt, it frustrates me.

As supporters, we can do nothing about it, but apart from Freo, Richmond, Melbourne and us are the only teams who have not won a flag in the last 30 years.

I don't know...I know some people like to be positive about even the most hopeless of situations, but it's difficult for me to be positive now.

To know we won't have a shot at the flag and that we won't get that heady mix of excitement, butterflies and sheer nervousness in our guts come the finals is tough to accept.

In my opinion the only way to survive as a doggies supporter is to always look for the positives. If you focus too much on the negatives you will go mad. And even though we are struggling there are positives such as the young kids we have coming through.

Also I think a lot of supporters should have realised this was coming and not have been sucked in by what the media said. We have lost Akermanis, Eagleton, Harbrow, Johnson. ABout 900 + games of experience and a lot of run and carry. Brownlow medalist Cooney misses the pre season and has struggled with injury, All Australian Lake has had surgery to every part of his body and missed a large chunk of the season, Hargrave is an important cog in our backline and again missed a large part of pre season and then Hall, who has had rotten luck with injury. I didnt expect us to fall back so much but i didn't expect us to push for a flag.

If you take 900 + games experience from any team including a captain, 3 of your starting backmen in Harbrow, Hargrave and Lake out as well and remove a brownlow medalist and your best Key forward who kicked 80 goals last year. ANy team would struggle with this!

Putting in my Chris Grants' worth, all I can say is that I'm bitterly dissapointed with the usual Bulldogs lack of ability to reach the pinnacle of success. After 85, 92, 97, 98, 08 (although expecting a GF in 08 was optimistic), 09 and 10. Im done as far as having any remaining interest in the team for the rest of the year.

Its probably safe to assume that we'll fade into oblivion for a few years before they make another string of preliminary failures and I'm tired of being optimistic and "keeping the faith"

Stay positive Mike!

alfred_e_neuman.jpg

Putting in my Chris Grants' worth, all I can say is that I'm bitterly dissapointed with the usual Bulldogs lack of ability to reach the pinnacle of success. After 85, 92, 97, 98, 08 (although expecting a GF in 08 was optimistic), 09 and 10. Im done as far as having any remaining interest in the team for the rest of the year.

Its probably safe to assume that we'll fade into oblivion for a few years before they make another string of preliminary failures and I'm tired of being optimistic and "keeping the faith"

Don't get me wrong, I'll continue to support the club and buy my $500 worth of memberships per year, as I have done so for almost 15 years.

However, I hate to admit it, but I feel the same as Mike... It's probably time to start focusing on other facets of life.... Interesting thing that came out of watching the game on Friday night and that was that I actually found myself feeling quite comfortable watching the poor performance on TV... It finally dawned on me that I have been conditioned to watching my team getting beaten over the last forty odd years. So much so that I was eerily less stressed about us losing than I have been for years. It's really hard to explain but over the past three or four years, it was extremely stressful watching us play because it was a new feeling, almost like we didn't really belong in the top echelons of the league and that we had to take advantage of the opportunities we had... On Friday night it was almost like, being 'home' again, back where we belong, in the lower levels of the ladder battling again.

Ahh home sweet home.. Back in the comfortable surrounds of low expectation and little respect... So forget all the spin and rhetoric that comes from our club administrators and settle in and get comfy, because it doesn't look like we'll be travelling anywhere north for a while....

Which ones of those possible wins do you disagree with?

Melbourne - Collingwood will show tomorrow that Melb aren't much chop at all. Possible win #6.

North - possible win #7

Sydney - while we are a bit off them now, we have 6 weeks to improve enough to beat a team that we have had the better of in the past. We're a chance. Possible win #8

West Coast - they are a different team away from WA. Lake should be back for us by then, so they won't utterly dominate us on our home track. Possible win # 9

Essendon - Freo showed today that Essendon were playing well above themselves earlier in the year. Possible win # 10

Freo - us at home, fighting for a finals berth should see us throw everything at these folks, and they are Freo ffs. Possible win #12

Most of them.

We are playing like rubbish, and I wouldn't back us against even the Dees or North.

Looking at our draw, the first half of the year shows the Dogs only having a greater break than the opposition on 1 occasion (v Freo 16 days = Bye)

We were fortunate enough to play 5 games (Coll,Rich,WC,Haw,Stk) with the same break, on 3 occasions we had to travel the week prior, creating a disadvantage.

