List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Good call.
Little bro also looks ok.
Maybe a trade of Williams and McCollum?

Williams was a potential top 3 pick at one stage, but Covid and injuries curtailed him. We couldn't get him fit for 2 years, then in his breakout 2023 he was excellent. Gone backwards this year, bit up and down. Phillipou seems to have dropped off too, so similarities in both. Both clubs may think they can get the best out of a swap of the two?
Throw in McCollum as a sweetener, as Tassie will come calling down the track. His return recently, also from injury, has seen a couple of posters here say he has shown glimpses of promise. Again, if Saints think they can hew a diamond from what we think is a lump of coal, it could tempt them. And being in Malbun is closer to Tassie than Adduhlayed, so homesickness would be less of an issue (he could think of it as a suburb of Launceston).

No harm in floating it.
Ridiculous trade suggestions starting early this year, awesome...

Good call.

Williams was a potential top 3 pick at one stage, but Covid and injuries curtailed him. We couldn't get him fit for 2 years, then in his breakout 2023 he was excellent. Gone backwards this year, bit up and down. Phillipou seems to have dropped off too, so similarities in both. Both clubs may think they can get the best out of a swap of the two?
Throw in McCollum as a sweetener, as Tassie will come calling down the track. His return recently, also from injury, has seen a couple of posters here say he has shown glimpses of promise. Again, if Saints think they can hew a diamond from what we think is a lump of coal, it could tempt them. And being in Malbun is closer to Tassie than Adduhlayed, so homesickness would be less of an issue (he could think of it as a suburb of Launceston).

No harm in floating it.
The 'harm in floating it' is that once St Kilda's list manager was done laughing he'd hang up the phone and block our number.

Good call.

No harm in floating it.
Needs more Matt Arnot and Todd Elton

Just realised that Rioli turns 30 next year. Pile on the fact he finds it hard to get on the park.

Reckon the best small forward possible in the trade period needs to be our top priority.

Just realised that Rioli turns 30 next year. Pile on the fact he finds it hard to get on the park.

Reckon the best small forward possible in the trade period needs to be our top priority.
We have probably already seen the best of him lol

I think we need to add 3rd tall intercept marking defender to our list of needs to be honest.

esava just doesnt fit with alir and zerk. hes not savvy enough to play this role.

mccallum is a bust. we don't know about Kyle Marshall but hes either delist or a long project and hes not this type anyway.

Walsh looks good but hes more a key pillar than the 3rd type we need to pair with alir and zerk.

we just don't have that player on our list at all.

good thing is that plenty of teams pull these players out from mid draft onwards.

I think we need to add 3rd tall intercept marking defender to our list of needs to be honest.

esava just doesnt fit with alir and zerk. hes not savvy enough to play this role.

mccallum is a bust. we don't know about Kyle Marshall but hes either delist or a long project and hes not this type anyway.

Walsh looks good but hes more a key pillar than the 3rd type we need to pair with alir and zerk.

we just don't have that player on our list at all.

good thing is that plenty of teams pull these players out from mid draft onwards.
We already have this player. It's the role Bergman should be playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We already have this player. It's the role Bergman should be playing.

We’ve moved him to halfback now haven’t we? Seems like he’s been back there the last few weeks.

He can certainly play that role but he’s closer to a lockdown defender than an intercept marker even though he can take those marks.

He’s so versatile we probably want the ability to play him wherever we want to rather than locked in as a 3rd tall.

We’ve moved him to halfback now haven’t we? Seems like he’s been back there the last few weeks.

He can certainly play that role but he’s closer to a lockdown defender than an intercept marker even though he can take those marks.

He’s so versatile we probably want the ability to play him wherever we want to rather than locked in as a 3rd tall.
'Versatile' players never achieve anything. Put him in a position and allow him to grow into the role, or watch him continue to stagnate like he has this year.

'Versatile' players never achieve anything. Put him in a position and allow him to grow into the role, or watch him continue to stagnate like he has this year.

