Recommitted Mac Andrew [Signs until at least 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Rumors today that a Victorian club will offer 8 years 12 mill for him. Not really sure he is worth that much but I do get it. His versatility is amazing as is his ceiling. I cant see Gold Coast matching such a contract offer since they just cant afford it

Id be shocked if this unnamed club isnt St Kilda. In any trade id imagine Gold Coast wanting 2 1st rounders and the like. It will be a interesting one to play out thats for sure.

This is somewhat the issue with the academy setup for Gold Coast. Salary cap will just mean the club is and will continue to be a conveyor belt of talent for other clubs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rumors today that a Victorian club will offer 8 years 12 mill for him. Not really sure he is worth that much but I do get it. His versatility is amazing as is his ceiling. I cant see Gold Coast matching such a contract offer since they just cant afford it

Id be shocked if this unnamed club isnt St Kilda. In any trade id imagine Gold Coast wanting 2 1st rounders and the like. It will be a interesting one to play out thats for sure.

This is somewhat the issue with the academy setup for Gold Coast. Salary cap will just mean the club is and will continue to be a conveyor belt of talent for other clubs.
He would be crazy to take that deal

Will most likely get $1 mil a year from the suns and get him to free agency then cash in for more in 5 years time to the club he wants

Itks at dogs board say that dogs are looking to lure him next year at the end of his contract. Doubt they are offering him anything yet. Every Victorian club will be into him.

The kid looks like he will be a star, but he isn't there quite yet.

Only one club is stupid enough to put out an 8 year 12 million dollar offer at this point in his career.

They start with 'North' and end in 'Melbourne'.

It still hurts.
And as I've said a million times, if we had been able to access Andrew, we would've lost the pick we used on JVR.

Melbourne folks need to stop acting like it was the biggest injustice ever seen in the AFL. Was it unlucky? Yes. Was it a terrible outcome? No.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of assumptions from you. Mostly I disagree.

Academy kids are actually great for Suns. It's a fair assumption that they will be more loyal, staying for less, less pressure on cap. BTW, it's only now that academy is finally producing.

Surely, Suns can afford to pay some players over 1M like other teams especially now with TPP going up by more than 3M over 3 years. E.g. GWS had this year 4 players over 1M. How much is Petracca, Oliver on? Include Gawn, May, Lever. What do you think Carlton key players are on?

Suns have a lot of young players. Can Suns play them all and pay them down the track? Probably not. Similar to GWS, there is selection process happening.

Do Suns still overpay new contracts? Hopefully not. Ainsworth was optimistic case in that regard.

Suns just need to play finals, and they should end up with similar situation like Lions; players are happy to stay for less. GC is a great place to work.

Easily said than done. FWIW, except first 3 rounds, Suns line-ups were usually younger than re-build teams, including Eagles.

2024 is a crucial year.

Last edited:
You can only hold so many players over 1 million dollars. They gotta know when to match and know when not too

Maybe they can make it work out and keep both while keeping everyone else but when you get to a stage of these large overbids you gotta pick a time to walk away

Otherwise you just got Jack Bowes 2.0 on your hands somewhere on your list

Now or like in 2026 type deal ? Im thinking by 2026. I’d say they’d have

Andrew, King, Anderson, Rowell, Walter, Flanders.
Most teams will have similar numbers probably with 3.2M+ TPP.

Walter has a way to go. In 2026, in his 3rd year (standard contract) forget 1M+.

As for Carlton above, what do you think will be salaries of Curnow, McKay, Cripps, Walsh, TDK, Weitering, Cerra (if healthy)?

Now or like in 2026 type deal ? Im thinking by 2026. I’d say they’d have

Andrew, King, Anderson, Rowell, Walter, Flanders.

He's out of contract at the end of next season, so a new deal would obviously need to be done before then.

The salary cap is increasing approximately $3m over the next few years. A $1m contract is now is not the same as it once was.

As for Walter...come on now. He's played how many games?

He's out of contract at the end of next season, so a new deal would obviously need to be done before then.

The salary cap is increasing approximately $3m over the next few years. A $1m contract is now is not the same as it once was.

As for Walter...come on now. He's played how many games?
Walter gets that Tom Boyd treatment for sure.

In a way it probably ends up being a decision between Mac Andrew and Jed Walter. Salary wise only one can stay. Think the smarter money is on letting Andrew go
What an unusual take, as if most clubs don't have multiple players on big money, same as the Suns will in the future and Suns will be moving on plenty of lesser players to free up cap, which is of course expanding substantially in the next few years.

BTW, Jed Walter yet to do much to earn big money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Mac Andrew [Signs until at least 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back