Player Watch Lachlan Murphy - 100 Games!

Remove this Banner Ad

Murphy and Neddy might interest Dimma, given they're the 2 players on our list that play the "Tigers" way most of all on our list. Berry off of a small sample might meet Dimma's criteria also.

Yup. Murphy could certainly get a gig at the Tigers. Though I could see most clubs being interested in him (either depth or best best 22) if he was to leave. He's a pretty solid player, really.

He can keep his grubby hands off the other two though as much as they're "Tiger" players in that sense.

Murphy didn't really spend that much time up forwards last year did he? I remember thinking that during the season, and whenever he was up forwards he appeared to go alright considering how much we struggled overall. I'd love to see him stay up forward, his second efforts are great, stalks the defenders and puts pressure on, tackles well.
I think he has more to offer than McAdam
In 2018 and 2019 Smurph played mainly as a deep forward/forward pocket. Last year he spent a lot of time as a high half forward and even had an occasional run in the midfield. Since the ball spent relatively little time in our forward 50 last year. our high half forwards spent plenty of time in the defensive half.

I can’t recall Lachie ever lining up as one of the six defenders but I have tried hard to purge all memories of 2020 from my mind 😉.

His rate of improvement has been really impressive. I'm definitely a fan now and am glad he's starting to move out of whipping boy territory.

He's a fun player to watch closely. There's always intentionality with what he does, trying to gain lots of subtle advantages. I think it's possible he could get a lot better still.

His rate of improvement has been really impressive. I'm definitely a fan now and am glad he's starting to move out of whipping boy territory.

He's a fun player to watch closely. There's always intentionality with what he does, trying to gain lots of subtle advantages. I think it's possible he could get a lot better still.
Looks more suited to playing further up the ground.... than being our stay at home full forward. ;)

Murph is set to play his 50th AFL game against the Hawks tomorrow. I reckon he’ll bag 3 and kick yet another GOTY this week.
Despite the knockers, he is a good cog in our team.

Decent Footy IQ, knows where to be, and highly competitive. Yes limited skillset, but he is improving

Now playing up the ground as part of the secondary midfield.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Every time he looks like being dropped, next week he pulls out a decent performance or some weirdly skillful play

I respect that
Has kicked more Eddie like goals than Eddie this year....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO he’s only made a stronger case for cementing his place in the team this year. I had my doubts after 2020, but he’s really starting to showcase some valuable midfield skills this year, something he hasn’t really had a chance to show yet in his AFL career. Good on Murph

IMO he’s only made a stronger case for cementing his place in the team this year. I had my doubts after 2020, but he’s really starting to showcase some valuable midfield skills this year, something he hasn’t really had a chance to show yet in his AFL career. Good on Murph

Player he reminds me off is Ian Callanin. Not drafted because because of his small height yet can play football. He has improved a lot since his debut.

Player he reminds me off is Ian Callanin. Not drafted because because of his small height yet can play football. He has improved a lot since his debut.
Callinan was actually a highly talented footballer though.

Murphy is a trier and to his credit, is having his best year. Let's not forget that he's been a pretty average player up until now though and got by on bringing effort.

If he can tidy up his skills and hit the scoreboard more consistently, I'd be happy with him going forward.

Spot on.
The longer he gets a game the further we are from a flag.

Wrong.

For every McLeod, Jarman, Rehn there's a Eccles, Koster, Thiessen.
Dusty, Riewoldt, Cotchin - Castagna, Broad, Baker. The lists go on.

A flag winning team will never have 22 superstars, they also need foot soldiers.
Murphy is one of these, he's limited and that's perfectly okay. We literally pulled him from Crowmania and he's shown he is good enough for this level.

He's graduated from the Richard Douglas school of constantly falling over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Lachlan Murphy - 100 Games!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back