Leon Davis severs ties with Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah this is no surprise. I saw an interview during the season where he said he wouldn't be back with the Pies next year because he was homesick.

Basically said he's too homesick to play in Victoria, but wouldn't be too homesick to play for Port or the Crows should the opportunity arise.

Collingwood must have asked him to take a significant pay cut imo. He's played there for his whole career. If they offered him another 2 years at the same salary he would have signed for sure.

He spends more time in Adelaide then he does in Perth. His mrs is from here and has a stack of family here. I always see him pretty much every offseason in Adelaide so there is no doubt he would play here and its not a financial decision.
Knowing quite a few of his mates here they have said that he stayed a lot longer at the club then he was going to and he felt he owed them for sticking by him.

In trade week Leon was a dud, 31, went missing in big games and was a downhill skier. Now he is an AA champion who Collingwood has disrespected and will be a valuable recruit.

Leon has wanted to go back to WA for years, his missus is from SA.

It is amazing how the attitudes towards players by some BF posters varies according to the club the player is associated with.

See the Judd board ... pot, kettle, black, white.

GWS would be licking their lips seeing Collingwood's cap bulging so much they can't even keep a vetrens list player and Pendles only signing a 1 year deal, Pendlebury GWS captain 2013 taking over from Luke Power, lock it in Eddie.
On the contrary GWS and free agency is why the Pies are being so frugal with their cap at present. Make no mistake there are going to be some tears over free agency and it is well known at Collingwood that the AFL are mopre than happy for GWS and GC to benefit but Collingwood are positioning themselves not just to defend but to attack.

A lot of this fall-out gets back to timing.

If, on the one hand, Collingwood's contract offer was on the table before trade week, then Davis obviously needed to give them a decision then and allow them (and himself) the possibility of effecting a trade to Freo or WC.

On the other hand, if the contract offer has eventuated since trade week, then it would appear that Collingwood were trying to put pressure on Davis by shutting off his best alternatives.

My suspicions tend to favour the latter scenario, and good on Davis for telling Collingwood to go jump.
Doesn't make sense. The latter scenario would be idiotic. He could get to WCE or Freo by the draft and Collingwood would get nothing so the strategy puts more pressure on Collingwood not Davis. If he was offered 200k as reported then that's the right offer IMO.

Leon was a laughing stock 12 months ago. Suddenly hes the best player on the planet and the usual anti Collingwood trolls are lining up to take a swing at the club for getting rid of him.

How quickly the tide changes.

Davis will be missed but only for a year or so. it's much better to invest in youth and if losing Davis means we keep Maccaffer (who has actually performed in Grand Finals) then I am all for it.

It also eases the stress of potential mass retirements at the end of 2012 with Johnson Tarrant Jolly and Didak all nearing the end.
Some may be trolling, but I'm not one of them. I don't think it's going to hurt Collingwood nearly as much as some people would like it to (Davis leaving that is).

I'm guessing a lot of people will suddenly discover that Leon is actually a fantastic player that they've always rated and that Collingwood are fools to let him go.

Yep, funny to see Leon Davis's stocks sky rocket around here the moment it comes about that he is leaving Collingwood.

A lot of our star players have accepted contracts under market rates.

Yep:thumbsu: And you keep adding big name players each trade period aswell...

I can assure you Collingwood players are also accepting under market value contracts and yet they are facing serious salary cap issues. Not Hawthorn though....

Some may be trolling, but I'm not one of them. I don't think it's going to hurt Collingwood nearly as much as some people would like it to (Davis leaving that is).

Well maybe you're at other extreme where you never rated him. he's a dual All Australian and he will definitely leave a hole. But he's only a year or so away from retirement anyway and we have been developing kids to replace all our veterans.

Well maybe you're at other extreme where you never rated him. he's a dual All Australian and he will definitely leave a hole. But he's only a year or so away from retirement anyway and we have been developing kids to replace all our veterans.
Yeah, I mean don't get me wrong, it's clear he's highly skilled, but he never has delivered in finals, and as you said, isn't far off retirement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heath Shaw could handle it comfortably.

If all else fails they can let the skipper take care of it.

Marty Clarke? How does he go at it?

Tyson Goldsack also proved effective sometimes with the torp straight down the middle.

Sad for the Pies, but I don't think it's worth putting in a huge effort to bring him back. If he has decided at the moment he wants to be in Perth, even if he did come back, he still probably wouldn't have the same application because of a desire to go back. A kind of 'get it over and done with' attitude

Manager has said he is willing to play for an SA club, but I don't think we really fit the type of team he would be of benefit too. If he was 28 and had a good 4 or 5 season left, I would say hell yes to getting him, but 30 is just a bit too old for our current squad. We have Johncock anyway, who plays the same role and has been unlucky to miss AA selection.

How has he gone in the Copeland over the past couple of years Timmy.

I rate him based on the genuine quality of the past 2 years, they dont give AA to also rans. Cant see him getting the same money at the Eagles as he wouldnt be eligible for the veterans list.

I can understand the Pies hard balling it, but it doesnt do much for the call to club loyalty.

A Perfect fit for Fremantle !!

Replacement for Roger Hayden and give them the run from defence they rely on .

Sounds good in theory but I feel Freo might baulk at giving him a year. However, I won't be surprised if he has got some sort of commitment from either them or us that has influenced him to pull the pin at the Magpies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Leon Davis severs ties with Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back