Review Lobb is God! Dogs jam pussies at the Cattery

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly. It all started with that prick Brownless in that final in the 90s. Prick did nothing all day and the ball fell in his lap from an I'll directed kick which is just typical luck that Geelong always get against us

I will never get over the pain those C U Next Tuesdays have done against us unless we do something like what you have suggested above and win about 20 games in a row and beat them in a few finals.

The dis taste I have for those campaigners is off the charts..

Nah, it all started when we led for most of the 1976 elim, and went to sleep in the last 10 mins and they beat us by 5 points. Then 92, 94, 95, and it kept going from there.
Plus even EJ hardly won there in his career. It's been a painful challenge for a very long time.

I dont doubt that it was big contributing factor.

However an argument could also be made that it was as much a coaching effort.

From the comfort of my couch it looked like Beveridge was swinging players all over the joint looking for a winning formula.

If he's going to cop his share of brickbats like he did in the game day thread, then he deserves some part of a bouquet for the changes he swung tonight.
Agree there were a couple of good moves (ones that we've been crying out for the last few months) but why has it taken the possibility of him being sacked to start pulling tactical moves that were not forced on him by in-game injury?

I have a feeling he is spewing they lost - Scott would love to have won with a severely undermanned side. I know I would if I was him.he’s a competitive beast - it’s why he is so good.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Players never want to take it easy. What the club wants can go to hell.

Agree there were a couple of good moves (ones that we've been crying out for the last few months) but why has it taken the possibility of him being sacked to start pulling tactical moves that were not forced on him by in-game injury?
Which ones?

Lets talk about them.

VDM was subbed out of the game.
Dogs played better in the second half.
Not saying the two are linked. Not saying one caused the other.

Just stating two facts 🤗
Bailey Smith ... "gastro"
VDM ... "hamstring tightness"

:think:

Nah, it all started when we led for most of the 1976 elim, and went to sleep in the last 10 mins and they beat us by 5 points. Then 92, 94, 95, and it kept going from there.
Plus even EJ hardly won there in his career. It's been a painful challenge for a very long time.
Thank God I was too young to remember that . Would have been more painful. They are mentally inept against them

Chris Scott is taking the piss in his presser. He's positive about tonight.. He damn well knows they were tanking and still beat us for 3/4 of the game anyway..

They deliberately tanked for draft picks and were also feeling sorry for us

Which ones?

Lets talk about them.
The ones already mentioned.

West in the guts. :thumbsu:
Lobb to the CBs. :thumbsu:

I'm not saying these tactical moves actually won the game for us because as we've both pointed out Geelong dropped right off late in the game. We may have won anyway ... we'll never know.

However it was good to see Bevo try them. At last.

That’s probably the best game I’ve seen Rhylee West play for the club.

I don't think even Chris Scott was expecting his debutant ruck to start toweling Tim up 5 seconds into the game, or for them to go up 20 points.

He would have been coaching the players he had out there to win, but he also set them up to lose via team selection, that's pretty obvious. He would be pissing himself laughing at somehow almost beating us tonight.

I don't think even Chris Scott was expecting his debutant ruck to start toweling Tim up 5 seconds into the game, or for them to go up 20 points.

He would have been coaching the players he had out there to win, but he also set them up to lose via team selection, that's pretty obvious. He would be pissing himself laughing at somehow almost beating us tonight.
Chris Scott knew damn well what he was doing all week... He was delighted in his press conference with his B grade teams performance... Matching it with us for practically 3/4 of the game..

The whole thing was staged jockeying for their draft positions..And they felt sorry for us too..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ones already mentioned.

West in the guts. :thumbsu:
Lobb to the CBs. :thumbsu:

I'm not saying these tactical moves actually won the game for us because as we've both pointed out Geelong dropped right off late in the game. We may have won anyway ... we'll never know.

However it was good to see Bevo try them. At last.

West only attended 11 centre bounces for the game. The starting unit of Bont, Libba, and Treloar who not coincidentally were 3 of our best tonight had a combined total of 70. It's good that we got a glimpse of what he can do when rotated through there. But he still faces the problem of getting around those 3 guns. let alone the necessity of juggling Macrae and Smith through there in search of their best form. If nothing else. I hope it encourages him to run West through the middle more and never do it again with Caleb Daniel. He's better utilised away from the coal face.

Ive already gone into bat for Lobb tonight and he was competitively fantastic tonight. But Ive said many times on this board, that he doesn't always bring that to his game. It's what saw him get dropped for a couple of weeks. All the same it was smart move to get him into the middle when the had a hot hand and the Cats were starting to tire. Because for mine English has looked completely gassed for a few weeks now. However, that didn't stop him from being a dangerous target when sitting forward. Could Beveridge have used Lobb in the centre more this year? Sure. Did his form warrant it? Probably not. But English's did.

