Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2012 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey KM love your work im just curious as to how you come up with all this info are you employed as a recruiter or is the just a hobby, seems like a massive job you do and it is much appreciated, you seem very knowledgable and im sure you could get a gig doing this at a club somewhere

I appreciate the kind words.

This is just a hobby at this stage - it seems to grow every year for me. I found from a young age I always had a strong interest in the list management side of football and scouting and looking at the younger talent has just felt like a natural extention on this to give me a more whole knowledge.
I invest allot of time as many of the others on here do and I only strive to get better every year.

Just out of curiosity, just how many scouts do clubs have in a state like victoria? Is it like dozens of scouts per club just scouting in victoria then more in other states or is it like less than 5 per club or what?

It varys from club to play and grows every year. Around Australia most clubs would have around 10 and those who invest more heavily might have up to 20. So in Victoria most clubs might have something closer to 3-6 scouts in Victoria at a guess.

Not 100% certain but can't you be drafted out of local leagues. Provided he plays for a team and enters the draft.

This is my understanding also and I could also be wrong - I don't study the rules but rather the prospects.

James Gwilt as I understand it came out of a local league and Daniel Nicholson (while mature age) wasn't running around in the VFL.

I can't say I know the limitations either but would assume it doesn't matter which competition you play in. Any why should it matter? If a guy can play and is of draft age you shouldn't be ineligable.

Knighta, I wouldn't concern yourself with the armchair critics who cry foul for their friends but don't put up!

I am in awe of your commitment to your hobby and believe that your descriptions are accurate.

There is no doubt you know your stuff. You are a must read by all club recruiters.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind words Raymann. Much appreciated and it means allot coming from you.

I look forward to seeing the names you put forward in the bigfooty phantom next week. Should be fun.

Just saw the Lions get smashed in the clearances v Suns. If you could list the top three inside players who would they be?

Hi KM, what are thoughts on thomas langdon? seems to be playing well recently and getting a bit of the ball for sandringham dragons. last three weeks he has been best, best and second best. is he a chance?

Just out of curiosity, just how many scouts do clubs have in a state like victoria? Is it like dozens of scouts per club just scouting in victoria then more in other states or is it like less than 5 per club or what?

At a guess (and some insid'ish' knowledge) you will find clubs have many, many dedicated volunteers who go and watch TAC Cup Games, VFL games and an odd recruiter who may go and watch a specific kid (in school footy, or local footy like the VAFA).

Probably find it is the same in all the other (Division 1) states, with a single or couple of recruiters in the other smaller states.

All recruiters must recruit back to the chief person. At Essendon, it is Merv Keane (I think) with Adrian Dodoro also involved heavily (somehow).

Just saw the Lions get smashed in the clearances v Suns. If you could list the top three inside players who would they be?

Viney
Wines
Vlastuin

- Many will have O'Rouke ahead of Vlastuin and he certainly has a better rounded game but as a pure inside players these would be my choices.

Hi KM, what are thoughts on thomas langdon? seems to be playing well recently and getting a bit of the ball for sandringham dragons. last three weeks he has been best, best and second best. is he a chance?

Langdon is another of that very draftable group from the Dragons. Good height and looks good on a forward flank. In the mix and with more strong performances could find himself rising up some draft boards.

I disagree about Wilkins lacking substance to his game, and getting by purely on athleticism. But I just wanted to point something out about the stats - the WAFL website is notorious for getting their stats incorrect. The tackle numbers are usually the least accurate. Which certainly doesn't help anyone.

Not sure tackling is one of Wilkins strong points, he really needs to work VERY hard on his physicality, a little on the softer side of football. I have a little Morton worries about this kid.

I've had a look at both Chris and your mock draft and was just wondering why Temay is rated so low? I think you have him in the late 3rd round and Chris does not even have him on his list.

I've had Temay in my 2nd round for a while now but only have him dropping due to other clubs perceived needs. This year there are plenty of similar defenders/outside types in this draft so it really comes down to a surplus of a type and not all of them can get drafted.

I'm with you on Temay though. His game against Vic Country in particular stood out. I feel like I'm the only one on here who has bought up his name. Has gone under the radar some and have been really impressed with his play. I also think he might go higher than many predict.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joe Daniher (Ess - F/S) is by a long shot the best talent in this years draft. Lachie Whitfield (likely no.1 overall selection). Jack Viney (Melb - F/S), Oliver Wines, Lachlan Plowman, Jake Stringer, Nick Vlastuin, Jonothon O'Rouke, Jackson Macrae, Kristian Jaksch and Tanner Smith all look like they will go in the first two rounds at this stage.

Rory Atkins, Nathan Wright, James Stewart (Coll - F/S), Nathan Hrovat, Jason Pongracic, Matthew Haynes and Liam McBean also look likely to feature in the early rounds of the draft.

thanks for the feedback. I have noticed Atkins has appeared in the best for the cannons for the last 7 odd weeks what type of player would you compare him to? also James Stewart where is he at?

thanks for the feedback. I have noticed Atkins has appeared in the best for the cannons for the last 7 odd weeks what type of player would you compare him to? also James Stewart where is he at?

Atkins has really found some form over recent weeks and is moving up the standings some. Just finding allot more ball than he has previously. Attacks the ball and decision making excellent for an inside player. Similar to a Patrick Dangerfield and has explosive pace but probably not quite to the same level.

