List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

We overpaid for Rat last year because Hinkley saw him as ready to contribute right away and push us closer to a flag in the short term. Context matters.

Don’t start bringing important context and common sense into these forums. Port simply had to trade for Rat and Soldo, and did so in likely the only way it was possible. If port didn’t bring them in and Sweet was a flop or Aliir got injured, the season virtually became a right-off. I won’t be gaslit into knowing anything else.

Don’t start bringing important context and common sense into these forums. Port simply had to trade for Rat and Soldo, and did so in likely the only way it was possible. If port didn’t bring them in and Sweet was a flop or Aliir got injured, the season virtually became a right-off. I won’t be gaslit into knowing anything else.
People having a different opinion than you isn't 'gaslighting' you smug bellend.

Dan still has years left on his contract, so there’s no way the club trades him unless something significant is offered. Hinkley knows his job is on the line next year—do you really think he’d trade one of his best players for a few average draft picks? Not a chance. Either Dan is traded for picks that bring in top-tier talent to improve the team immediately, or he’s not traded at all.

We overpaid for Rat last year because Hinkley saw him as ready to contribute right away and push us closer to a flag in the short term. Context matters.
Exactly. Trade period has not finished yet a lot of bed wetting going on.

This trade period could get ugly for Port. Saints don't want Soldo anymore, Houston wanting to go back home is looking tough with Carlton and Collingwood's insulting offers and Houston preferable not wanting to go to NM and giving away a F1 for luko despite taking on his salary.

HUGE L here.
Probably best judge it at the end. Our list management team have been good overall. Houston will go to the club which results in the best deal for Port. If it doesn’t suit him bad luck. After all he wants to go back to Melbourne the city.

People having a different opinion than you isn't 'gaslighting' you smug bellend.
Your garbage about Clurey and Visintini being season-long viable replacements for CHB and ruck is gaslighting in an extreme form. You are trying to plant seeds of doubt about the merits of the trade by using these atrociously non-viable options to suggest that holding a single speculative draft pick was the better approach. It’s just complete and utter crap.

Your garbage about Clurey and Visintini being season-long viable replacements for CHB and ruck is gaslighting in an extreme form. You are trying to plant seeds of doubt about the merits of the trade by using these atrociously non-viable options to suggest that holding a single speculative draft pick was the better approach. It’s just complete and utter crap.
Soldo and Ratugolea aren't viable season long ruck and KPD's either. Soldo is average and injury prone and Ratugolea just quite simply isn't an AFL quality player.

Having a need doesn't justify spending good draft capital on shit players to fill it. If there's a team out there that desperately needs some depth at the small forward position, it would still be a bad trade for them to give us a future first for McEntee and Evans.

Getting depth players isn't hard. Could've gotten Lewis Young for probably a future third or something equally expendable, he's no worse than Ratugolea. Could've gotten Tom Campbell for free, he's just as capable of playing the backup ruck role until Visentini is ready as Soldo.

No other club in the league would've been dumb enough to spend a future first round pick in an apparent superdraft for a couple of SANFL depth talls, only to then consider trading out a dual All-Australian to get back into the same draft 12 months later. It's one of the worst displays of list management in AFL history.

Last edited:
Soldo and Ratugolea aren't viable season long ruck and KPD's either. Soldo is average and injury prone and Ratugolea just quite simply isn't an AFL quality player.

Having a need doesn't justify spending good draft capital on shit players to fill it. If there's a team out there that desperately needs some depth at the small forward position, it would still be a bad trade for them to give us a future first for McEntee and Evans.

Getting depth players isn't hard. Could've gotten Lewis Young for probably a future third or something equally expendable, he's no worse than Ratugolea. Could've gotten Tom Campbell for free, he's just as capable of playing the backup ruck role until Visentini is ready as Soldo.

No other club in the league would've been dumb enough to spend a future first round pick in an apparent superdraft for a couple of SANFL depth talls, only to then consider trading out a dual All-Australian to get back into the same draft 12 months later. It's one of the worst displays of list management in AFL history.
Only issue is soldo wasn’t brought in to play backup ruck. He was brought in as a first ruck and played well at that right up until he got injured. We were lucky we had sweet to come in and he took his chances. It’s a tough one because if sweet hurts himself it’s good to have a ready made soldo to come in.

I’ll side with the clubs list management on this one. Most other times I’ve been outraged I’ve been proven wrong (Polec, Wingard) - although do we win the 2020 prelim with them in the team instead of Burton limping around injured in a forward pocket?

Let’s just bookmark this one and revisit in ten years when the pick we handed over is in his prime.

I reckon you are harsh on Rat. I can recall a few excellent games both in defence and up forward. He’s no world beater but needing him was a symptom of the inability to develop talls of any variety.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This trade period could get ugly for Port. Saints don't want Soldo anymore, Houston wanting to go back home is looking tough with Carlton and Collingwood's insulting offers and Houston preferably not wanting to go to NM and giving away a F1 for luko despite taking on his salary.

HUGE L here.

They'll work it out.

Effectively if you look at it like recruiting Houston, Soldo, Lukousis, probably Richards , then Barrett, Burgoyne and Montgomery, thats a reasonable return. May also be an added gem with a late pick. Boring draft night for us , but so be it.

If our off season is just replacing Dixon with Luko, and keeping everyone else, it's not that bad.

But we do need a top small forward.
Rozee for mine. Push him fwd. We have enough mids.

Last edited:
Rozee for mine. Push him fwd. We have enough mids.
JHF and Rozee can split their time between mid and fwd 50. I think both players are capable of kicking 40+ goals and get 20+ touches a game. It still really comes down to coaching and being able to maximise their assets which Port have not been able to do.

This is what I said at the end of last year's trade period.

Sweet, Soldo, Zerk-Thatcher and Ratugolea were good structural trades and definite needs of the team. It will help a lot and having two of each is a good idea. It would've been nice to have better players coming in but you have to grab who is available.

We used a decent amount of draft capital and if we had only kept our future first rounder and got that haul, it would've been very impressive. Unfortunately, we overpaid and it might bite us on the bum and really looks like it will with the draft prospects around that area of the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back