Preview Leon Davis' future

Remove this Banner Ad

Coin_Toss

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I know it's probably not the best time to start a thread about 2011 but I was curious as to where we all thought Leon Davis is at in regards to getting his spot back in the best 22.

I'd imagine he will start from outside the 22, but Mick will be telling him he's still a part of the setup and he needs to have a big pre-season to earn some credits back that he lost from his grand final performance and finals in general.

I've heard his best mate is Andrew Krakouer, so together with Krak they may push each other and get the best out of each other, like I hear Johnno's doing with Taz.

Your thoughts?

I know it's probably not the best time to start a thread about 2011 but I was curious as to where we all thought Leon Davis is at in regards to getting his spot back in the best 22.

I'd imagine he will start from outside the 22, but Mick will be telling him he's still a part of the setup and he needs to have a big pre-season to earn some credits back that he lost from his grand final performance and finals in general.

I've heard his best mate is Andrew Krakouer so together with Krak they may push each other and get the best out of each other, like I hear Johnno's doing with Taz.

Your thoughts?

I think Leon will get on well with Krak. Similar personality types and I think both could work well in combination with Krak the inside option and Leon the outside option.

Leon I expect will start the season as the 27/28th man. But this doesn't mean he can't break back into the side if he gets back to full fitness.

I'd like Leon to play as a high half forward/ midfielder again. He was played out of position this season, so if he can build up the fitness to play this role I think he can become a member of our best 22 again knowing what he could produce in 2009 in this role.

Just comes down to building up the fitness base to get the consistancy, having a bit of luck with injuries and being played in the right role. None of which are certain, but we can only hope for the best.

I think Leon will get on well with Krak. Similar personality types and I think both could work well in combination with Krak the inside option and Leon the outside option.

Leon I expect will start the season as the 27/28th man. But this doesn't mean he can't break back into the side if he gets back to full fitness.

I'd like Leon to play as a high half forward/ midfielder again. He was played out of position this season, so if he can build up the fitness to play this role I think he can become a member of our best 22 again knowing what he could produce in 2009 in this role.

Just comes down to building up the fitness base to get the consistancy, having a bit of luck with injuries and being played in the right role. None of which are certain, but we can only hope for the best.

Fair call. He was played mostly out of a forward pocket this year where he relies on crumbs for most of his goals. The other disappointing area was his tackling pressure believe it or not, especially towards the latter end of the year, he wasn't pressuring like we know he can, which probably cost him his spot in the grand final replay.

If he has a solid pre-season, I don't see any reason why he couldn't break back in, but it'd have to be as a high half-forward/midfielder to get anything out of him.

I don't think he likes playing so deep and it rattles him a little. He needs a bit of freedom.

He has fanatstic skills and still has enough pace, so if he can get rid of any niggles and get his fitness up there's no reason why he couldn't have a pretty solid impact again.

I guess it all depends how we go about the new interchange rules and whether we find it important to carry a player who can potentially play as a midfielder and a deep forward as we may see more players rested forward than on the bench in 2011.

Don't think he needs a role model in Krakuer. He'll be in the mix if he's fit.

Both davis and krakuer will be easily related to role models for Brad Dick who must be starting to tire of the setbacks, might fire him up for a big 2011.

Havn't seen much of Krakuer play but physically he looks like a developed version of Brad Dick, more of a loping, long striding, long limbed type of physique than Davis. Is this a fair comparison?

2011 a break out year for brad dick as the lights slowly go out for a rapidly aging davis is my tip..

For Leon, it's all about how fit he is.

In 2009 he had no injury problems until just before the finals, and he was an All Australian forward/midfielder.

Yet, in 2010, he looked to struggle from the very first game, and never really spent any considerable time in the midfield.

Close to 100% fit, Leon is in our best 10 players, but if he struggles like he did last year, I rate him outside of our best 22.

He is an "explosive" player, and he simply won't be much to use to us next year if he struggles with injury again.

