Lions Injury List
PlayerInjuryUpdate
Mitch HingeHamstring3-4 weeks
Tom CutlerFoot3-4 weeks
Eric HipwoodKneeTest
Hugh McCluggageHamstringTest
Brandon StarcevichQuad1 week
*Last updated Tuesday, 16 July 2019
Ah well, que sera sera, we'll have to satisfy ourselves with the 2 1st round picks for Cuts at the draft table.

Setback for Cuts? Might have played his last game for us

Lions Injury List
PlayerInjuryUpdate
Tom CutlerFoot3-4 weeks
Eric HipwoodKneeTest
It's ballooning already. Permaban luthor

How good is it to have the shortest injury list in the AFL?

According to that, Mitch Hinge would be our only listed player definitely not available this week.

Thank you Footy Injury Gods..............now keeping my fingers and toes crossed:footy:

Collingwood have 17 out - almost a full team. I think it was Gold Coast, saints and norths
I knew I saw jason pm running out on the Gabba after our lost home game.

View attachment 710514

Love these inages
They don’t need the editing for Luke hodge

Has already been posted in the thread for M Robbo but he and Payne have extended until 2021:

Putting aside the Robbo chat for his own thread I'm very very happy Payne has been extended as I've really liked what I've seen from him in the NEAFL.

Has already been posted in the thread for M Robbo but he and Payne have extended until 2021:

Putting aside the Robbo chat for his own thread I'm very very happy Payne has been extended as I've really liked what I've seen from him in the NEAFL.

I think Payne is very much part of the Lions plan going forward. He is the physical model of a modern tall defender and he can play with some footy sense that will only get better. He is still young enough to have lots to learn and after 2018 was mostly written off by injury I think we are only now getting glimpses of his potential.

The idea of Payne taking the gorilla, Dizzy taking the second tall and Andrews intercepting everything sounds a whole lot of good! Adams will then swig forward and back hurting people. You can't go wrong!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The quotes from Fagan in the Robbo re-signing article sums up why Cuts is out of favour

Coach Chris Fagan says Robinson always possessed the attributes of the modern winger, all it took was a bit of education on how to play the role.

“Wingers are very much involved in stoppages these days so you need your wingers to be tough, he is a guy who was a natural inside player,’’ Fagan said.

“The other thing you want your wingers to be able to do is to run back and help defend, he is a brave player and his willingness to fly in the air in front of the forward is important for us.

“And he is working off his opponent and going forward and kicking goals.

The quotes from Fagan in the Robbo re-signing article sums up why Cuts is out of favour

Coach Chris Fagan says Robinson always possessed the attributes of the modern winger, all it took was a bit of education on how to play the role.

“Wingers are very much involved in stoppages these days so you need your wingers to be tough, he is a guy who was a natural inside player,’’ Fagan said.

“The other thing you want your wingers to be able to do is to run back and help defend, he is a brave player and his willingness to fly in the air in front of the forward is important for us.

“And he is working off his opponent and going forward and kicking goals.

These were my thoughts after listening to Jarrod Berry in the Roar Deal Podcast today as well!

Another interesting bit of statistical analysis that shows where the Lions are performing particularly well this season.

Another interesting bit of statistical analysis that shows where the Lions are performing particularly well this season.

Shows how good Rich and Neale have been this season

Execlemt article. Thank s for posting it.

We most certainly be have elites that are consistent with us being in the early stage of our premiership window.

Few good years coming our way.

We most certainly be have elites that are consistent with us being in the early stage of our premiership window.

Few good years coming our way.

Total hypothetical.

There was that discussion about whether to go for the third or fourth flag and the acknowledgement that doing so would lead to pain afterwards.

If we ended up in such a position again would you support the going for the immediate extended glory or the avoidance of the pain ... or do we know enough now to somehow do the first and avoid the latter?

Total hypothetical.

There was that discussion about whether to go for the third or fourth flag and the acknowledgement that doing so would lead to pain afterwards.

If we ended up in such a position again would you support the going for the immediate extended glory or the avoidance of the pain ... or do we know enough now to somehow do the first and avoid the latter?
Would like to think that with the admin team in place and experience previously (painfully) gained we would still look to maximise flag opportunities but also with an eye on the future. Hard balancing act though.

