Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ling is another moron commentator that offers nothing except praise every single player and club; the channel 7 Gameday way.:rolleyes:

When he retired all the media coverage was that he was a senior coach in waiting but he's proven to be a complete idiot by the way he commentates.

When he retired all the media coverage was that he was a senior coach in waiting but he's proven to be a complete idiot by the way he commentates.
And that is exactly why Hodgey needs to stay in the game after he retires.
Not just talk about it!
But live it and Coach it! He would be so lost to the game if he goes down the media path.

Ling is very, very annoying. As is the Collingwood centric commentary. Funnily enough, I find Carey worth listening to. By the way, the auto correct on my MacBook corrected Ling to Lions - loving it!!

I don’t disagree with you at all but purple was saying this stuff this time last year.

Yeah, old purple has had an axe to grind in relation to us for quite a while now. Something has happened with our club & him in the past and is one of the reasons he still sleeps with the light on lol. He's not really a footy journalist, he's a gossip journalist who works in the footy industry. That's why he's a bit of a broken record when it comes to us, journos with a bit of footy IQ are jumping on board and can articulate why we are turning the corner. Purple on the other hand never comes up with an argument to counter them, he just goes back to the old well of 'yeah but they've only won x amount of games'.

And of course, if we have another 5 win year then of course the coach will be under the pump. That's not ground breaking journalism. Common sense. The same could be said of many teams, but not Carlton, if they lose to Richmond who took the foot off the gas after winning the first quarter by about 40 points, then they are showing signs. lol.

Last edited:
Ling is another moron commentator that offers nothing except praise every single player and club; the channel 7 Gameday way.:rolleyes:

It's game eve so we are full of confidence and hope. Bag the positive press after a loss, not before a win.

Fair turnaround by the club, although some of the commentary I've heard is that we were one club that was probably closest thing to a 666 set-up pre 2019.

I'll add to that and suggest that Fagan was (clearly in my mind) probably on the front foot with his approach last year, knowing the rule change was coming in. I think there's a few coaches who've been caught out by what the rules have altered and are playing a bit of catch up. Not sure how long it will take the league as a whole to ferret out the gritty details, but right now I think the 22 we are putting out each week feel pretty comfortable with 6-6-6.

I'll add to that and suggest that Fagan was (clearly in my mind) probably on the front foot with his approach last year, knowing the rule change was coming in. I think there's a few coaches who've been caught out by what the rules have altered and are playing a bit of catch up. Not sure how long it will take the league as a whole to ferret out the gritty details, but right now I think the 22 we are putting out each week feel pretty comfortable with 6-6-6.

I don't think it has as much to do with 'Fagan knew more and capitalised' because if that were true North would be winning games too. I think the 6-6-6 naturally suits our list and we've seen evidence of it since before Fagan (albeit the list has turned over a lot). We've gone ahead and enhanced our midfield ability and combined that with what is probably the in-form forward line of the comp. Where other teams are struggling to hit 100+, it's become our par score and we're simply able to score consistently each week. IMO we'd be doing as well (maybe a 5050 game lost and sitting on 2-1) without it, but what it's done is allowed us to capitalise on our strengths (as well as our recruits strengths).

Who’s expectations?
Those who think an 8-10 win season is a good year or those who think finals as a minimum?
8-10 win season was the general consensus on expectations. Others were less confident than that. I always drink from the half full glass so my expectations preseason were finals but have now been upgraded to flag.

It really does play to our strengths:
  1. Our new midfield has a starting line-up of some of the best hard ball winners in the league. A combination of Neale, Lyons and either Zorko or McCluggage would be right up there, and that's not even including a top five contested ball ruckman.
  2. Our defense is very good man on man. We didn't and don't rely on a spare man to paper over gaps.
  3. Our forwards thrive in space. McStay and Hipwood both do their best work when there's more space, and Cameron and McCarthy are obviously very dangerous with room to move.
A team like Melbourne has #1 sown up, but without Hogan they don't have a big one on one threat up forward and have traditionally relied on an extra man in defense to take their intercept marks. West Coast probably hits all the notes except #1 where they are down a bit these days without Priddis or NN. Geelong often uses that third man up in defense but don't seem to find it absolutely necessary.

