Luke Hodge caught drink driving - $5000 fine, free to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

There are levels of illegal activity and this is on the less serious side.
Listen lets stop this crap. I read a poster last night on your own Hawthorn board whose sister was killed by a driver with the very same reading as your heroic skipper. The guy was appalled (despite being a Hawthorn fan) that this is been brushed under carpet as a meaningless transgression by his fellow supporters. maybe think before you post this rubbish??

Football results aside, it must get pretty ****ing tiring as a Hawthorn fan constantly having to defend the shit actions of their players. Or staff. It's not that hard to just say he made a mistake and should deal with the consequences instead of 'it's not that much over' or trying to prove the statistical likelihood of it around the country. Poor form by Hawthorn too. If this was McVeigh or Buddy I'd feel the same way too. At the end of the day it's just football. Who really gives a ****.

and arrogance is dehumanising some hawthorn supporters i fear

I'd say more blind support for their skipper.
I am not one of those, I think it's weak as piss what the club have done on this matter!
The BF reaction has been a farce though. Nearly as ridiculous as Hodge's actions.

I am not one of those, I think it's weak as piss what the club have done on this matter!
The BF reaction has been a farce though. Nearly as ridiculous as Hodge's actions.
Much of the reaction has been in response to the denials and defences put up. Yeah, it's over the top, but remember, it's Big Footy ;)

Club approved him going to hang out with mates and have a few
I inferred from Hodgys interview that there is no specific alcohol ban unless you are recovering from injury.

Regardless of club rules being a captain of a club and getting pissed is not good this far from finals.

Uh the online thoughts of anonymous football supporters posting on an Internet forum is nearly as bad as someone driving over the limit and potentially putting the lives of others and himself in danger? Okay.

Club approved him going to hang out with mates and have a few

Says Hodgey after this all came out when the club is trying to play damage control.
Could well be true. I do find that very unlikely given that we are a week out from finals - a finals series which will very likely see the Hawks travelling to Perth next week (and probably twice in 3 weeks), and that most clubs appear to have pretty strict rules when it comes to drinking during the season. Hodge is already on a 2 week suspension - pretty sure the club would want him doing everything in his power to be fit and ready for week one of the finals - a late night drinking at a friends place doesn't really fit that bill - IMO.

The cynic in me thinks it is much more likely that once they found out, the Hawks PR machine went into overdrive to find ways to minimise this as much as possible - the "had clubs permission to drink" story fits in much nicer than publicly accepting that he's broken team rules.
I dont have any proof of this - It's just my suspicion... and seems to fit with the comments that have so far come out of the club. (which may change on Monday after an apparent meeting with the leadership group).

Much of the reaction has been in response to the denials and defences put up. Yeah, it's over the top, but remember, it's Big Footy ;)

Yes and anyone defending drink driving is an idiot. Over is over, the law is black and white.
Hodge should be sanctioned by the club and lose his licence, no ifs or buts.
But yes, the main board has really been let go the way of the Bay.

Yes and anyone defending drink driving is an idiot. Over is over, the law is black and white.
Hodge should be sanctioned by the club and lose his licence, no ifs or buts.
But yes, the main board has really been let go the way of the Bay.
Yes, he was an idiot, but the law of the land didn't actually take away his licence! (For the record, I'm of the mind that the best punishment for him is to lose the captaincy! Personal punishment for a person act. Leave the fans and club out of the punishment)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Football results aside, it must get pretty ******* tiring as a Hawthorn fan constantly having to defend the shit actions of their players. Or staff. It's not that hard to just say he made a mistake and should deal with the consequences instead of 'it's not that much over' or trying to prove the statistical likelihood of it around the country. Poor form by Hawthorn too. If this was McVeigh or Buddy I'd feel the same way too. At the end of the day it's just football. Who really gives a ****.

Most have acknowledged its poor form and not acceptable behaviour - that doesn't mean that posters have to stand by and see his character assinated in the manner that it has. I would assume that you would feel the same if it was buddy or McVeigh on the receiving end.

As for poor form by the hawthorn, I suggest that people do a wait and see. The club is not going to react immediately just to appease outraged public - I have no doubt there is more to come.

Yes, he was an idiot, but the law of the land didn't actually take away his licence! (For the record, I'm of the mind that the best punishment for him is to lose the captaincy! Personal punishment for a person act. Leave the fans and club out of the punishment)

I'd like to see anyone that blows .05 or higher lose their licence.
Maybe 6 months of catching buses, trains and taxis might get the message through to people.
Nothing else seems to be working. Agree about the Captaincy.
The club needs to make an example of Hodge because he is an example to so many young kids.
If this was a fringe player they'd smoke him! Can't have two rules.

Most have acknowledged its poor form and not acceptable behaviour - that doesn't mean that posters have to stand by and see his character assinated in the manner that it has. I would assume that you would feel the same if it was buddy or McVeigh on the receiving end.

As for poor form by the hawthorn, I suggest that people do a wait and see. The club is not going to react immediately just to appease outraged public - I have no doubt there is more to come.

Whilst the assassination of his character is excessive there is also little point pretending Hodge's history hasn't contributed to this reaction.

There are levels of illegal activity and this is on the less serious side.

When I was a kid, a bloke had been out drinking until the early hours of the morning. He got his head down and then, driving to work at about 8am, he drove into a bus stop and killed 8 kids from my school. He was still slightly over the limit, even though he'd been home and been to sleep.

Try asking the parents and siblings of those kids if they think this is on the less serious side of illegal activity. Think how many lives that guy ****ed up, including his own.

If I've had even 1 beer I don't even think about getting behind the wheel, let alone after 4 pints FFS.

I'd like to see anyone that blows .05 or higher lose their licence.
Maybe 6 months of catching buses, trains and taxis might get the message through to people.
Nothing else seems to be working. Agree about the Captaincy.
The club needs to make an example of Hodge because he is an example to so many young kids.
If this was a fringe player they'd smoke him! Can't have two rules.
Excellent post!

When I was a kid, a bloke had been out drinking until the early hours of the morning. He got his head down and then, driving to work at about 8am, he drove into a bus stop and killed 8 kids from my school. He was still slightly over the limit, even though he'd been home and been to sleep.

Try asking the parents and siblings of those kids if they think this is on the less serious side of illegal activity. Think how many lives that guy stuffed up, including his own.

If I've had even 1 beer I don't even think about getting behind the wheel, let alone after 4 pints FFS.

Is that fact?? When was that reported??

I wouldn't care less if someone was "assassinating" the character of one of our players. As much as I like their work on the field, I don't know them personally and they are not my buddies. If they do something stupid, just come out and acknowledge he did something stupid (on the back of other stupid incidents this year).

As for the second point, I think the only reason Hodge is fronting the leadership group is because of the public outrage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Hodge caught drink driving - $5000 fine, free to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back