Dogs played 4 games with less break, 2 wins (Bris,GC) 2 losses (Syd,Gee)

From here on the draw provides us with some healthy advantages

4 games with a greater break (Ade,GC,Car,Ess,)
1 game with a greater break travelling the week before to syd (WC)
3 games with the same break (Nth,Syd,Port)
1 game with the same break travelling the week before to GC (melb)
1 game with a shorter break (Haw)
1 game most probably a shorter break with Freo playing Friday in rd 23

At 4-1 to make the 8, the bookies look like they have done their homework as well.

I believe the second half of the season will provide a better spectacle than the first half, get along doggies.

I went to the Geelong game last year and thought well a 100 point loss was not great but we had this and that, blah blah blah - get your hand off it type stuff.

Then I watched insipid performance 1 against the Swans and a just competitive one against the badly injured Bombers and said to my mates - that's it I can't do another failed season. I did not attend the finals for the first time in my 38 years of supporting the club because it was too heartbreaking. In fact I did not even watch any of the finals games last year.

I told anyone who would listen that we could not make the finals this year because we were now a developing team and sadly because the Bulldog spirit was not with these guys. Few agreed but it has come to roost.

I have however decided that the time is right to get back on board. I am glad that players like Lake - disgrace of a footballer given his attitude - Gilbee, Hudson, Hill etc are having to go back and work in the 2's to get back in.

We are giving players with youth a chance to have a taste. This is how we fast-track development. 5 to 10 games this year in players like Howard, Dal, Wood (he is very underdone remember), Jones and hopefully, Mulligan, Cordy, Skinner, Hooper, Reid and Panos and Markovic back in; and the next 2 years may well be frustrating but will be one hell of a ride.

Yes I want success, but the team we have was never capable of winning a flag. Lets face facts we have consistantly failed to beat any top 4 side and the flair that got us back up the ladder dissapeared - perhaps through a fear of actually winning.

I am reserved to not winning a flag. That is for special teams and that unfortuanately is not the WB that I know.

But remember that game at the G in 2008 when DFA made his debut. Remember when we were challeneged by the Crows halfway through the last quarter. Remember Johnno getting it at HB with 90 seconds on the clock and running and handballing to Grif and then Boyd and then the ball ending up in Coon's hand and he kicked the goal that got us the breathing space. We had injuries to key players and we fought like a caged tiger and got over a good side. And made the top 4. Wasn't that fun and what we want to see?

I walked out of that game with my mates and we were blown away at how we played and how even though we were undermanned we performed beyond expectations. Lets have some of that feeling again. Stop these also rans wearing the RW&B and get some bulldog spirit back in there. It is sadly lacking and we all want to see them just try. 120 point losses to last years wooden spooners is unnacceptable. And no Bulldog team of the last 38 years has ever accepted what has been dished out this year.

Its time to draw a line in the sand and if you cannot be Dale Morris, Ryan Griffen, Mathew Boyd, and show some heart then get the f**k out and let someone in who can.

All is not lost but our time at the top is over for a while. The administration, Board and coaches have a responsibility of putting teams out on the park that do NOT accept mediocre performances. 10 goal losses happen with every developing team but we want to see them fighting to the end and trying. Walking off with pride in that you have given everything is what we want to see.

It may be a while but we will again play some football that has the hairs standing to attention on the back of our necks. Mick and Minters stay with us. We will again be the Bulldogs Breed. Cede Nullis

I went to the Geelong game last year and thought well a 100 point loss was not great but we had this and that, blah blah blah - get your hand off it type stuff.

Then I watched insipid performance 1 against the Swans and a just competitive one against the badly injured Bombers and said to my mates - that's it I can't do another failed season. I did not attend the finals for the first time in my 38 years of supporting the club because it was too heartbreaking. In fact I did not even watch any of the finals games last year.

I told anyone who would listen that we could not make the finals this year because we were now a developing team and sadly because the Bulldog spirit was not with these guys. Few agreed but it has come to roost.

I have however decided that the time is right to get back on board. I am glad that players like Lake - disgrace of a footballer given his attitude - Gilbee, Hudson, Hill etc are having to go back and work in the 2's to get back in.