James Stewart has disappointed this season. Just doesn't seem to run to the right spots as a forward and while he has grown to an impressive 197cm he still plays his best football on a wing. Long term project and will take a good 3-4 years before he is AFL ready. At AFL level I see him as more of a Ben Reid type key defender and seems to read it allot better behind the play despite having played most of his footy up forward. 2nd/3rd rounder.

T
Atkins has really found some form over recent weeks and is moving up the standings some. Just finding allot more ball than he has previously. Attacks the ball and decision making excellent for an inside player. Similar to a Patrick Dangerfield and has explosive pace but probably not quite to the same level.

James Stewart has disappointed this season. Just doesn't seem to run to the right spots as a forward and while he has grown to an impressive 197cm he still plays his best football on a wing. Long term project and will take a good 3-4 years before he is AFL ready. At AFL level I see him as more of a Ben Reid type key defender and seems to read it allot better behind the play despite having played most of his footy up forward. 2nd/3rd rounder.

Thanks again Knighta. I was wondering in regards to stewart does collingwood really need anymore key position players? it seems we have an abundance of young KPFs and rucks in Ceglar, Witts, Paine, Gault. What type of player do you think collingwood will pick with their first selection?

I've had Temay in my 2nd round for a while now but only have him dropping due to other clubs perceived needs. This year there are plenty of similar defenders/outside types in this draft so it really comes down to a surplus of a type and not all of them can get drafted.

I'm with you on Temay though. His game against Vic Country in particular stood out. I feel like I'm the only one on here who has bought up his name. Has gone under the radar some and have been really impressed with his play. I also think he might go higher than many predict.

I've been preaching about him for a while, since he really turned the game in the VM/VC practise match at Princes Park. Just plays that unobtrusive type of game, not explosive, not lightning fast, doesn't have a thumping boot on him, but works well in tight and is a really nice kick to a lead. Anyone getting him as a mid second rounder or later would be doing very well indeed imho.

T

Thanks again Knighta. I was wondering in regards to stewart does collingwood really need anymore key position players? it seems we have an abundance of young KPFs and rucks in Ceglar, Witts, Paine, Gault. What type of player do you think collingwood will pick with their first selection?

Given the choice I probably would if there was one who appealed early. Preferably a key forward. And if one of Cloke or Reid leave then we certainly need to look for another key position player through the draft.

I certainly wouldn't look at any more young rucks though - Ceglar/Witts/Gault is plenty and all show promise so if we look at any more rucks over the next 2-3 years it will be through trade week.

For Collingwood with key position players I'm only confident in Reid and Keeffe as key defenders then Cloke as a key forward. - All this assumes perfect health. I'm probably going against the grain but long term I'd hope we could do better than Dawes and Brown who are both AFL standard, but not super high level key position players.

Stewart if given the choice I would certainly go for but it's unclear how keen Collingwood are and it's entirely possible that some other club falls in love with his intriguing skill set at 197cm and bids on him with a 2nd round selection. I certainly wouldn't match a first round bid and I would be shocked if Collingwood did. But a 2nd/3rd round bid is probably worth it and I'd go for that - but you invest with the knowledge he won't play any time soon.

First selection I'd look out for a back flanker type. Plenty in this draft and watching us play against some of the better sides in recent weeks we really have been missing some of the drive Leon Davis has given us. I'd be looking for someone with either great speed off a back flank or great footskills who can do some damage on the rebound.

I've been preaching about him for a while, since he really turned the game in the VM/VC practise match at Princes Park. Just plays that unobtrusive type of game, not explosive, not lightning fast, doesn't have a thumping boot on him, but works well in tight and is a really nice kick to a lead. Anyone getting him as a mid second rounder or later would be doing very well indeed imho.
Glad to see I may not be on my own.

Tim Broomhead doesn't seem to be on any of your's Chris or Tigs radar but was in the TAC Cups Future Star's Mock Draft AT 21 have you not seen him play or do you just not rate him

Good user of the ball as was the case with most of the SA team. I like his game and can do some damage with his footskills but probably more of a mid-draft option than early selection. Just one of many of those outside/back flankers of which there is a surplus. I would take Colquhoun before I'd take Broomhead - footskills, rebounding game and production another level up from that of Broomhead.

Tim Broomhead doesn't seem to be on any of your's Chris or Tigs radar but was in the TAC Cups Future Star's Mock Draft AT 21 have you not seen him play or do you just not rate him

Broomhead is one player that I've spoken about a bit on these boards. I've seen a fair bit of him over the last two years, he has always been a ball winner in the middle and capable of playing at either end too. His SANFL form lately has been excellent and I thought his U18 Championships performances were very underrated. He really did look the part of an AFL player, especially in the last match.

I still don't think he'd be a first round pick as that mock suggested, I tend to think he could realistically go anywhere between the second and fourth rounds. In comparison to someone like Sam Colquhoun, I could see teams having Broomhead ahead of him - he has shown better midfield form, and I think Broomhead is the better runner/rebounder.

In Fremantle terms (and best case scenario) he is a like a mix of Nathan Fyfe and Lachie Neale. He has that natural look and grace like Fyfe, but gets in and wins a whole heap of the ball like Neale. So I'm still sticking to my initial thoughts in terms of draft placement, but I do like him.

I've had a look at both Chris and your mock draft and was just wondering why Temay is rated so low? I think you have him in the late 3rd round and Chris does not even have him on his list.

Agree with this his disposal is close to best in tac and he took Whitfield apart in championships -got a bit of the bryce Gibbs about him -even looks like a Carlton player :)

I've only really seen him play once. Looked a solid prospect but no idea where to rate him off one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back