Total hypothetical.

Tough question.

I don't believe clubs can avoid pain. The draft and free agency system is designed specifically to make sure all teams get a moment of glory so that all fans remain loyal to their clubs and keep pumping money into the game.

Having said that I think our experience of going for the 4th came at a high a cost and left us to low. Low draft picks, dissatisfaction with younger players at not getting games, and off field seemingly faltering. But.. our bottom out was exaggerated by the suns and GWS and an apparent lack of succession planning.

I'm firmly in the camp of premiership teams are based on a foundation from the draft with shrewd trading in to support and fill gaps. If you get your drafting right you will get free agents coming to your club as players want to win during their career. They do their time loyally, then go for cash and/or chance at a flag.

I don't want to be a permanent finals team that never wins a flag, I'd prefer to have worse years (even wooden spoon years) and get to draft talent, then have the excitement of this year and what I believe is to come.

Interesting to watch hawthorn and how they are trying to speed the rebuild by getting rid of their older players. Also the ability to trade future picks will change things as well - I can see clubs trading draft picks in years 1 and 4 to get double first round picks in years 2 and 3, and that will definitely impact rebuilds and possibly make them faster.

So - go for the fourth but have a strategy already in place, trade to collect a bunch of high draft picks over a few years and bear the down years well by rewatching the four premiership victories.

Having said go for the 4th -

Neale wants to win multiple Brownlows, as evidenced by him employing a mentor to 'go to the next level'. He chose us because he believed this bunch of players would afford him that opportunity because they were about to start winning. And when making his decision he would have looked closely at out youth - hipwood, Andrews, Mc luggage, Rayner, berry etc. You can't trade in enough talent, you have to take a punt on the potential of drafted talented kids coming good. So we need to drop down the ladder to get access to them.

The obvious critical components also needed are an ability to pick great kids, judicious selection of traded in players to support them, ability to develop talent and creating a club environment that keeps players loyal and keen.

Which are all very difficult in their own way, and to my mind the things that can't be sacrificed in an attempt at a fourth run at the flag.

I have no doubt that there are other quality free agents asking about coming to the lions at the end of this year.

Tough question.

I don't believe clubs can avoid pain. The draft and free agency system is designed specifically to make sure all teams get a moment of glory so that all fans remain loyal to their clubs and keep pumping money into the game.

Having said that I think our experience of going for the 4th came at a high a cost and left us to low. Low draft picks, dissatisfaction with younger players at not getting games, and off field seemingly faltering. But.. our bottom out was exaggerated by the suns and GWS and an apparent lack of succession planning.

I'm firmly in the camp of premiership teams are based on a foundation from the draft with shrewd trading in to support and fill gaps. If you get your drafting right you will get free agents coming to your club as players want to win during their career. They do their time loyally, then go for cash and/or chance at a flag.

I don't want to be a permanent finals team that never wins a flag, I'd prefer to have worse years (even wooden spoon years) and get to draft talent, then have the excitement of this year and what I believe is to come.

Interesting to watch hawthorn and how they are trying to speed the rebuild by getting rid of their older players. Also the ability to trade future picks will change things as well - I can see clubs trading draft picks in years 1 and 4 to get double first round picks in years 2 and 3, and that will definitely impact rebuilds and possibly make them faster.

So - go for the fourth but have a strategy already in place, trade to collect a bunch of high draft picks over a few years and bear the down years well by rewatching the four premiership victories.
Couldn't agree more with this post Gadz, I'd much prefer a 3peat or 2-4 flags over 6-7 years then a steep drop off for 4-5 years than being up in and around the 8 for 15 years and reach multiple prelims and win 1 flag and lose 2-3 GFs.

Having a steep drop off for 10+ years like we have had is a bit much though.

Setback for Cuts? Might have played his last game for us

Lions Injury List
PlayerInjuryUpdate
Tom CutlerFoot3-4 weeks
Eric HipwoodKneeTest
Parked it for the rest of the season.

Won’t disrupt the NEAFL team, and can formally request a trade at end of season.

Doesn’t risk any further injury, which his new club will be happy about.

Which Vic clubs need outside run? Melbourne and St Kilda. Any other potential suitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back