We are giving players with youth a chance to have a taste. This is how we fast-track development. 5 to 10 games this year in players like Howard, Dal, Wood (he is very underdone remember), Jones and hopefully, Mulligan, Cordy, Skinner, Hooper, Reid and Panos and Markovic back in; and the next 2 years may well be frustrating but will be one hell of a ride.

Yes I want success, but the team we have was never capable of winning a flag. Lets face facts we have consistantly failed to beat any top 4 side and the flair that got us back up the ladder dissapeared - perhaps through a fear of actually winning.

I am reserved to not winning a flag. That is for special teams and that unfortuanately is not the WB that I know.

But remember that game at the G in 2008 when DFA made his debut. Remember when we were challeneged by the Crows halfway through the last quarter. Remember Johnno getting it at HB with 90 seconds on the clock and running and handballing to Grif and then Boyd and then the ball ending up in Coon's hand and he kicked the goal that got us the breathing space. We had injuries to key players and we fought like a caged tiger and got over a good side. And made the top 4. Wasn't that fun and what we want to see?

I walked out of that game with my mates and we were blown away at how we played and how even though we were undermanned we performed beyond expectations. Lets have some of that feeling again. Stop these also rans wearing the RW&B and get some bulldog spirit back in there. It is sadly lacking and we all want to see them just try. 120 point losses to last years wooden spooners is unnacceptable. And no Bulldog team of the last 38 years has ever accepted what has been dished out this year.

Its time to draw a line in the sand and if you cannot be Dale Morris, Ryan Griffen, Mathew Boyd, and show some heart then get the f**k out and let someone in who can.

All is not lost but our time at the top is over for a while. The administration, Board and coaches have a responsibility of putting teams out on the park that do NOT accept mediocre performances. 10 goal losses happen with every developing team but we want to see them fighting to the end and trying. Walking off with pride in that you have given everything is what we want to see.

It may be a while but we will again play some football that has the hairs standing to attention on the back of our necks. Mick and Minters stay with us. We will again be the Bulldogs Breed. Cede Nullis

Here Here, excellent synopsis of where the club is at.

Biggest challenge will be to keep membership and other revenue streams at a
level where the debt doesn't start to increase again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Linkman, your pearls of wisdom do not go falling on deaf ears (or blind eyes in this case), I will always be passionate about the Dogs however it has been quite taxing (the last few years) and I believe that a little respite is warranted...

Linkman, your pearls of wisdom do not go falling on deaf ears (or blind eyes in this case), I will always be passionate about the Dogs however it has been quite taxing (the last few years) and I believe that a little respite is warranted...
Yes mate I agree.

The last 2 years for me have been really frustrating. I have watched us demolish teams that we should and play exciting football. Better than any time in my time supporting the club. But we have fallen at every significant hurdle and whilst I felt proud in the PF against the cats and then against the saints I was left wanting for more.

We all need a mental break from the heartbreak of the last few years. I do. Haven't been to a game yet although I have watched 4 or 5 on TV. But I will be there on Friday and I hope to be seeing the changing of the guard.

C'mon doggies show us something. A loss would probably signal the end for Rocket - and a few of the other senior players.

Good posts Linkman but unfortunately the reality is that all of our concerns as supporters & members fall on deaf ears.

Yes mate I agree.

The last 2 years for me have been really frustrating. I have watched us demolish teams that we should and play exciting football. Better than any time in my time supporting the club. But we have fallen at every significant hurdle and whilst I felt proud in the PF against the cats and then against the saints I was left wanting for more.

We all need a mental break from the heartbreak of the last few years. I do. Haven't been to a game yet although I have watched 4 or 5 on TV. But I will be there on Friday and I hope to be seeing the changing of the guard.

C'mon doggies show us something. A loss would probably signal the end for Rocket - and a few of the other senior players.

So true. It's worn me out. The highest of highs during the season and the crushing disappointments of the QF and then the PF losses.

All I want is to play exciting footy again. Stuff the consequences, I just want us to go out there tomorrow and take risks, play on at all costs and have a fair dinkum crack.

Let's get up and about again.

Brownlow medalitis - The dogs looked a significant better side at the same time Cooney stepped onto the park. Carlton have proved duds can transform into stars when inflicted with this desease.

Remove this Banner Ad

Keep the faith!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back