kicking on both sides

Remove this Banner Ad

I notice Zaine Cordy kicks with both feet quite frequently.

Stratton and Bruest at Hawthorn are excellent.

Steele Sidebottom one of the best getting around for sure.

Taylor Walker is very good on his left, it looks just as natural as using his right, he'll hit a 45m pass no problems with his left. Only a small sample but I've noticed Fogarty use his left very naturally and effectively, and as another poster said Sam Petrevski-Seton was reported to not really have a preferred foot in junior football, though in the AFL he seems to use his right more often than not.

It's something that needs to be developed in the formative years, once you hit the AFL if you don't have a decent weak foot you never really will.

Stephen Hill. The rare time he kicks on his right, he hits the player on the chest with ease. Often better on his right.

But it's amazing how many players don't kick with both. As a junior growing up, was trained to kick with both and practice only kicking with non-preferred all training. Why don't they do that these days is baffling.

It's embarassing when some players are so one sided, that they panic when they are covered on their preferred and forced to use the other. Either they handball it off or just don't kick it. Nic Suban was guilty of this. Lovely left foot, but players would always cover his left side that he just doesn't even kick with his right and get caught holding the ball.

Peter Bell was a great player on both sides as a ex Freo player

It still astounds me the proportion of players at AFL level who aren't at least competent on both sides.

Being a coach of junior football, I ensure any kid with a reasonable amount of ability has a handful of training sessions during the year where they kick exclusively on their opposite foot.

This gives them the confidence to then use it on game day, and they're off and running!
I agree, but disagree. if you are in the building trade for example. do you start to randomly hammer with your left hand. or if you work in IT do you randomly move the mouse over to your left hand and start clicking away. i would say that 99% of us don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, but disagree. if you are in the building trade for example. do you start to randomly hammer with your left hand. or if you work in IT do you randomly move the mouse over to your left hand and start clicking away. i would say that 99% of us don't.
Completely different thing

Noone comes and tackles you while you are banging a nail in because you had to switch the hammer to your preferred hand

Completely different thing

Noone comes and tackles you while you are banging a nail in because you had to switch the hammer to your preferred hand
ok do tennis players switch hand so the always hit forehand winners. do NFL Quaterback change hand before they throw. Do soccer players kick with their other foot when pinned in. to be honest i think that we are one of the only sports that as a % are probably leading the way for professional sports in this area

ok do tennis players switch hand so the always hit forehand winners. do NFL Quaterback change hand before they throw. Do soccer players kick with their other foot when pinned in. to be honest i think that we are one of the only sports that as a % are probably leading the way for professional sports in this area

I think many soccer players kick on both but don't watch enough to really know/have noticed.

Also I think it's easier to switch feet to kick a ball than switch hands to do more dexterous tasks.

Players who have used their opposite at least 30% of the time this year:
47% Angus Brayshaw
40% Steele Sidebottom
34% Stephen Coniglio
31% Jesse Joyce
30% Ben Stratton
30% Jack Martin

Players with 30+ kicks on their opposite this year who have a positive kick rating:
+9.0% Jake Melksham
+3.1% Shaun Higgins
+2.9% Lachie Whitfield
+1.0% Angus Brayshaw

Players who have used their opposite at least 30% of the time this year:
47% Angus Brayshaw
40% Steele Sidebottom
34% Stephen Coniglio
31% Jesse Joyce
30% Ben Stratton
30% Jack Martin

Players with 30+ kicks on their opposite this year who have a positive kick rating:
+9.0% Jake Melksham
+3.1% Shaun Higgins
+2.9% Lachie Whitfield
+1.0% Angus Brayshaw
What's Brayshaw like on his normal foot?

Sounds like he's the winner so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

kicking on both sides

Remove this Banner Ad

Back