List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

The settling down of Bergman and Jones into reliable, intercepting and rebounding defenders is key IMO. Just let Bergman find his range there. No more mucking around on the wing.

As for Jones, I don’t know what went wrong in the first half of this year, but he has looked much better these past two weeks. He needs to mature as a footballer quick smart. In he and Bergman, we have two athletically gifted mid defenders who give us a powerful look behind the ball if they don’t play like rabbits.

With Boak likely to retire at the end of this year, Lorenz and Jackson are our best bets to fight out the non-Burgoyne wing. Lorenz a bit more likely at this stage.

I absolutely agree with the calls for focusing on small forwards with X-factor and goal craft. Two of them please.

$800k for perryman seems excessive.

Isaac Cumming on much lower coin seems like a better investment.

The settling down of Bergman and Jones into reliable, intercepting and rebounding defenders is key IMO. Just let Bergman find his range there. No more mucking around on the wing.

As for Jones, I don’t know what went wrong in the first half of this year, but he has looked much better these past two weeks. He needs to mature as a footballer quick smart. In he and Bergman, we have two athletically gifted mid defenders who give us a powerful look behind the ball if they don’t play like rabbits.

With Boak likely to retire at the end of this year, Lorenz and Jackson are our best bets to fight out the non-Burgoyne wing. Lorenz a bit more likely at this stage.

I absolutely agree with the calls for focusing on small forwards with X-factor and goal craft. Two of them please.
Bergman and Jones have the real capability of holding down those types of athletic, 3rd tall, playing on the biggest medium forward and having a great impact.

It would also mean that Gold Pass Burton and Dylan Williams would be pretty much on the outer.

I'd just play Burton in a tall defender role personally. He's talented as all hell, just too soft and flaky playing unaccountable flanker roles. Give him a man to quell and his skill and talent will come to the fore.

I'm the opposite, always questioned him defensively, I'd try him as a half forward (he could do what Hot Toddy does for half the price!).

I think having a dip at Devon Robertson would be good business. We did have a chance to get him in the draft. He would make our midfield depth much greater

I'm the opposite, always questioned him defensively, I'd try him as a half forward (he could do what Hot Toddy does for half the price!).
If you think Ryan Burton is only on $400k a year you've lost all perspective on AFL player salaries. Your mate Jed is probably on $400k a year (or $80k per goal so far this season).

If you think Ryan Burton is only on $400k a year you've lost all perspective on AFL player salaries. Your mate Jed is probably on $400k a year (or $80k per goal so far this season).

I'm exaggerating obviously, although Burton's next contract won't be much more than $400k given his form. And there's absolutely no way Jed is on $400k per season.

I'm exaggerating obviously, although Burton's next contract won't be much more than $400k given his form. And there's absolutely no way Jed is on $400k per season.
Why wouldn't he be? Last time he got a contract extension he was considered a best 22 player in the minds of exactly three people (Ken Hinkley, you, and that Jumbo alt account you haven't banned yet for some reason), but one of those three people picks the team, so he'd be on best 22 player money. There wouldn't be too many best 22 players on less than $400k under the current CBA.

Why wouldn't he be? Last time he got a contract extension he was considered a best 22 player in the minds of exactly three people (Ken Hinkley, you, and that Jumbo alt account you haven't banned yet for some reason), but one of those three people picks the team, so he'd be on best 22 player money. There wouldn't be too many best 22 players on less than $400k under the current CBA.

I just looked up last year's figures and almost exactly half of AFL players make more than $400k and half make less than $400k. So given we started this year with a list of 42 he'd need to be in our top 21 paid players. Without any debate at all he'd be behind Rozee, Powell-Pepper, Burton, Marshall, Houston, Farrell, Butters, Boak, Finlayson, Soldo, Rioli, Wines, Clurey, Horne-Francis, Georgiades, Aliir, Dixon, Zerk-Thatcher, Ratugolea, Drew and Byrne-Jones - so that's 21 without doubt and there's quite a few others I'd have ahead of him if I had to guess the whole list.

I'd just play Burton in a tall defender role personally. He's talented as all hell, just too soft and flaky playing unaccountable flanker roles. Give him a man to quell and his skill and talent will come to the fore.
Old friend, I usually agree with you but I can't on this one.

One of the best boots in the competition, no doubt, but just lazy, slow and uninterested against his man.

There is a cry for goal kicking forwards which is good to hear but it would be nice to give Tommy A a bit of a run to see what he can do as we are more than likely going to overpay for a decent small forward in the off season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's amazing what you can accomplish when you win yourself the wooden spoon every year.
North’s should have had three number 1s… potentially 4

2021 - JHF - traded after a year
2022 - Cadman - traded before the draft
2023 - Reid - won a game they should have tanked
2024 - ?? - jury’s still out.

But sure, Sheezel and Wardlow are great compensation. (Bloody good players though)

North’s should have had three number 1s… potentially 4

2021 - JHF - traded after a year
2022 - Cadman - traded before the draft
2023 - Reid - won a game they should have tanked
2024 - ?? - jury’s still out.

But sure, Sheezel and Wardlow are great compensation. (Bloody good players though)
Sheezel, Wardlaw and McKercher still bloody good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back