List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Serong getting games late in the season and looking like he can make the level would have eliminated any thought that Callow should be kept for KP depth for next year. Add Lawrence too and it is the right call to put games into guys with higher ceilings than roll out Callow again.
I agree, there’s a lot of growth there. It might be tough viewing at times, but now’s the time for Lewis to lead the forward line.

I agree, there’s a lot of growth there. It might be tough viewing at times, but now’s the time for Lewis to lead the forward line.

It’s Lewis’ to lead - but he needs help. Another tall forward with a safe pair of hands to act as a foil for Lewis would help him immeasurably.

It’s Lewis’ to lead - but he needs help. Another tall forward with a safe pair of hands to act as a foil for Lewis would help him immeasurably.
Don't let perfect stand in the way of good. Plenty of clubs desperate for even 1 strong marking tall forward, we at least have that and at a good age.

I reckon we'll see one of our strong marking backmen up forward next year especially with CJ returning, Scrimmers would be the most interesting imo.

Ramsden you'd think would need 2-3 pre-seasons at AFL level. However the improvement from his first game where he looked miles off VFL level, to the Box Hill final where he sort of lit it up at times with some flashes, was very encouraging. His confidence just seemed to continue to grow, so some work on strength and fitness, and an actual AFL pre-season, he is without doubt the most intriguing player on the list. I'd still draft another key forward like Cadman if we have the chance however.

I dont want to harp on about Callow but the bloke is only 20 years old and is only going to improve. Interesting to see who we bring in to fill his shoes and how they perform.
When I was 20, I was only ever going to improve, didn’t mean I’d improve enough to be any good. If you haven’t got it you haven’t got it, and the club would know.

I think we had a pretty close look at Callow, obviously. At his speed, height, agility... question was where is he going to make it at AFL level? To play that role you need to be a Lobb height to be able to put pressure on defenders. If you aren't tall you need to be agile and quick. A tough call early, agree, but it seems we are both committed to putting time into young players, but also happy to back ourselves to make the calls on ones who are going to take us further and not carry young players for the sake of it.

When I was 20, I was only ever going to improve, didn’t mean I’d improve enough to be any good. If you haven’t got it you haven’t got it, and the club would know.
giphy.gif
Was meant to be cheeky but this gif is somewhat disgusting.

We do need a more mature player to help Lewis IF Gunstan goes.

Far too much to expect Serong (still a boys body) to stand up at this early stage and to put extra pressure on Ramsden or Lawrence is just not fair. Both could need several years in the twos to develop. Lawrence will likely be a late pick, not a top 20 talent.

Kosi and Jeka become really important for us and the jury is still out on both TBH. Showing something and potential doesn't equate to consistent competitive KPF. Perhaps Sam has views to move Frost, Scrim or other forward?

Lots to be positive about, but all unproven, except maybe Kosi.

I think it should be 'operation keep Gunners' right now. We need him.

Don't let perfect stand in the way of good. Plenty of clubs desperate for even 1 strong marking tall forward, we at least have that and at a good age.

I reckon we'll see one of our strong marking backmen up forward next year especially with CJ returning, Scrimmers would be the most interesting imo.

Oh I’m not looking for perfection - just looking for Lewis to get protection. The way he got mauled against West Coast is a sign of things to come - he’s clearly on opposition analysis’ radar now. Particularly if we lose Gunston we need someone there to at least ensure Lewis is only having to deal with the best tall defender - not two of the best. With Kosi’s current cement hands I doubt he’s going to provide as much of a decoy.

I dont want to harp on about Callow but the bloke is only 20 years old and is only going to improve. Interesting to see who we bring in to fill his shoes and how they perform.
Let’s break down the Callow situation.

He was overlooked by every team in the National draft.
He was then overlooked by every club in the Rookie draft.
He was then overlooked in the preseason supplementary period(for Bramble).

Young key forwards with upside and growth don’t have sides so unwilling to take them late in draft, or in the rookie draft.

He went to the SANFL and had his best games where he took multiple marks and kicked goals against the worst sides in the comp. He also had some very quiet games.

Come the mid season rookie draft, he was taken with the 17th pick.

