Ladder predictions for 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

My predictions and the reasons why:

1. HAWTHORN - A highly professional club with a talented young team and very good coach that will be keen to put the 2009 premiership hangover behind them by taking out the 2010 Premiership.
2. BULLDOGS - Capable of winning the 2010 flag, but there are some other serious contenders that have better records in the finals, and may lose one before it wins one.
3. ADELAIDE - A very competent and talented side that will be a serious contender for the 2010 premiership.
4. COLLINGWOOD - The Magpies looked a chance late in 2009, but were found wanting against flag contenders the Bulldogs, Saints and Cats when it counted, and were undeserving winners against the Adelaide Crows. It is easier to imagine the Magpies getting pummelled by the Hawks, Bulldogs or Crows in a Preliminary than it is to see them winning the 2010 Premiership.
5. GEELONG - Although the Cats won the 2009 flag courtesy of a good finals series, in the weeks leading in Geelong had been struggling a bit. Was this form slump an aberration by a good team, or did the premiership mask the first signs of decline in this team? I nominate option B.
6. BRISBANE LIONS - A good side with a lot of enthusiasm, but the extensive recruiting and trading in the off season remains an X factor.
7. ST KILDA - The Saints will rue the 2009 GF loss for a long, long time. They should have wrapped up the game in the second quarter, and failing that iced the game midway through the last, but did neither and subsequently lost the game. While many young teams lose a grand final before winning one, the Saints are not a young side and history may repeat, as the St Kilda runner up teams of 1971 and 1997 never got a chance to atone for lost opportunities.
8. CARLTON - A finals contender, but not a premiership contender at this stage.
9. SYDNEY SWANS - The Swans are a competent mid ladder side, and more than capable of taking a finals spot if another team slips up.
10. MELBOURNE - A young team that has recruited well during two years on the bottom of the ladder. Showed enthusiasm last year, and could be the big improvers. Given the remarkable ability of Melbourne teams to climb the ladder very quickly in the past, a finals spot is not unrealistic.
11. WEST COAST EAGLES - The glory days of the mid 2000s are a long way behind this club - but their next glory days look to be even further in the future. Mid ladder at best.
12. ESSENDON - Made the 2009 finals, but served only to strengthen the debate that there are too many teams playing finals in any given year. Can be enigmatic and can suprise, but it is hard to seem them finishing anywhere other than mid ladder.
13. PORT ADELAIDE - Seemed determined not to play in the 2009 finals with some bizarre losses, and it seems unrealistic that they will challenge for the Top 8 in 2010.
14. FREMANTLE - "I Can't Believe It's Not Essendon" has finished 14th in each of the past two seasons - and it is hard to see them climbing up the ladder. Will be a wooden spoon contender with the Roos and Tigers.
15. NORTH MELBOURNE - North appear to be behind the eight ball on the field - looking set to bottom out with no priority picks courtesy of the entry of Gold Coast & West Sydney. Can anyone say "Canberra Kangaroos"?
16. RICHMOND - Finished 2009 in dismal form, and the Tigers will probably add the 2010 wooden spoon to their trophy cabinet.
lol idiot

I think the top 7 are a monty and I think whoever gets the best run with injury between West Coast and North will sneak in to 8th place.

St Kilda
Western Bulldogs
Geelong
Brisbane
Collingwood
Hawthorn
Adelaide
West Coast/North

West Coast/North
Essendon
Sydney
Carlton
Port
Fremantle
Melbourne
Richmond

- St Kilda will salute for the 2nd time in 150 odd years.

- The Western Bulldogs will be their opponent.

- Brisbane and Collingwood will hold ground, but will not be serious flag threats.

- Hawthorn will spring back.

- Adelaide, and to a lesser extent Geelong, will begin to slide.

- Carlton going south with a bullet.

- Port, Freo and Melbourne will all have rebuilding seasons and will show improvement.

- The Tiges will comfortably finish last.

