List Mgmt. List Management 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is a genuine chance that we don't win a flag for another 5+ years. Not to say we can't or won't contend - but being in the discussion doesn't guarantee anything.

Probably the biggest piece of the puzzle we're missing is maturity and experience in a successful side. You look at what Collingwood are doing at the moment, it's off the back of leadership and valuable contributions from guys like Pendles, Sidebum and Elliott. When the heat is on, we don't have those mature heads to steady the ship on-field and say "right, this is the play". You look at that coast-to-coast goal that Collingwood scored to sink Essendon. Pendles was interviewed afterwards and revealed that he knew most sides would expect a long kick up the corridor, so he told Moore to break left or right if he saw some space, knowing that Wright wouldn't be able to keep up with Moore on the break. You know what Carlton does in that situation - Doc, Weiters or Newman launches a barrel up the guts and we hope that TDK flies and clunks a massive mark.

Now maybe we can add a player or two to assist with that, or maybe we can get a big collective push from our talented players to get us to the top in the next couple of years - but it is equally possible that we're just "thereabouts" for another 4-5 years, making finals, winning some, but ultimately bowing out in the first couple of weeks of September. And it might then be the kids that we draft over the next few years - the ones who get the opportunity to learn in an environment where finals are a minimum expectation, from guys who have played in big finals for a few years - who get us to the next flag, while someone like Cripps might be battling for fitness and missing out.
There's never a guarantee that you win one, of course you need some luck, but we should be contending well before 5 more years.
Our list is good enough to contend. If any other team had had our injuries this year, they wouldn't be top 4.

That's not to say we're perfect, or don't need to improve. But you use Collingwood as an example, if we had had their luck this year, we'd be 2nd.

Imo our balance is wrong. Then on top of that we won't really be bringing in many high quality picks and free agents as we will be giving that money to Charlie, McKay and TDK next year.

Our hands are somewhat tied for the next few years and we unfortunately have players that pick and choose when they feel like playing.

Id be beyond surprised if we move much further forward unless we make some big decisions and release some players that many fans wouldn't approve of
Who?

There's no need for me to call out players. But I see our balance wrong and don't think we will get the growth many just expect from a few players, plus our hands are tied for the foreseeable few years with large contracts to come
I'm interested in who you think we could move on that fans wouldn't approve of, that would allow us to move forward?
I think we're limited to being able to make big moves in the next couple of years, but I don't think that's a huge issue.
We've got enough top end talent.
We need to draft astutely.

There's never a guarantee that you win one, of course you need some luck, but we should be contending well before 5 more years.
Our list is good enough to contend. If any other team had had our injuries this year, they wouldn't be top 4.

That's not to say we're perfect, or don't need to improve. But you use Collingwood as an example, if we had had their luck this year, we'd be 2nd.

That's my point with Collingwood though - I don't think their run is luck. Or if there is some luck, they've also played the game in a way that allowed luck to be a factor, and then capitalised through smart, aggressive, winning football.

My main point though, is that I can see a scenario where it's the next wave that get success, because the current crop of players are probably going to fail in finals for a while before the mentality that finals football is still just football really cements itself. We'll shit the bed in finals a few times because that's a learning experience we're probably gonna have to go through.

Maybe we should make a play for Grundy. Wouldn't surprise if the Pies tried to offload his mega contract...and may pay some of his salary for a couple of years.

No thanks.

Stress fracture in his ankle.

Out for the rest of the season.

That's my point with Collingwood though - I don't think their run is luck. Or if there is some luck, they've also played the game in a way that allowed luck to be a factor, and then capitalised through smart, aggressive, winning football.
Jack's snap goes slightly to the left, or the umps pay a blatant free kick to Walsh, and Collingwood's streak ends at 1 win.
They were playing the type of footy where they were able to get over the Suns by less than a kick (with a huge hand from the umps), North by 7 points, Crows by 5.
Their 'smart, aggressive, winning football' is only just getting them over the line, mainly against pretty poor opposition.
If the Dees kicked to an average standard in the first half, Pies wouldn't have been close.
I don't think that is an overly sustainable method.
And luck is absolutely a huge factor in their success so far.

Jack's snap goes slightly to the left, or the umps pay a blatant free kick to Walsh, and Collingwood's streak ends at 1 win.
They were playing the type of footy where they were able to get over the Suns by less than a kick (with a huge hand from the umps), North by 7 points, Crows by 5.
Their 'smart, aggressive, winning football' is only just getting them over the line, mainly against pretty poor opposition.
If the Dees kicked to an average standard in the first half, Pies wouldn't have been close.
I don't think that is an overly sustainable method.
And luck is absolutely a huge factor in their success so far.

