Luke Hodge caught drink driving - $5000 fine, free to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

For the record, I have always shied away from any of the memorial shit thrown about by our club or supporters re Darren Milane. He was a ****ing idiot, it's not a tragedy, thankfully he only killed himself. I still feel for the truck driver every time it comes up.

I went to the funeral of another Darren, who got in the car with a drunk driver, and paid the price at just 17. 15 years later and the pain is just as vivid in the eyes of his parents.

Everyone who is caught says, I only had a couple, I didn't think I was over. ...

And so does every drunk driver who doesn't get caught until they kill somebody

"We are disappointed in Luke's error of judgment, the club has spoken to him and the police about the matter and we believe the penalty he has received is appropriate."

To me that very much sounds like no further action.
That was the clubs opportunity to say that they had not made a decision yet and would have some meetings and take some time to decide what they want to do next.
Instead, those comments and Hodges interview seem to be the - lets do a bit of PR spin and hope this goes away without us having to actually do anything about it.

See to me that means the penalty he received from the police is appropriate (well of course they are going to say that, given he didn't lose his licence). In that, we accept the police's version of the events and that the matter has been dealt with on the legal side.

Back to my main point, I'll wait till Monday to see what the leadership group come up with.

"We are disappointed in Luke's error of judgment, the club has spoken to him and the police about the matter and we believe the penalty he has received is appropriate."

To me that very much sounds like no further action.
That was the clubs opportunity to say that they had not made a decision yet and would have some meetings and take some time to decide what they want to do next.
Instead, those comments and Hodges interview seem to be the - lets do a bit of PR spin and hope this goes away without us having to actually do anything about it.

Spot on, and the club is right. He'll play next week so get over it, we won't jeopardise our chances of 3peating

People can bitch and moan all they want does not mean that HFC has to do anything about it.

But don't you see how that is entirely inconsistent with many other clubs.

I garauntee you if this was a Sydney or Freo player you guys would be calling for his head. Even if it was someone not in your 22 you'd all be saying "yep, fair enough - deserves a suspension". If it was Dane Swan you'd be calling for him to be sacked and then hung, drawn and qaurtered.

But it's Luke ****ing Hodge and according to your club and the AFL media the guy can do no ****ing wrong.

I can't see any other option from the Hawks but to remove his captaincy and ban him from playing for a game or two, failure to deliver a satisfactory punishment will tarnish Hawthorn's reputation permanently. The double standards from Hawthorn supporters in here is astonishing, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

LOL....OH I am....Pray tell: What should be an appropriate punishment for such dire shame.;)

I garauntee you if this was a Sydney or Freo player you guys would be calling for his head. Even if it was someone not in your 22 you'd all be saying "yep, fair enough - deserves a suspension". If it was Dane Swan you'd be calling for him to be sacked and then hung, drawn and qaurtered.

But it's Luke ******* Hodge and according to your club and the AFL media the guy can do no ******* wrong.

Personally I wouldn't but yeah a lot probably would.

No, but the cracks are starting to show.

We just showed that we are very good at beating sides that have lost a yard of pace.
Enjoy the sun on your back as it sets on your club.

Brown and Gold winter is coming.

Thats fine mate you can't stay at the top forever in this caper and I will enjoy 08/13/14 and another crack this year and you blokes can keep enjoying singing Never tear us apart...

There are plenty of jobs where you will be suspended pending the outcome of an investigation, let's not act like it only applies to football and is unfair.
:thumbsu: Plus there are plenty of jobs where driving is a requirement + many caught DUI lose their jobs as a result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good that they deemed the punishment appropriate.
Definitely trying for a full stop on that one.
Seems like that will be the go to line.

Anybody in your leadership group battling for a spot?

You should just worry about winning your 1st final in 14 years and let us worry about Hodge.

I cant believe all the blasphemy I'm reading in this thread against our revered Hodge.

I hope his father strikes you all down from the heavens.

Sinners!

That is bigfooty though. Defend your own, attack anyone else.

Just because one club would handle the situation differently doesn't mean Hawthorn have to handle it the same. A senior player at most clubs would probably get more leniency if it is the first time they stuffed up badly in 10 years than a young player in their first or second year

A lot of solid villainy this year to spice up the 'big 4'. Murray Newman and eagle booing, the return of Crowley (and Lyon's detractors and routine final round tanking), Hodge (and general Hawks fatigue) and Sydney (where to begin).

Luke,why didn't you just call James to give you a lift home ?

b1a5869f9540eeb6938e06bac0fc228080be26bc3f93518e316124fec8cf4ad4.jpg

There's a reason why we have time and quantity based guides for determining levels, it's because the "I feel OK" measure is shit.

Yes and no. Yes if you have drunk enough to impair your thought processes, no if you haven't, but i get your point. If you are a little inaccurate in the count or awareness of time, the law allows you some lack. 10 demerit points would see anyone (in Victoria) lose their license if they had any other minor indiscretion within 3 years, so if he hasn't, he is likely a cautious driver. i am confident he will be even more so the next time he has a drink and has the choice of driving or making other arrangements.

There's a reason why we have time and quantity based guides for determining levels, it's because the "I feel OK" measure is shit.

It's extremely simple to count drinks. I guess you'd need the ability to actually count...perhaps that's the problem.

i know he can count to 3, but I'm hoping its 4 by early October

What punishment did Geelong give Motlop for drinking before a game?

What punishment did Steve Johnson cop when he went DUI?

Were Geelong involved in a finals match during these suspensions?

If any club had their star player do something similar a week before finals, there wouldn't be a suspension handed out.

What Hodge did was really poor, and he will be punished appropriately by the courts/police.

Lot of options in between

Who is he apologising to here - outraged BF posters or Brett Ratten, his team mates, the club and his family. He has probably already done all of those things already but that sure as shit isn't going to be enough for anyone around here.

They aren't going to suspend him for finals - suck it up

Were Geelong involved in a finals match during these suspensions?

If any club had their star player do something similar a week before finals, there wouldn't be a suspension handed out.

What Hodge did was really poor, and he will be punished appropriately by the courts/police.
Didak and shaw?

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Hodge caught drink driving - $5000 fine, free to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back