Watching him at training and at Box Hill it was clear that he had some limitations with agility and speed. He had a very good tank, but wasn’t explosive, wasn’t particularly athletic or able to leap, and had an average kick.

Yes he was worth a look, and we gave him an extra 12 months to see if he could improve on a few of these facets, but he never dominated a game at Box Hill despite people still clamoring to the idea that he was a “contested marking beast”, and he just couldn’t get close to the output of a player like Greene who has more tricks but may still only ever be a very good VFL forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hales comments suggest he’s going to play some games next year.
Yeah it seems like he's gone from a longer term project player like Reeves was initially, to suddenly putting himself into contention with already showing some elite 'flashes', and that a pre-season might see some pretty rapid improvement. Would be perfect if he could fill a forward/ruck type role for us.

Ramsden in the first few weeks was a pretty shy guy and was trying to find his way at waverley. Following the game at box hill where he dominated the next training session at waverley he started hitting up at the ball full chested got a lot more voice on the track and was really enjoying himself.

Him kicking two goals in a final will fill him with plenty of confidence and he will be raring to go come pre season. Looking forward to next year quite a few in a similar boat, Blanck, Day and Impey to name a few

With Callow gone and Jeka showing his best traits in the backline.
Gunston maybe gone and Breust maybe as well. Kozi currently not showing enough as a capable fwd.

We will have 1 marking fwd in Lewis. just 1 making fwd.

Surely Fergus Greene will be rookie listed by the Hawks.

Breust not going anywhere. Gunners maybe.

Ramsden in the first few weeks was a pretty shy guy and was trying to find his way at waverley. Following the game at box hill where he dominated the next training session at waverley he started hitting up at the ball full chested got a lot more voice on the track and was really enjoying himself.

Him kicking two goals in a final will fill him with plenty of confidence and he will be raring to go come pre season. Looking forward to next year quite a few in a similar boat, Blanck, Day and Impey to name a few
Im really bullish about ‘sticks’ Ramsden. Has elite attributes that could see him as a very tough match up at afl level.

Sensible changes. Thought we may keep one around as depth, particularly if Mitchell goes.

Do we need to upgrade anyone from rookie list? (Jai, bramble?). Or maybe we do to fill spots? How many spots do we have free on senior vs rookie list now (including Amon coming in?).

Is that five senior spot? Thought we were one over with Blanck so all rookie spots covered at this stage?

Sorry I’ve missed it in previous posts.

We need a minimum of 3 draft picks and probably want at least 1 rookie and a spare list spot. Which is where we may be now with an updraft of player from rookie list.

If Mitchell goes that’s likely an extra pick - but could be offset with a trade in such as bruhn. If Hartigan retires (or Gunston leaves) that’s prob a spot filled with a late or rookie pick.

Did sound could be more changes - I wonder if we have a future 4th style types or likely DFA in mind.

Hales comments suggest he’s going to play some games next year.
Happens all the time.

Kids who aren’t physically ready get a game or two at AFL level.

Doesn’t mean they’re not still going to need 2 - 3 years in the system before they become a regular option.

Yep. Losing both would be a disaster. Brace for losing one.
All I know is that it will be a significantly younger list profile. In fact, we won't have a lot of experience at all on the list for next year.
Perhaps why Hartigan is safe.
Hartigan is contracted to 2023. That’s why he is safe.

Why would anyone think he would / should retire?

He’s probably got $300k - $350k coming into his bank account regardless of which level he plays at.

Would anyone in here throw that down the drain?

Further, would we be happy to pay him out? It’s not like our current KPDs have 1000 games of AFL football between them.

Hartigan is contracted to 2023. That’s why he is safe.

Why would anyone think he would / should retire?

He’s probably got $300k - $350k coming into his bank account regardless of which level he plays at.

Would anyone in here throw that down the drain?

Further, would we be happy to pay him out? It’s not like our current KPDs have 1000 games of AFL football between them.

It's absolutely amazing he got a 3 year deal, he really must have a good manager.

It's absolutely amazing he got a 3 year deal, he really must have a good manager.
In his previous 6 seasons at Adelaide (before the trade to us) he played an average of 17 senior games including the 2017 GF when he played full back.

He also played 19 games for us in his first season (2021).

People have very short memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back