List management and the end of the 2012 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

so you subscribe to the theory, that having lost mcphee, lower, roberton and broughton... that we are actually better than what we were 2 months ago? I really think we have a great coaching staff, but lets not kid ourselves, we have achieved nothing, and they as a coaching staff have achieved nothing... Being better than what we have ever been is fantastic, but for the majority of our existence we have been a joke, if we hadnt of improved we probably would have folded.

And im not blaming our past cockups on bond and lloyd. I blame them for:
a. inability to trade and gain value with our trades
b. their inability to manage a list in the last 5 years that has an semblance of a succession plan for Pav and mcpharlin (fingers crossed for today)
c. their seemingly inability to get value with later picks. Chris Mayne would be our only win in their reign (all clubs have this, but every club seems to have a late draft gem except us, neale and sutcliffe cant be included in this because they are only one year in. they may bothe be bollenhagen's).

You cant fathom my negativity, fair enough, im glass half empty. I cant fathom how you can be so happy with a team that has its two best players past 30 years of age with no succession plan and without a premiership to their name. I think we are definitely improving, but im not going to be satisfied until we win a premiership. I have serious reservations as to whether Chris Bond and Lloyd can manage a list towards a premiership, which at the end of the day, is the only thing that matters.

By the way, show me one "good Judge" who has predicted us to be top 4 next year. Every article I read has the following Hawthorn, Sydney, Westcoast, Adelaide and Collingwood in front of us

How many of those "good judges" predicted Adelaide as top 4 this year?

Exactly, how may of the same "good judges" predicted Sydney winning the flag in 2012. They won it after finishing sixth in 2011 after a 7th H&A ladder position and beating the previous years grand finalists in an away elimination final. Sound familiar?

Hopefully someone can answer this for me.

Moller is on a development rookie contract and is therefore considered outside of the playing list (44). Does that mean he can play or does he need to be elevated like any other normal rookie before he can play.

Hopefully someone can answer this for me.

Moller is on a development rookie contract and is therefore considered outside of the playing list (44). Does that mean he can play or does he need to be elevated like any other normal rookie before he can play.
I believe that Moller is treated like the other rookies. Will only get a game next year if Sandi/Griffin go down with and LTI.
FWIW I don't think we will be in a position at all to play him with 4 others in front of him.

Seems folks have forgotten we have a tall kid on our list who's played up forward and would probably have gone top 40 this year.

Moeller will probably be the same as zac clarke. His best position will be in the ruck. Converting rucks into forward very very rarely works, and usually just results ins said players confidence to end up shot, and everyone question why we were playing up forward in the first place

im not saying its not possible, and that people cant be wrong, just refuting the claim that many "good judges" had predicted us to be top four next year. Its bullshit, Nobody has predicted us to be top four except people on here.

The problem with Bondý´s list mangement is that with all these flankers we now have a massive excess of the same type of player. That means that a lot of talented flankers will be left rotting in the WAFL and losing motivation, whilst we plug our KPP gaps with guys like Kep. This will come to bite us in a few years when we start trading talented flankers for 4th round picks because we haven´t been able to give them any game time.

Bond never learns that good KPP´s always go for overs. You hardly ever get a bargain with them. Yet he continually thinks he can take one on the cheap in some delusion that they will always slip to our second rounder.

Broughton is a classic case. He goes for pick 36. Yet a hack KPP like Dawes goes for Pick 20.

Gold Coast and GWS know that good KPP´s go for overs and are stacking up on them and can trade them for a first rounder from desperate clubs like us in a few years.[/quote]
This isn't hard when you are gifted a million picks in the top 20 allowing you to prioritise and pick and choose at the same time. Look at what Collingwood did with 3 picks in a row

Moeller will probably be the same as zac clarke. His best position will be in the ruck. Converting rucks into forward very very rarely works, and usually just results ins said players confidence to end up shot, and everyone question why we were playing up forward in the first place

Or he could end up being like Justin Longmuir, a blue collar tall forward who halves the contests and feeds the small forwards, picks up the second or even best opposition KPD and pockets the occasional bag of 3 or 4 goals.

and yet you'd probably be ecstatic if we used our first pick on Dawes.
Eagles took Wellingham, we go Simpson. Know who I prefer.

Just what the?

My point was an already top side like Collingwood greatly improved their draft position with minimal loss to their best 22.

We were left in an either or choice on our apparent preferred early options, whereas the Pies got themselves into a cake and eat it too situation at the end of first round.

Just what the?

My point was an already top side like Collingwood greatly improved their draft position with minimal loss to their best 22.

We were left in an either or choice on our apparent preferred early options, whereas the Pies got themselves into a cake and eat it too situation at the end of first round.

We traded a player that was arguably not best 22 for a second round draft pick and the board went into meltdown, yet we had the best 3 picks of any finalist bar Collingwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just what the?

They lost 2 premiership players who had 5-10 years still to play, to clubs who paid overs to get them (seeing as both players wanted out). They gave up a lot to get 3 first round draft picks.

