Lions Drafting Discussion 2010 (no trade talk) #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

From Quigley's mock:

Quigley said:
Patrick Karnezis
DOB 23/4/92 Ht 191 Wt 77

I have to admit I only have Karnezis in here because I am worried I am missing something. Personally I don’t really rate him and fail to see what all the fuss is about. He is a forward who struggles to get off the ground when he jumps and is really pretty slow. He is pretty good overhead but relies on a far too much on his height which is going to be pretty average even for a HFF at AFL level. In the AFL there are going to be plenty of half backs who are as tall as he is and much much more athletic. One of the things he does very well is time his arrival at the ball. This is something which might work in the AFL. He reads the ball very well in the air and holds up so he arrives at the ball giving his defender very little chance of spoiling the ball. With the ball on the ground he is good and has very clean hands. He is pretty mobile and seems to cover the ground well. Again though I would not say he is elite in either of those areas and I believe that an AFL defender would handle him comfortably.

He is pretty lean and I don’t think he is likely to be a big guy but he has reasonable strength for his size at the moment and you would expect to be able to maintain his relative strength. He is an accurate kick for goal although his style is a little unusual with him seeming to kick a little close to his body and under it slightly. With that said he gets pretty good distance and is fairly accurate so I don’t see any real need to change at the moment. Around the ground he plays on the outside well and gets to space as well as anyone going around. He comes from a soccer background and so has grown up playing a game that’s all about finding space to receive the ball. He has excellent spacial awareness and knows where the players are around him. His kicking is solid and he delivers into 50 pretty well. He started the year very well but ran down as the year progressed and did not finish the year at all well with him supposedly carrying in illness over the last month of the season.

Overall I would not be picking Karnezis where others have him going but I am willing to concede that there could be more to him than I am seeing. To me he looks like a HFF who will struggle to bring his game to the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selection update

1. David Swallow
2. Harley Bennell
3. Sam Day
4. Andrew Gaff
5. Jared Polec
6. Reece Conca
7. Josh Caddy
8. Dyson Heppell
9. Dion Prestia
10. Daniel Gorringe