You're digressing, though. One thing that they have, and we lack, which has absolutely assisted them in winning these close games, is a number of senior blokes with good football brains who have been there at the pointy end and Do Not Panic when the game is on the line. Without that, I can see us making up the numbers in September for a few years while our talented group of players adjust and mature.

Collingwood play to win. Carlton - since about halftime of the Swans game - have been playing to not lose.

The fearless positive approach creates momentum and makes its own luck. Conversely, fear and negativity create a feedback loop that's hard to break. We've had ample opportunity but our leaders have consistently let us down.

Last edited:
I really like the idea of a Sholl for Stocker straight swap.

Sholl is a beautiful kick and decision maker, probably has a few things in his game to fix, but that is a really good start for me, plus being nominated for the Rising Star twice.

Sadly for him I don't think Stocker's body will be able to hold up to play a full season of footy, which is probably the main reason why we are rumoured to be moving him on.

I really like the idea of a Sholl for Stocker straight swap.

Sholl is a beautiful kick and decision maker, probably has a few things in his game to fix, but that is a really good start for me, plus being nominated for the Rising Star twice.

Sadly for him I don't think Stocker's body will be able to hold up to play a full season of footy, which is probably the main reason why we are rumoured to be moving him on.
No thanks. Why do we need to give up a player who hasn't had a fair crack at it yet when a 3rd round pick will do just fine?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No thanks. Why do we need to give up a player who hasn't had a fair crack at it yet when a 3rd round pick will do just fine?

Just my opinion. Not sure we would get a 3rd round pick for Stocker anyway at this point in time.

As I said, I think there are doubts about Stocker and his physical durability which is the only reason why we would let him go.

No thanks.

Stress fracture in his ankle.

Out for the rest of the season.

Grundy, like Kruezer, played a lot of footy at a young age in the ruck. Wouldn't surprise me if he struggles to get on the park for the rest of his career. Last thing we need is a big chunk of salary cap on the injury list.

You're digressing, though. One thing that they have, and we lack, which has absolutely assisted them in winning these close games, is a number of senior blokes with good football brains who have been there at the pointy end and Do Not Panic when the game is on the line. Without that, I can see us making up the numbers in September for a few years while our talented group of players adjust and mature.
Pendles is worth his weight in gold- he’s not what he use to be - but doesn’t panic, takes control & hits targets - provides the side a level of calm and stability

I’d say we lose up to 6 more players this year and perhaps another 3/4 with ?.

Setters
Dow
Parks
Cunners ?
Martin ?
McDonald
Curnow E
Fogarty
Newnes
Stocker ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep.

Players to trade or shop around
Dow, Setterfield, Martin

Delist
McDonald, S. Durdin, Hayes, Parks, E. Curnow (retired), Williamson (retired), Fogarty (rookie?), Newnes, Cunningham (redraft as rookie),

So potentially quarter of the list can be moved on for currency or let go in my opinion. Obviously a bit drastic but those player offer nothing.

Pendles is worth his weight in gold- he’s not what he use to be - but doesn’t panic, takes control & hits targets - provides the side a level of calm and stability
That little dummy he sold on Friday night and laced out Johnson (that shit was elite). Need more of that in our team. Our delivery inside 50 is abysmal.

I'd love to know what our plans are for Stocker & Kemp.

We have given Stocker 0 midfield minutes at both levels, and have thrown Kemp around like no tomorrow.

Weirdly, Kemp has looked way better at AFL level than VFL, yet we only seem to play him out of total necessity.

Can't help but feel if these two were at somewhere like Geelong, they'd be seamlessly slotting into their natural roles at senior level by now, or at least looking like a shoe in to do so in 2023.

Just my opinion. Not sure we would get a 3rd round pick for Stocker anyway at this point in time.

As I said, I think there are doubts about Stocker and his physical durability which is the only reason why we would let him go.
Stocker has a had a small rough trott of injuries-he will be fine. More worried about them not giving him a good mid field run - that should be all preseason & a block of VFL games.
Cunners should have been taken behind the barn by now if we were scared of injuries - he gets the chop well before stocker.

I’d say we lose up to 6 more players this year and perhaps another 3/4 with ?.

Setters
Dow
Parks
Cunners ?
Martin ?
McDonald
Curnow E
Fogarty
Newnes
Stocker ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree with you 6 maybe 8 players have to be delisted, can’t carry them any longer.
We‘ll probably finish with P9 or10, so a quality will there about, last 2 drafts we’ve traded out our top 10 Picks ( 6 & 8), so let’s see how Austin goes, I’m hoping for my favorite ,Isaac Keeler to be in the vicinity or one of Busslinger or Hayes.

Last edited:
Some interesting opinions being shared. Let me add some fuel to the fire.

Would we entertain Gaff, our isacc smith pick up?
Stevenson, from north could be an anything or the worst player ever.

Cbs No GIF by HULU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back