It’s amazing that our scores from centre bounces stat is league high despite us not exactly dominating centre bounce clearance numbers, particularly last weekend.

Points to what I’ve been saying that despite winning, we have a lot more upside to tap into yet. We start taking advantage in the middle and we might run up some big scores on teams.

Exciting to be 3-0 with room to grow.

Was pleasing to hear Bartel say yesterday that there is something very sustainable about the way we are playing. Good balance in the squad executing a clear plan. It’s not just a case of a young team playing above themselves and ambushing a few sides at the start of the season.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bartel seems to be coming up a lot for us recently. Is he a big fan or has he been involved with us in some way?

My understanding is that he had been doing scouting in NSW and Vic for us in 2017 and 2018. But that could be wrong. He's now doing a scouting role for GWS in Vic afaik.

Bartel seems to be coming up a lot for us recently. Is he a big fan or has he been involved with us in some way?

He was part of our recruiting team for a brief period.

He was involved with us last year doing some player scouting. No doubt has a soft spot for us, but think his commentary is one of the better standards compared to other retired players.

Good discussion. Champion data showed the Lions starting position was 6,6,6, 67.9% of the time in 2018 the most of any club, the P{its were second using it 64.9% of the time. The lowest team was Richmond who only lined up that way 3.4% of the time, then the Crows 4.4% and Norf 10.6% of the time. You can find an article on fox Sports about it February 20th. Its an easy argument to make we were the team the rule affected least and you could even argue Neale and Lyons were the perfect recruits we needed to play the rule which effectively gives your midfield 4 or 5 extra seconds to clear the ball before the traffic gets there.

Ling is very, very annoying. As is the Collingwood centric commentary. Funnily enough, I find Carey worth listening to. By the way, the auto correct on my MacBook corrected Ling to Lions - loving it!!

Carey is okay. One time recently one of the other commentators said something like five goals these days is worth seven or so goals a couple of decades back. Carey shot it down and the muppet who said it wasn't too happy. Carey doesn't toe the party line.

We need to cash in while we are in form and have some momentum, lets face it we're not going through the season undefeated so there will be down games and down stretches particularly with a large percentage of youngish players in our seniors. Bank as many early wins as possible.

Would be interesting to know what crowd is expected for the Pies game. There was a FB post after the Port game from the club saying something like "ready for a sellout", surely not? School end grandstand above verandah maybe needs to be opened?

It’s amazing that our scores from centre bounces stat is league high despite us not exactly dominating centre bounce clearance numbers, particularly last weekend.

Points to what I’ve been saying that despite winning, we have a lot more upside to tap into yet. We start taking advantage in the middle and we might run up some big scores on teams.

Exciting to be 3-0 with room to grow.

Was pleasing to hear Bartel say yesterday that there is something very sustainable about the way we are playing. Good balance in the squad executing a clear plan. It’s not just a case of a young team playing above themselves and ambushing a few sides at the start of the season.

I would give us about a 6/10 the last two weeks and that is not being cocky.

Against Port.. Andrews, Hodge, Lyons, Basti, Cameron, Witho, Bailey (Errmaagard), Big O (bar the mark), Bezz, Rayner, Matho where all below their best. If even half of those guys had a better night, you might be looking at something similar to the WC game.

We need to cash in while we are in form and have some momentum, lets face it we're not going through the season undefeated so there will be down games and down stretches particularly with a large percentage of youngish players in our seniors. Bank as many early wins as possible.

Shhhhh *looks nervously over at the Lid Off thread*

Would be interesting to know what crowd is expected for the Pies game. There was a FB post after the Port game from the club saying something like "ready for a sellout", surely not? School end grandstand above verandah maybe needs to be opened?

I was talking to the club yesterday to organise guest passes and they said it's tracking well above expectations in all areas... GA sold out and demand for reserved seats, corporate and guest passes all very, very high.

Just need the weather to cooperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back