But if he can get and stay fit, wow, what a side we will have in 2011, with the additions of Andrew "Michael Barlow" Krakouer and Chris "All Australian up until his injury" Tarrant.:D

Yeah it all depends on his fitness and where he gets played. If he's allowed to play through the midfield and drift into the backline to get the ball like he did in 2009 then there's no reason why he can't have a great year. However if he's played up forward it's going to be more of the same. He'll have some big games then a few quiet ones, which unfortunately (for Leon) isn't good enough anymore.

Good points - IMO Davis still has a role to play. The injury gods were extremely kind to us this year and Leon will be critical if any of the premiership smalls go down eg Sidey, Beams, Swanny etc.
He isn't a replacement for any of them but more than a handy backup

I genuinely hope he can get back to his 2009 form and be a key part of a 2011 flag, along with Presti.

Whilst winning the flag was great , there's a big part of me that's saddened that those two missed out - along with blokes like O'Bree, Bucks, Burns, Clement, Licuria, Rocca etc.

Without Leon's clutch goal in the first GF we'd be still hearing about St Kilda's second flag.

I genuinely hope he can get back to his 2009 form and be a key part of a 2011 flag, along with Presti.

Whilst winning the flag was great , there's a big part of me that's saddened that those two missed out - along with blokes like O'Bree, Bucks, Burns, Clement, Licuria, Rocca etc.

Without Leon's clutch goal in the first GF we'd be still hearing about St Kilda's second flag.

Yes and no.

If Goldy had played instead of Leon in GF1, Pies would not have needed GF2 in all likelihood.

I am convinced he wasn't fit. If so, then there is potential for him to regain his former sparkle, which would be great to see.

He'd need to, because there's so much hot opposition for spots now, with both Dick and Krakouer and possibly Rounds also looking for his spot.

Not bullish overall on Leon's future TBH, love to be proven wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubts at all if he can get fit again (remembering that he was injured preseason and was always going to struggle from there) I am sure that we can look forward to seeing him swoop on the ball and deliver it with pin point precision passes as we saw in 2009.

HF: A.Didak T.Cloke A.Krakouer
F: L.Davis C.Dawes B.Dick

Why not?

ps...one of the more exciting forward lines going around if chosen.

HF: A.Didak T.Cloke A.Krakouer
F: L.Davis C.Dawes B.Dick

Why not?

ps...one of the more exciting forward lines going around if chosen.

Because beams sidebottom and probably Blair all have claims on a spot too

Unless Davis is very very fit, he probably isn't best 22

Thanks for the replies.

@ Takahashi Tank, that's exciting, but I wonder about McCaffer, he would also be stiff to miss out given the form he showed this year in a defensive forward role. Dick's shoulder would be a concern. I wouldn't rush him back into the side without being cautious.

No I doubt all 3 can. But Leon I hope can get his form back, my favourite player when he is on song and love his goal celebrations loves a goal more then most me thinks

Dick, Krakouer and Davis

They probably can't all make our top 22, but my goodness they will make the VFL worth watching, with them certain to be running in the midfield.

I'd be wanting 2 in our first 22 if all are fit, and my choices would be the two Ds in that situation.

Mind you, I've heard the form Krak was in last year was nothing short of amazing, and he could just run through the middle of the ground and dominate. It's all pending, in my view, on whether parole and US migration boards let him into the Arizona camp.

Miss that trip and Krak might find himself just too far back to make up the ground on Leon and Brad Dick.

Dick, Krakouer and Davis

They probably can't all make our top 22, but my goodness they will make the VFL worth watching, with them certain to be running in the midfield.

I'd be wanting 2 in our first 22 if all are fit, and my choices would be the two Ds in that situation.

Mind you, I've heard the form Krak was in last year was nothing short of amazing, and he could just run through the middle of the ground and dominate. It's all pending, in my view, on whether parole and US migration boards let him into the Arizona camp.

Miss that trip and Krak might find himself just too far back to make up the ground on Leon and Brad Dick.
Hyperbaric chamber could help plus he has already been working while leon and brad are (quite rightly) celebrating. If he can produce 2/3 of the form he did in the WAFL he could be a stunner and remember he has so much to prove to so many people which will be a prime motivating factor. As for the VFL situation totally agree plus the fact of having that extra zing factor might just get us to the VFL granny which would allow us to have fully match fit players ready to go in the event we make the granny in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back