1. hawthorn
2. footscray
3. collingwood (boooooo)
4. crow
5. cats (booooo)
6. saints
7. melbourne
8. blues (more booooo)

9. bears
10. north melbourne
11. swans
12. tigers
13. fremantle
14. port adelaide
15. eagles
16. essendon (boooooo)

coleman medal (medal for the best goal kicker) - lance buddy franklin 163
brownlow medal (medal for greatest player in the league) - cyril rioli dont laugh i just love him so much hehe
norm smith medal (medal for best player in the final) - stewart dew
best new star (best of the young players) - wayde skipper

lmao classic stuff! :thumbsu:

btw mate you don't need to explain what the medals are for.

lmao classic stuff! :thumbsu:

btw mate you don't need to explain what the medals are for.

hello sirjimi nice to meet you. i like your picture you are very pretty.

my pa said that i am very smart about footy. i know more than most people so i like to help them to learn more. that way everyone can be smart about footy. that is why i explained what the medals are for. :)

lance buddy franklin kicked 113 goals in 2008 so if you add only 25 extra each season it becomes 163 goals. he is older and better now so i think he will do it. my friend johny reckons he can kick 200 but i told him he is crazy. not even big plugger could do that. ;)

We beat the best side of 2009.

Our young rucks are only going to be better.

We have arguably the best young defence in the comp.

Ziebell, Wells, Harvey, Adams, Anthony, Pratt, Campbell and Ben Warren all had injury interrupted seasons.

Cunnington and Bastinac look ready made starters. In fact, Bastinac has been tearing it up.

If injury is kind to us, we will be thereabouts.

The glaring deficiency is full forward. Scott has earmarked Petrie to play forward all season in 2010. If someone else bobs up and can contribute ~ 40 goals then we should definitely make it.

Our young rucks are only going to be better.
Not really. They could become duds and get delisted in 2 years. Saying youngsters will only get better never works.

We have arguably the best young defence in the comp.
I'd say you do have the best. Or the Dees.

I expect North to improve and I think choosing Scott was a great decision but you still lack star players imo. The only reason I see Sydney challenging for the 8 is Goodes. Take him out and we are probably a bottom 4 side.

- Adelaide, and to a lesser extent Geelong, will begin to slide

Slide indeed... lol :thumbsdown: :D

Amazed at the number of posts on this subject that have No general idea about other clubs, game plans, form, nor their player lists lol

1. St Kilda - Will be hungry after losing the GF and know their Premiership window is Now...
2. Western Bulldogs - Will be hard to beat in the minor rounds, will be a chance in '10.
3. Adelaide - If form of their young players continue with less reliance on the aging Goodwin/Edwards/McLeod, will be very hard to beat in the Minor rounds. Finals are another question...
4. Collingwood - Good list of players, well coached and can beat any team on it's day.
5. Geelong - After 2 Premierships the Hunger normally dies in most teams, Will Geelong be the same or do they want to that rare 3rd Premiership?
6. Hawthorn - Great team if no one gets an injury. If they get too many, will be a repeat of '09.
7. Brisbane - Good (if risky) trading this year could make them the "Dark Horse" in '10... Or just another making up the numbers...
8. West Coast - Improving young list on the rise, Should tip the rest to make it into the 8.

9. Essendon - Some good young players coming through, but like Hawthorn, need a good run with injuries to be a chance to make the Finals.
10. Sydney - My knowledge is limited on the Swans, But they have a
knack of beating any team on the day.
11. Carlton - Even with it's Stars, you have to wonder where the winning scores will come from after so many years with a forward line based on 1 player. One would think a new game plan is needed or a stop gap replacement is required for the Blues... Will the "offfield" problems have an effect also?
12. Melbourne - Will this young team finally get runs on the board? or will the years of tanking be a waste? Who bloody knows! lol
13. North Melbourne - Limited knowledge of this team makes it hard to know what they can do to be honest (Sorry Roo fans).
14. Fremantle - *sigh* I would really like to see this team finally get their act together! Got two of the great players in the league, but just can't get a good coach and good second string players to help them out to make a chance for the finals. Hopefully they will surprise many teams in '10.
15. Port Adelaide - With so many problems on and off the field, with rehiring a coach that the players don't seem to be inspired to play for and plus an aging list of good players, will be hard to win many games...
16. Richmond - This is really the worst time to start/need a rebuild of already poor list, lets hope their younger players get a chance to show what they have for the future...