We traded a player that was arguably not best 22 for a second round draft pick and the board went into meltdown, yet we had the best 3 picks of any finalist bar Collingwood.

thats where the catch is though. I can not fathom that broughton would not have been best 22 last year when we have players such as ibbo, duffield and spurr running around in the backline. Broughton is much better than all of them. It still grinds my gears that we only got pick 37 for him. he is a better player than wellingham, and a better player than dawes, yet those two commanded much better draft picks.

They lost 2 premiership players who had 5-10 years still to play, to clubs who paid overs to get them (seeing as both players wanted out). They gave up a lot to get 3 first round draft picks.

The fact that they had the halo effect of being premiership players probably helps with the value they got. But Collingwood are consistently excellent in the trade period.

thats where the catch is though. I can not fathom that broughton would not have been best 22 last year when we have players such as ibbo, duffield and spurr running around in the backline. Broughton is much better than all of them. It still grinds my gears that we only got pick 37 for him. he is a better player than wellingham, and a better player than dawes, yet those two commanded much better draft picks.
That's it though isn't it.

Halfback players just don't pull the chicks (read: Picks), they're like bass players, nobody cares about them until they leave. :p

Yet if Broughton and Dawes were available at our first pick I have no doubt you'd be screaming bloody murder if we didn't pick Dawes over Broughton. Ibbo, Duffield and Spurr might all be replaced next year by the very players you complain about us drafting.

The fact is that in current drafts, pick 37 is a middle of second round pick. If you take out the compensation picks, it would have been pick 20.

Yet if Broughton and Dawes were available at our first pick I have no doubt you'd be screaming bloody murder if we didn't pick Dawes over Broughton. Ibbo, Duffield and Spurr might all be replaced next year by the very players you complain about us drafting.

The fact is that in current drafts, pick 37 is a middle of second round pick. If you take out the compensation picks, it would have been pick 20.

knowing how they would turn out, i would be begging for broughton. But offer me right now broughton or mason shaw, knowing what broughton is and not knowing what mason shaw will be, i would say go for shaw, because at some point we need aim for a key forward who may turn into something decent. If shaw were to fail, well to me , where we are right now with our list, it would have been a risk worth taking.

incidently, ports forwardline could look scary good in 4 years if butcher and shaw turn out as good as what some predict.

knowing how they would turn out, i would be begging for broughton. But offer me right now broughton or mason shaw, knowing what broughton is and not knowing what mason shaw will be, i would say go for shaw, because at some point we need aim for a key forward who may turn into something decent. If shaw were to fail, well to me , where we are right now with our list, it would have been a risk worth taking.

incidently, ports forwardline could look scary good in 4 years if butcher and shaw turn out as good as what some predict.

It will do them a fat lot of good with no-one to kick it to them.

It will do them a fat lot of good with no-one to kick it to them.

thats true. in relation to us though, i think our midfield depth was reasonably good this year without having to add to it extensively this draft, but the recruitment team disagreed so it is what it is. hopefully Duffy turns out a player and isnt delisted after 2 years

If I'm to believe what I have been hearing about Simpson being a top five talent if not for the worry a child might bring then our midfield has pick #3 (Hill), pick #4 (Morabito), pick #5 (Simpson) and Fyfe/Mundy/Barlow.

I believe a midfield that can win the ball and use it well will make a CHF and FF picked in the rookie draft look like superstars.

By the way, show me one "good Judge" who has predicted us to be top 4 next year. Every article I read has the following Hawthorn, Sydney, Westcoast, Adelaide and Collingwood in front of us

Well that's it then. We have no hope. May as well just not bother at all.
May as well just wait until 2013 draft until we can sack all the nobodies in our recruiting staff who know nothing and recruit some magic bullet forward.

That's it I am just going to watch the thugby.

thats true. in relation to us though, i think our midfield depth was reasonably good this year without having to add to it extensively this draft, but the recruitment team disagreed so it is what it is. hopefully Duffy turns out a player and isnt delisted after 2 years

You might want to revisit pretty well every game that Fyfe didn't play.

Also, GEEZ dude, stick to one story for a change! (lc) Either Mzungu, Pearce, Ibbotson, Duffield and Spurr aren't crabs and our midfield depth was fine this year or they are crabs and we need to replace them with better players!

Your all over the shop.

Edit - I forgot that you don't understand the hype about Lachie Neale and you think Morabito is a stupid footballer. Don't I look foolish!

If I'm to believe what I have been hearing about Simpson being a top five talent if not for the worry a child might bring then our midfield has pick #3 (Hill), pick #4 (Morabito), pick #5 (Simpson) and Fyfe/Mundy/Barlow.

I believe a midfield that can win the ball and use it well will make a CHF and FF picked in the rookie draft look like superstars.

100% agree. Case in point, have a look at the St. Kilda game this year. When Hill is delivering the ball inside 50, Anthony and Pearce looked like great forward options.

Remove this Banner Ad

List management and the end of the 2012 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back