Lions Drafting Discussion 2010 (no trade talk) #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I was tossing up whether to keep this guy quiet and for him to be my smokey but what the hell have a look at this highlights package. I am well and truly sold on him and would love to pick him up as our next small forward. He is 19 and he has only been at Perth for this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJNS0alXb-k

he looks like a little ripper...just what we need

I cant say i am a draft expert but i'm not a fan of Heppell, i dont think he fits our needs, i think one of Gaff(if not taken by WC), Polec or Altey at 5, and at least 1 KPP and 1 x-factor/small forward is needed with the other picks.

why? How many tall midfielders/back flankers with great decision making skills with a booming left foot kick do we have?

Atm I would say that our midfield and movement from the back half is struggling big time...Heppell can help out in both areas.

With that said I would be happy with either gaff, polec or Caddy...Atley however I don't want...the kids can't kick and will be a turn over king

why? How many tall midfielders/back flankers with great decision making skills with a booming left foot kick do we have?

Atm I would say that our midfield and movement from the back half is struggling big time...Heppell can help out in both areas.

With that said I would be happy with either gaff, polec or Caddy...Atley however I don't want...the kids can't kick and will be a turn over king

I tend to agree with Webby.

To my very uneducated eyes, while Heppell may have a booming kick he doesn't seem to kick to advantage an awful lot.

I think Polec is a better fit for the Lions' needs (in ~3 years).

My current preference would be:

5) Outside mid (Polec)
25) Inside / outside mid (Green!!! / Prestia / Parker / Fasolo)
Compo) KPF (Darling (yeah right) / Mitchell / Brown / Steinberg)
29*) KPD (Bell / Tape / Litherland)
33*) Combo mid (Prestia / Parker / Fasolo / Isaac Smith)
65*) Small fwd (love the look of your "find" Quigley!)

R1) Ruck
R2 Small Fwd
R3) Late blooming KPD

*Assuming North and the Lions use a compo pick.

after watching Polec play in the SANFL, I think Smith will be the better SA midfielder...I would be worried that picking Polec ahead of smith (and heppell, atley, caddy) could come back to haunt us. Polec gets knock off the ball heaps and gets easily pressured in making rushed disposals/turnovers.

I would rather caddy if we pass on heppell.

Also, I think heppell kicks to advantage very well for what I saw... as he always kicks under composue

after watching Polec play in the SANFL, I think Smith will be the better SA midfielder...I would be worried that picking Polec ahead of smith (and heppell, atley, caddy) could come back to haunt us. Polec gets knock off the ball heaps and gets easily pressured in making rushed disposals/turnovers.

I would rather caddy if we pass on heppell.

Also, I think heppell kicks to advantage very well for what I saw... as he always kicks under composue

Agree Polec vs Smith.

In fact, and I know this won't be the popular view, Smith (Brodie) would be my pick 5, assuming Swallow and Day go to GC as expected.
Yes, even over Bennell, if he was available.

5.Dyson Heppell-Please dont mess it up-Will Replace Black
25.Isaac Smith-We need this kid to replace power when he retires
compo Pick-Josh Green-So Banfield can play up the ground to replace
Sherman
29.Luke mitchell-To replace Fev if he decides to go home
33.Blayne Wilson-So Adcock can play midfield
67.Claye Beams-Will replace rischa

Yeah i'm hoping for something like.

Pick 5 - Caddy/Heppell/Polec
Pick 25 - Green/Harper/Lamb
Compo pick - Karnezis/Darling/Lester/Cook
Pick 28 - Cripps/Fasolo/Jacobs
Pick 32 - Butcher/Andreoli/Litherland
Pick 65 - Uysal/Eades

We only have 5 list spots Axel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As in who i think the best players are for us in the top 35?

As in...

1. Who you (acting on behalf of the Lions) most want out of all the players.
2. Who you 2nd most want...

and so on.

A quick question regarding zone selections out of curiosity.

Say a player wants to be picked up by the Lions via zone selection, but the Suns want to take him, can the player refuse? Or is it the same with the draft, that once you nominate, you're fair game?

Yep. If Gaff is taken at 4 and Lamb before 25.

1. Green - We need more players who take the game on and have speed to burn. Should be available at pick 25 and might even end up the best player we take in this years draft.

2. Heppell/Polec - I'm not really fussed on who we take at five if it's one of these guys. They both provide a quality youngest on areas where don't have much depth. We don't really have many outside mids and Polec definitely fits into that category. He's pretty quick and a great kick while Heppell is a great decision marker and can play in many roles.

3. Harper - Small forward who is very talented. We don't have many small forwards and with Prouds delisting i can see us taking him. Shifter has us taking him with our second round pick so i can only dream.

4. Karnezis - With Hendo gone and Brown and Fev nearing the end i'd take a gamble on this kid. Tall forward who is great overhead. Sets up so many goal assists while kicking a few himself. Could become a very damaging third tall.

5. Guthrie - Bit of a smokey here but i think he can become a really good player. He's a medium defender who does a great job in shutting down an opponent while also having the ability to go forward and kick goals. He's a great mark and kick.

First. ;)

Johno Brown style forwards don't grow on trees. He didn't back up his great year he did last year (could have had an injury that i don't know about) but he still played decently. Presented well and did end up having good matches towards the end of the year. Whoever takes him will be very happy. I might even take him at five if the Lions want to take a risk.

Yep. If Gaff is taken at 4 and Lamb before 25.

1. Green - We need more players who take the game on and have speed to burn. Should be available at pick 25 and might even end up the best player we take in this years draft.

2. Heppell/Polec - I'm not really fussed on who we take at five if it's one of these guys. They both provide a quality youngest on areas where don't have much depth. We don't really have many outside mids and Polec definitely fits into that category. He's pretty quick and a great kick while Heppell is a great decision marker and can play in many roles.

3. Harper - Small forward who is very talented. We don't have many small forwards and with Prouds delisting i can see us taking him. Shifter has us taking him with our second round pick so i can only dream.

4. Karnezis - With Hendo gone and Brown and Fev nearing the end i'd take a gamble on this kid. Tall forward who is great overhead. Sets up so many goal assists while kicking a few himself. Could become a very damaging third tall.

5. Guthrie - Bit of a smokey here but i think he can become a really good player. He's a medium defender who does a great job in shutting down an opponent while also having the ability to go forward and kick goals. He's a great mark and kick.

Is this the answer to my question Axel? If so, there has been a misunderstanding.

I think Grim meant a rating system like;
1. Swallow (1st most wanted)
2. Day (2nd most wanted)
3. Benell
4. Gaff etc.

for who you'd choose for the Lions regardless of draft order.

First.

Johno Brown style forwards don't grow on trees. He didn't back up his great year he did last year (could have had an injury that i don't know about) but he still played decently. Presented well and did end up having good matches towards the end of the year. Whoever takes him will be very happy. I might even take him at five if the Lions want to take a risk.

Cheers Axel. I'm very interested to see where he ends up, could end up anywhere in the first round (apart from 1-3) really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back