GF - St. Kilda - Geelong (Adelaide if they win the important final games)
Premiership - St. Kilda :(

Brownlow - Vince or Ablett jr. (Vince a smokey)
Coleman - Franklin or Tippet (Biased call I know lol)

My random guessing based on at least some idea of other teams (or admit to no idea)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really. They could become duds and get delisted in 2 years. Saying youngsters will only get better never works.

McIntosh is already in the top couple of young rucks. Goldstein is blitzing on the training track and will be just as good or better, take my word for it.:thumbsu:

What club in the competition has a better 3rd ruckman than David Hale?

I expect North to improve and I think choosing Scott was a great decision but you still lack star players imo.

North finished 3 games outside the 8 in 2009 after playing kids for the last half of the season.

22 year old Andrew Swallow arrived and finished equal 2nd in the AFL for contested possessions with Joel Sellwood. Only Brett Kirk finished ahead of them. He will be better in 2010.

20 year old Levi Greenwood completely shut down Chris Judd, Cameron Bruce and Nick Dal Santo in his 7th, 8th and 10th games respectively. He will only get better in 2010.

Harvey is a star, Ziebell is being touted by all and sundry and Liam Anthonys first 10 games yielded a 26 possession average. All were severely hampered by injury in 2009. All will be better in 2010.

20 year old Ben Warren arrived and he bagged 11 goals in his first 8 games, including a bag of 4 against Brisbane, when his season was unfortunately cut short by injury. He will only get better in 2010.

Like I stated earlier, if we have a good run with injury and can find someone to give us a target at full forward, we will be thereabouts.

The only reason I see Sydney challenging for the 8 is Goodes. Take him out and we are probably a bottom 4 side.

Sydney are going through a changing of the guard right now. They definitely won't plummet, but I think the gap between the senior and junior players is still significant.

1. hawthorn
2. footscray
3. collingwood (boooooo)
4. crow
5. cats (booooo)
6. saints
7. melbourne
8. blues (more booooo)

9. bears
10. north melbourne
11. swans
12. tigers
13. fremantle
14. port adelaide
15. eagles
16. essendon (boooooo)

coleman medal (medal for the best goal kicker) - lance buddy franklin 163
brownlow medal (medal for greatest player in the league) - cyril rioli dont laugh i just love him so much hehe
norm smith medal (medal for best player in the final) - stewart dew
best new star (best of the young players) - wayde skipper

fail

Hawks 80
Geelong 76
Saints 72
Brisbane 72
Adelaide 68
Doggies 56
Eagles 56
Collingwood 52

Port Adel 32
Richmond 28
Fremantle 28
Sydney 24
North 24
Carlton 20
Essendon 8
Melbourne 8

Hawks to have a decent run with injuries, Geelong to have their last chace at a premiership before sliding next year.

Top 8 will be sealed by about Round 18.

I know my ladder seems quite predictable but I've gone through the season, game by game and I came up with this.

2011 will show a TOTALLY different ladder. Doggies, Geelong and possibly Brisbane down to 7-12 position. West Coast, Port, Freo, North and Carlton all realistic chances for Top 8, 1 of them to make Top 4.
*facepalm*

Seeing a team use what could quite possibly be one of their gameplans before the season begins could help them plan for their match, if they they use the game plan.

It may not help them at all, but it also certainly couldn't harm them.
that's what scouts are for champ:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Ladder predictions for 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back