As Ive said a number of times. Im not here to defend Beveridge. I honestly couldn't care less if he gets the sack the day after our season finishes.

Im just not interested in joining the irrational pile on that blames him for every ****ing thing that goes wrong with our side.

Last edited:
It takes until round 24 for Beveridge to make moves? Plays West on the ball and moves English forward? Not flipping rocket science 🤦

That’s probably the best game I’ve seen Rhylee West play for the club.
That’s the most opportunity he’s had though? The blokes a mid, he’s always been a mid - I think anyone whose watched him at VFL knew he had this in him, he’s far and away the closest thing we have to Libba, why haven’t we tried this before? It’s like a lightbulb moment for Bev in the last few weeks, he’s deserving of bigger and better roles

Is he a somewhat limited player physically, sure but there’s a reason he was 2nd in the VFL league BNF in his second year

Have we been crying out for Lobb in the ruck? He’s played plenty of minutes there this year and not done a lot.

He’s been good the last few weeks but that’s playing more fwd minutes. Most weeks in the ruck, although probably more handy than current English in the tap department, was still not doing a lot around the ground.

It’s easy in hindsight looking at tonight’s game, but I don’t think 20% extra ruck time for Lobb in previous games would’ve won more for us.

Have we been crying out for Lobb in the ruck? He’s played plenty of minutes there this year and not done a lot.

He’s been good the last few weeks but that’s playing more fwd minutes. Most weeks in the ruck, although probably more handy than current English in the tap department, was still not doing a lot around the ground.

It’s easy in hindsight looking at tonight’s game, but I don’t think 20% extra ruck time for Lobb in previous games would’ve won more for us.
It’s less Lobb and more the fact that anyone else in the centre square would benefit us

West only attended 11 centre bounces for the game. The starting unit of Bont, Libba, and Treloar who not coincidentally were 3 of our best tonight had a combined total of 70. It's good that we got a glimpse of what he can do when rotated through there. But he still faces the problem of getting around those 3 guns. let alone the necessity of juggling Macrae and Smith through there in search of their best form. If nothing else. I hope it encourages him to run West through the middle more and never do it again with Caleb Daniel. He's better utilised away from the coal face.

Ive already gone into bat for Lobb tonight and he was competitively fantastic tonight. But Ive said many times on this board, that he doesn't always bring that to his game. It's what saw him get dropped for a couple of weeks. All the same it was smart move to get him into the middle when the had a hot hand and he Cats were starting to tire. Because for mine English has looked completely gassed for a few weeks now. However, that didn't stop him from being a dangerous target when sitting forward. Could Beveridge have used Lobb in the centre more this year? Sure. Did his form warrant it? Probably not. But English's did.

As Ive said a number of times. Im not here to defend Beveridge. I honestly couldn't care less if he gets the sack the day after our season finishes.

Im just not interested in joining the irrational pile on that blames him for every ******* thing that goes wrong with our side.

52 Centre bounces across the whole game including restarts. West starts almost 80% of them from the fwd line or the bench.

Not sure his improved output can be put down to him being played as a midfielder. 20% at starting point isn’t a lot.

When opponents get a run on against us (not just a run of goals but a period of general dominance for a quarter or more) the problems often start at the centre bounces. We have done little to change that through most of the year, apart from the routine bench rotations for English.

A lot of people have been saying we need to throw Lobb in there for longer stints when these things start to run against us. I doubt either of us is going back through all the post mortems and GDTs to check but that's certainly my recollection.

It's not a point I've been particularly hammering ... but I know others have raised it multiple times.

I know it might not always work but the benefits can be fourfold:
  1. Lobb can be a more physical presence than English who has been noticeably susceptible to big untalented palookas just running into him.
  2. It forces the opposition to change or re-consider their tactics on the fly, something we don't seem to do or appreciate enough. An opposition's pre-game strategy to neutralise English is suddenly worthless.
  3. English can suddenly be a force they weren't expecting as a marking forward as we saw tonight (2 goals) or as an intercepting defender. Either way it gives English more time to provide us the benefit of his around-the-ground strengths. That's what has put him in AA contention. Less so his tap work.
  4. A change - any change, whether in the ruck or elsewhere - is likely to have some benefits when the opposition starts running rings around us. Regardless of the technical merits of the change it has a dual psychological benefit: it challenges the comfort zone and the confidence that the opponent has got into, while giving our own players an opportunity to think differently about the game, believe that we might have some aces up our sleeve and regain a bit of the confidence lost since the game started to slip away. So it's worth any coach having a few safe stock changes at his disposal. Lobb spending more time in the ruck (or even just starting a quarter there) fits the bill nicely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Lobb is God! Dogs jam pussies at the Cattery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back