Liam Jurrah facing 4 extra charges

Remove this Banner Ad

Beyond this, some of the comments here make me wonder if im still living in Australia or if i've woken to find myself in France (guilty until proven innocent)

Er ... not sure where you got that from, as the presumption of innocence is a cornerstone of French law.

Article 9-1 du code civil :

Chacun a droit au respect de la présomption d'innocence.

I get the feeling certain Melbourne supporters in here will no be preaching racial sensitivity as much in a hypothetical situation of tribal justice resulting in the murder of Jurrah. Really hope the family can sort their differences without the bloodshed soon.

Yes let's celebrate the presumption of innocence and remember the wise words of Bowers when he suspended Fevola over a criminal charge:

“Respect and responsibility towards women is something that this club thinks is non-negotiable. We feel that the allegation is a very serious one and we think if the behaviour is as described, then it’s unacceptable behaviour for anyone in football,” Bowers said.

“While everyone is entitled to the presumption of innocence, the Brisbane Lions Football Club wants to make clear it is taking this incident seriously and feels the only proper course of action is to suspend Brendan immediately from all club activity until such time as the AFL and police have had an opportunity to investigate the matter further.

“The club will continue to cooperate fully with the AFL and any Queensland police investigation".

Note Brendan's charge was minor compared to Jurrahs. Note also that Fevola proclaimed his innocence from the start. Note lastly that the AFL also wanted to investigate Fevola (and did so).

Glad to see that Melbourne and the AFL have taken the same route with Jurrah or is there a separate rule for crimes in the NT.

sorry haven't read all the posts (& won't)

my almost 12 year old son who is footy mad, but also pretty switched on noticed that Jurrah was in & Bail was out.
??????:confused:

Rohan Bail.....

A player from the Melbourne Football Club.

FFS.

They're completely different situations royals; it's comparing apples to fish n' ****ing chips!!!

You can't have a one penalty fits all policy for these things, that's ignorant of the individual.

They're completely different situations royals; it's comparing apples to fish n' ****ing chips!!!

You can't have a one penalty fits all policy for these things, that's ignorant of the individual.

I've worked for the Commonwealth for 27 years, and in all that time I knew that if I was charged with a violent crime I would not only face the wrath of the courts, I would be placed on administrative leave without pay until the matter was resolved. That was a condition of my employment, and if I didn't like it, I could leave after I'd fulfilled my contract.

Funnily enough, my job was primarily based around killing.

I get the feeling certain Melbourne supporters in here will no be preaching racial sensitivity as much in a hypothetical situation of tribal justice resulting in the murder of Jurrah. Really hope the family can sort their differences without the bloodshed soon.

I was discussing this very point with a mate yesterday.

I can't imagine the hilarity if Jurrah was found innocent of the crime, but for some reason still has to take a spear to the leg as his 'cultural' punishment. It would be a good laugh watching Melbourne try to handle that.

I don't understand the positives that Melbourne get out of selecting him? Heaps of negatives are there and if it goes pear shaped, for some reason, it could be disastrous.

Why play him? His form's nothing to write home about and there may be question marks over his mental state.

What about all the guys at Melbourne who can't get a game ahead of a guy of highly questionable character.

This is doing no favours for Indigenous round.
I can just hear Derrwayne Russells voice now:

"... Jones, shorts it inside 50 - Jurrah! Well this would bring the house down if he can kick truly here. Hasnt had a great start in 2012..... What an important kick this is - not just in the context of this game for the Dees, but in the context of this mans life. In he comes, looks BEAUTIFUL off the boot! ... Liam Jurrah!!!! You are an inspiration!! And look at all his teammates come go over to him to say well done. That's what Dream Time is all about!! Magic!!".

Whichever commentator calls this game, there will be unparalleled bias for Melbourne to win, and an inevitable wank fest if Jurrah gets a goal. Swans fans might want to watch this on TV with the sound muted.

I can just hear Derrwayne Russells voice now:

"... Jones, shorts it inside 50 - Jurrah! Well this would bring the house down if he can kick truly here. Hasnt had a great start in 2012..... What an important kick this is - not just in the context of this game for the Dees, but in the context of this mans life. In he comes, looks BEAUTIFUL off the boot! ... Liam Jurrah!!!! You are an inspiration!! And look at all his teammates come go over to him to say well done. That's what Dream Time is all about!! Magic!!".

Whichever commentator calls this game, there will be unparalleled bias for Melbourne to win, and an inevitable wank fest if Jurrah gets a goal. Swans fans might want to watch this on TV with the sound muted.

"That could be the firestarter!!!"

facepalm.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes let's celebrate the presumption of innocence

Yes, let's. Given that we live in a country where everyone is supposed to be entitled to that right.

And putting aside the presumption of innocence that our legal system is founded upon, would you care to respond to the following points as made thus far:

- The nature of the case, two family groups from the same community split by a bitter and tragic feud, makes the nature and motivation of witness statements from either side difficult to receive objectively.

- Even the prosecutor has stated that alcohol may have been a factor among some of the witnesses, as many people allegedly present at the dispute had been drinking. "To be fair, there is some disparity in the oral evidence in terms of who did what," he said.

- According to court documents, Jurrah 'allegedly' was in possession of a nulla nulla, which is nothing like a machete. And even that is thoroughly unproven.

- July is only a committal hearing. The case will not go to trial, if it does so, until late this year or even more likely next year. This is the standard course in the NT.

On the last point, would you see fit to stand down Jurrah for an entire season, possibly longer, based on allegations that may well turn out to be false?

I was discussing this very point with a mate yesterday.

I can't imagine the hilarity if Jurrah was found innocent of the crime, but for some reason still has to take a spear to the leg as his 'cultural' punishment. It would be a good laugh watching Melbourne try to handle that.
Surely, such tribal punishment wouldn't be administered until 'after' he finishes his playing career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Liam Jurrah facing 4 extra charges

Remove this Banner Ad

Back