Luke Hodge caught drink driving - $5000 fine, free to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

I've lost a cousin to a flu.. The same flu millions of people get each winter! Just because you get the flu next winter does it mean you're going to die? Maybe you're overweight, have a bad diet and don't excercise so the flu you get attacks your heart and whilst walking down the street you have a stroke and die. Who's to blame? We could go back and forth for hours mate, facts are facts, hodge hasn't even done enough to warrant a visit to the courts or lose his license yet we have idiots wanting him to be suspended and lose the captaincy.

Once again... PERSPECTIVE

You are right. We have the HFC perspective now: rules and laws don't matter when it comes to finals and to the Captain. If only we could all have that perspective!

at least Stevie got punished internally...so breaking team rules is more punishable than breaking the law

Stevie J= 8 weeks
Stokes = 6 months
Simpson = drink driving course for all players and staff
Motlop= stood down

In case you want to bring up any other GFC players as a deflection .

Stevie J didnt miss a game for doing 128 in a 50 zone a much more serious case of law breaking and neither did Simpson for the exact same charge as Hodge.

I don't need to prove anything. (and btw it;s marshmAllow ;))

It seems you need to continually attempt to provide excuses for your hero.

Step back and see the bigger picture.

We ALL think Hodgey is a REALLY TOP BLOKE!!

He did something silly- the police caught him.

IT"S NOT THAT BAD- repeat ad nauseum.

This is a supposed leader of men, who is suspended from playing due to a crude act- letting club and teammmates down.

You minimising the issue - just as Hodge seems to be doing- takes away from the reality that this is bigger than one isolated incident.

This is about sending a message to the wider community that any drink driving is not OK.

HAwks and Hodge's response undermines state and Federal government approached to the issue- and there are many vocal lobby groups who will not be pleased with how this has been handled so far.

I don't necessarily agree with the 'big brother' approach- but this is the world we reside in.

Hodge - like it or not -knows the rules.

In the words of Karen Carpenter- this has only just begun....

It will be forgotten about by next Friday night.. Won't be spoken about after we win and Hodges knighthood will be granted after guiding Hawthorn to a 3peat as captain #messiah

Never realized there was such concern for the plight of our captain on behalf of so many opposition posters....Your river of tears is truly heart-felt & commendable....I'll be sure to pass on to the feared one your get-well wishes.

Either way, he'll be playing next weekend....So dry your eyes people & don't feel too badly about it.:)

Ahh hawforn..can do what the **** they want and it will be endorsed by the AFL.

Didn't the 3 strike rule come in to protect buddy and a few other hawks?

the same rules apply to him as they do to you. you pay the fine, you lose your license. and you move on.

what more do you want? him to step down as captain, and retire for bringing the game into 'disrepute'? lol
If you can't see the difference between his situation and mere mortals like you and me, too bad. His role as captain extends to off field duties. And he failed those.
Can you imagine the amount of cash TAC is throwing at AFL for the " don't drink drive "campaign.
So a simple "but he already copped a $500 fine" can't and shouldn't be enough.

A good lesson for those who allegedly drink 3-4 pints, wait two hours after their last drink before driving; you are highly likely to still be over.

4 pints is 8-9 standard drinks mate.

Actually sensible advice would be don't drink 4 pints and drive at all, as waiting for it to wear off would suck anyway and you'll want to go to bed. And if you are making this a blanket rule that includes 45kg women, they can get absolutely shitfaced off that amount of alcohol.

I've lost a cousin to a flu.. The same flu millions of people get each winter! Just because you get the flu next winter does it mean you're going to die? Maybe you're overweight, have a bad diet and don't excercise so the flu you get attacks your heart and whilst walking down the street you have a stroke and die. Who's to blame? We could go back and forth for hours mate, facts are facts, hodge hasn't even done enough to warrant a visit to the courts or lose his license yet we have idiots wanting him to be suspended and lose the captaincy.

What a completely ridiculous comparison. Well might you say PERSPECTIVE. Sheesh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Hodge gives say $5000 to TAC would that be punishment enough ? or do people just want him Missing a football game to help decrease Hawthorn's flag chances ? what is it people ?

Well done Geelong

After Rattens son surely the Hawks have to react, finals or not

So drink driving course for all players then ?

Thats inaccuarate also stevie J didnt miss a game for speeding he was give 50hrs at the TAC by the club.

If anyone from your own club was in the same boat, you'd be defending them as the Hawks fans (among others) are Hodge....

Far too many high horses in this thread.

For what it's worth, I'm happy to wait a few days before casting judgement.

I don't expect the Hawks to suspend Hodge, as that would be a horrible decision leading into a finals series. They are a football club remember.A public apology, a fine etc is all that is required/all I am expecting.

It is a classic deflection.

Hodge caught for drink driving.

You raise another issue to downplay what Hodge did.

Classic defelction.

Speeding is not another issue to drink driving, the issue is road safety is it not ?

drink driving is bad becuase it increases the risk of a crash, speeding is the no1 cause of deaths on the road.

The basis of this thread is Hodge must miss a game because he put lives at risk, I merely pointed out that everyone on here who has ever had a traffic ticket has done the same

This is probably the most embarrassing post I've ever read on BF.

Jesus Christ.

The basis of this thread is Hodgemust miss a game becusse he put lives at risk, I merely pointed out that everyone on here who has ever had a traffic ticket has done thesame and that speeding is the no1 casue of road death by a long way.

Hodge must miss a game because we want to decrease the Hawks chances of a 3peat is the real reason...

Well thats discrimination but ok.
No it isn't. He got the same legal fine as you and me.
It is fair to expect exemplary off field behavior of an AFL captain. He gets paid for that. You and me don't. So yes more the just the $500 is warranted.
To use the D word is a sign you don't have any clue what discrimination is .

Steven Motlop got suspended for drinking the week leading up to a season opener.
Dane Swan got suspended 2 weeks for being at a bar on a Sunday/Monday Night in August - accused of having been drinking, but (for what it's worth) both Swan and the owner denied that. In both cases there was no breaking the law. There was no evidence of any "bad behaviour".
Haven't all of Charlie Dixon, Jack Martin, Ben Cousins and Dan Connors all been suspended for drinking - say what you will about the names, but in neither case was their evidence of breaking the law or of bad behaviour.

It was a matter of players having broken a team rule (a rule that seems to apply at most clubs - just not yours apparently). How breaking the law and drink driving doesn't come in your teams rules for its players is seriously beyond me (and if it was another player, I reckon the outcome, and the words coming from your club, would be very different)

As I said in my original post, the leadership group is meeting on Monday to decide what punishment Hodge will get internally. This point seems to be lost on a lot of posters here. The club hasn't said he won't be sanctioned. What the club said (or what I saw in the statement) was "the penalty was appropriate". As in the police sanction was correct. This has been taken to mean the club won't punish or sanction him by the media and general public.

And for all the players that have been suspended, you need the flip side of the coin. All of those players that have transgressed and weren't suspended.

Anyways, I'll wait to see what comes out of Monday's leadership meeting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Hodge caught drink driving - $5000 fine, free to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back