Luke Hodge caught drink driving - $5000 fine, free to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Both stupid acts equally as dangerous, yet one was punished by the club while the other escape further penalties .

The cats are the greatest club of all time - we get it
The Hawks are just appalling - we get it
Selwood is an exemplary bloke - we get it
Hodge is a shit bloke - we get it

Anything else you want to add

Given his length of time in the game Hodges MRP/ Tribunal record is pretty good compared to many players, including some of his teammates. Had the two incidents this year not occurred I don't think the reaction of most posters to Hodges drink driving would be any different. It's the Bigfooty way.
I've lost a cousin to a flu.. The same flu millions of people get each winter! Just because you get the flu next winter does it mean you're going to die? Maybe you're overweight, have a bad diet and don't excercise so the flu you get attacks your heart and whilst walking down the street you have a stroke and die. Who's to blame? We could go back and forth for hours mate, facts are facts, hodge hasn't even done enough to warrant a visit to the courts or lose his license yet we have idiots wanting him to be suspended and lose the captaincy.

Once again... PERSPECTIVE

If he did what he did to Swallow, he would have had a visit to a court. It is the cumulative affect. If you think that getting rubbed out twice in a year for violent acts and then driving home drunk in the same year is fine for your club captain then get the club to come out and say it. No weasel words, just 'we don't give a ****, we want to win games of footy.' See how the sponsors react to that.

As I said in my original post, the leadership group is meeting on Monday to decide what punishment Hodge will get internally. This point seems to be lost on a lot of posters here. The club hasn't said he won't be sanctioned. What the club said (or what I saw in the statement) was "the penalty was appropriate". As in the police sanction was correct. This has been taken to mean the club won't punish or sanction him by the media and general public.

And for all the players that have been suspended, you need the flip side of the coin. All of those players that have transgressed and weren't suspended.

Anyways, I'll wait to see what comes out of Monday's leadership meeting.

The very first words to come out of the clubs mouth were that there would be no further punishment.

I have said above that when I see a different stance from Hawthorn, or I see them to be taking this seriously, then I will change my opinion.
Until then - I'm sorry but my perception is that your club (and Hodge) just don't seem to get the significance of this - which is really bizarre given recent circumstances.

But he's a great bloke, all is forgiven Luke. I especially like how his employer, Channel 7, quickly organised the interview with Rompingwins to show how their future special comments guy or whatever they'll get him doing is so so sorry.

I can't see any other option from the Hawks but to remove his captaincy and ban him from playing for a game or two, failure to deliver a satisfactory punishment will tarnish Hawthorn's reputation permanently. The double standards from Hawthorn supporters in here is astonishing, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

This is probably the most embarrassing post I've ever read on BF.

Jesus Christ.

Piss of brad.. My extreme post was in direct response to the extreme posts of others here, it was a piss take. Learn to read posts in the context it was meant to be in or don't comment.

The very first words to come out of the clubs mouth were that there would be no further punishment.

I have said above that when I see a different stance from Hawthorn, or I see them to be taking this seriously, then I will change my opinion.
Until then - I'm sorry but my perception is that your club (and Hodge) just don't seem to get the significance of this - which is really bizarre given recent circumstances.

I didn't hear any audio but went straight to the website for the official statement

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2015-09-04/hawthorn-football-club-statement

Nowhere in the statement does it say there would be no further punishment.

But he's a great bloke, all is forgiven Luke. I especially like how his employer, Channel 7, quickly organised the interview with Rompingwins to show how their future special comments guy or whatever they'll get him doing is so so sorry.

And I loved the whole "Im so sorry I got caught" tone of it. And the "I just had 3 or 4 at a mates place" "felt I was ok to drive".

It inspired me to be drug and alcohol counsellor to help people stop becoming walking missiles

It's finals and to me the message has been set ...a finals game is more important that risking someone's life .....sorry that's a really poor message

For a club that constantly says "we are the family club" this non action indicates to me that family club motto is just a load of bullshit and a farce
Wow Hardhat!!! What an amazing person you are + I think you have incredible courage + the most enormous :hearts:!!!

Totally agree with you - finals are more important than lives + yes it IS a very, very poor message.

I really hope that those Poos+Wees fans who think Hodge's behaviour isn't too bad learn something from your experience. As for the HFC, I've never had any respect for them + to be quite frank, this incident just proves that they only care about winning! Just despicable considering Ratten's son :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as i said earlier my outrage is slowly with you claiming drinking driving isn't a big deal. im not outraged by his actions i'm disappointed.
As i said when you started quoting me, Clearly this country has a long way to go when it comes to road safety education.
You've continued to dismiss the risks associated with drink driving, based on the punish metered out to offenders.

statistics don't lie, people continue to die largely because of attitudes like yours (attitudes that Hodgy seems to share) these are your words:

40 deaths in 1 state alone every 12 months. entirely preventable, but hey its no big thing....... (BTW thats with a steady decrease in deaths since drink driving was cracked down on and education programs woke most people up to the risks in 2002 for example the average was 70.)
You have more patience that I SB, just couldn't continue the discussion with him :(

Thought you might need this ;)

BrickWall.jpg

Both stupid acts equally as dangerous, yet one was punished by the club while the other escape further penalties .

statistically what Stevie J did was around 50 times more likely to cause a crash and he didnt miss a game, Hodge is yet to be punished a the leadership group will meet on Monday but he wont miss a game either.

I've never had an accident going over 10kms.
Don't drink and drive.
Don't give 'top blokes' lame excuses when they f-uck up either.
But i don't go for Hawthorn so it's probably weird to read that.
You're on :fire:

PR machine got right on the front foot.

I didn't hear any audio but went straight to the website for the official statement

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2015-09-04/hawthorn-football-club-statement

Nowhere in the statement does it say there would be no further punishment.

"We are disappointed in Luke's error of judgment, the club has spoken to him and the police about the matter and we believe the penalty he has received is appropriate."

To me that very much sounds like no further action.
That was the clubs opportunity to say that they had not made a decision yet and would have some meetings and take some time to decide what they want to do next.
Instead, those comments and Hodges interview seem to be the - lets do a bit of PR spin and hope this goes away without us having to actually do anything about it.

"We are disappointed in Luke's error of judgment, the club has spoken to him and the police about the matter and we believe the penalty he has received is appropriate."

To me that very much sounds like no further action.
That was the clubs opportunity to say that they had not made a decision yet and would have some meetings and take some time to decide what they want to do next.
Instead, those comments and Hodges interview seem to be the - lets do a bit of PR spin and hope this goes away without us having to actually do anything about it.

People can bitch and moan all they want does not mean that HFC has to do anything about it.

Disgusting thing to do and can entirely understand the outrage directed at him as it is more than deserved.

However, it is the responsibility of the Courts to punish, no one else and to think otherwise is quite frankly undemocratic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Hodge caught drink driving - $5000 fine, free to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back