I mean versatile as in we can choose the match up in defence as well.. I don’t want him to be our only 3rd key defender option and we can’t do anything cause we have zero other options.

Last edited:
Ya Bergs best position is clearly in defence atm. A move to the wing down the track may still be a possibility when he matures and rounds his game but his weapons atm serve him best down back.

I think Sinn will be a serviceable player for us in the future if he can stay on the park. My worry is that Carlton can keep Fanta Pants on the park but we couldn't get him on the park for 2 years.
Fanta played the last three games last season and should have picked in our losing finals team but by then the Coaches had marked his card.

Fanta played the last three games last season and should have picked in our losing finals team but by then the Coaches had marked his card.
And to be honest, other than last week, Fantasia hasn’t really “played”. He also has similar stats as McEntee.

so I think

small forward / medium forward
small lockdown defender who can win the ground balls
3rd intercepting defender
genuine mids (strong group in our 22 but pretty bare behind them in sanfl)

are the biggest list needs for us
Agreed.

Challenge is how we find this with no trade or draft capital.

It’s why I think we need to throw a lot of money at Ainsworth to get him to consider coming to Port and nab Perryman to give us midfield depth and quality. They cost nothing bar cap space.

Konstanty, Motlop, Rosas, Johnstone, all running around the twos and may be able to be pryed loose.

In terms of intercepting 3rd tall defender, wonder if we could trial a forward back there? Someone like Tim Membrey, not saying him, but that kind of player, see if we can get a forward on the cheap or as a DFA and see if we can switch them back. Otherwise I’m with Schulz, use Bergman.

Agreed.

Challenge is how we find this with no trade or draft capital.

It’s why I think we need to throw a lot of money at Ainsworth to get him to consider coming to Port and nab Perryman to give us midfield depth and quality. They cost nothing bar cap space.

Konstanty, Motlop, Rosas, Johnstone, all running around the twos and may be able to be pryed loose.

In terms of intercepting 3rd tall defender, wonder if we could trial a forward back there? Someone like Tim Membrey, not saying him, but that kind of player, see if we can get a forward on the cheap or as a DFA and see if we can switch them back. Otherwise I’m with Schulz, use Bergman.

I think we have to play Bergman back yes, should still be finding a 3rd tall intercept type in the draft soon. We’ve got a bunch of talls - Alir zerk esava Walsh , I just don’t think any 3 of them work or will work. We need a tall that can work with 2 of those players , 2 key pillars. They probably need to be mobile , decent user and intercepting.

I’m not saying we should desperately reach for one, but yeah. A 40 man list and our best candidates for what I described are Bergman , (whose also probably our best defender for smalls and mediums like Cameron / Rohan / Heeney) and jones. That’s not a lot.

All the guys were missing are types that are regularly found mid to late draft anyway. We just need to prioritise them and cut deadwood so we can turn over those 35-40 on our list types and replace them with prospects anyway.

Out:
Boak, Dixon, McEnzie (all retired).
Clurey, Wiliams, McEntee, McCollum, Narkle (all traded/delisted).
Out 8.

In:
Small goalscoring forwards x 2 (one to be Benny B)
Fast midfielders x 2
Strong marking KPF
Project ruck
Rome + Louie
In 8.

The settling down of Bergman and Jones into reliable, intercepting and rebounding defenders is key IMO. Just let Bergman find his range there. No more mucking around on the wing.

As for Jones, I don’t know what went wrong in the first half of this year, but he has looked much better these past two weeks. He needs to mature as a footballer quick smart. In he and Bergman, we have two athletically gifted mid defenders who give us a powerful look behind the ball if they don’t play like rabbits.

With Boak likely to retire at the end of this year, Lorenz and Jackson are our best bets to fight out the non-Burgoyne wing. Lorenz a bit more likely at this stage.

I absolutely agree with the calls for focusing on small forwards with X-factor and goal craft. Two of them please.

$800k for perryman seems excessive.

Isaac Cumming on much lower coin seems like a better investment.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back