Recommitted Mac Andrew [Signs until at least 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely NGA's a rort.

But the bigger rort was having access removed for some clubs, for a few years, while allowing other clubs free reign.

Cap the access to F/s & Academy for all clubs, allow a rolling x points value across a 4 year period or something, so you can't just wildly benefit from both. or take 5x highly rated in 2 years, that's the real joke.

Yeah let's get over the fact that we had one of the best young key position players stolen from us...absolutely not.

Would you trade Van Rooyen for him?

Because as one of your supporters helpfully pointed out in this thread, it’s a one or the other situation. If you had access to Andrews, you would have had to use the pick you did use to pick up Van Rooyen.

Melbourne are the victim here only on principle. They are not distinctly (if at all) worse off.

Because as one of your supporters helpfully pointed out in this thread, it’s a one or the other situation. If you had access to Andrews, you would have had to use the pick you did use to pick up Van Rooyen.

Melbourne are the victim here only on principle. They are not distinctly (if at all) worse off.
Good lord. Andrew is a much much better footballer. Its not even close to being close

Yeah let's get over the fact that we had one of the best young key position players stolen from us...absolutely not.

But now you have a chance to get him back and right the injustice that befell the demons

Absolutely NGA's a rort.

But the bigger rort was having access removed for some clubs, for a few years, while allowing other clubs free reign.

Cap the access to F/s & Academy for all clubs, allow a rolling x points value across a 4 year period or something, so you can't just wildly benefit from both. or take 5x highly rated in 2 years, that's the real joke.
What if none of these things existed and the AFL just got off their lazy behinds and ran both Northern and Next Gen Academies themselves, instead of making clubs do it? Then we could all have an unmolested draft.

You think other clubs will be offering Van Rooyen 8 year 12 mill deals? I think its more of a AFL wide opinion this

Didn't say that.

But they are two very good young key position players of the comp. "It's not even close to being close" is just silly.

Besides, that wasn't the point I was making. I was simply highlighting the fact that there wasn't a world in which Melbourne could have walked away with both Andrew and Van Rooyen. It's not as simple as their fans saying "Oh we should have had Andrew".

What if none of these things existed and the AFL just got off their lazy behinds and ran both Northern and Next Gen Academies themselves, instead of making clubs do it? Then we could all have an unmolested draft.
Yeah, they won't do that. F/S is too ingrained.

Just have to find a way to limit the impact, and make clubs choose when to match or not.

Would GC have matched on Read if it meant no Lombard?

Would you have matched Fletcher if meant no Levi this year? Even if it drops a couple of extra picks back into the open pool, it's got to be a positive.

Back to Mac, given that not having access, allowed the Dees to get JVR. If they can secure him in a trade now, could work out ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would GC have matched on Read if it meant no Lombard?

Would you have matched Fletcher if meant no Levi this year? Even if it drops a couple of extra picks back into the open pool, it's got to be a positive.
The answer is probably no to both, but this could also create perverse incentives. Academies would probably ditch everyone except the very top end of talent much earlier, because they won't be of use to the club in the end. The Lions academy has produced multiple other players for the league that didn't make it at the Lions (Chol, Wagner, Cumberland etc), but if a rule came in only allowing a small number of picks in a period then the 50/50 chances probably wouldn't last.

The answer is probably no to both, but this could also create perverse incentives. Academies would probably ditch everyone except the very top end of talent much earlier, because they won't be of use to the club in the end. The Lions academy has produced multiple other players for the league that didn't make it at the Lions (Chol, Wagner, Cumberland etc), but if a rule came in only allowing a small number of picks in a period then the 50/50 chances probably wouldn't last.
That's why you base it on points, no picks.

Walker and Draper for us, still would have had a 0 point value attached. one at pick 50 something and the other a cat B.

It's not about restricting the access, but limiting the cream taken out of the top end.

But now you have a chance to get him back and right the injustice that befell the demons
yeah cool. but we should have had him for free. Afl absolutely ripped us. Basically had one set of rules benefiting every other club, change the rules so Melbourne lost their future key position player, and then changed the rules back again to benefit other clubs.

An absolute farce that has a 10-15 year impact.

in a heart beat.

Didn't say that.

But they are two very good young key position players of the comp. "It's not even close to being close" is just silly.

Besides, that wasn't the point I was making. I was simply highlighting the fact that there wasn't a world in which Melbourne could have walked away with both Andrew and Van Rooyen. It's not as simple as their fans saying "Oh we should have had Andrew".
Well there was, it was a world where Melbourne traded for a pick to also select Van Rooyen.

Shocking.

What an unusual take, as if most clubs don't have multiple players on big money, same as the Suns will in the future and Suns will be moving on plenty of lesser players to free up cap, which is of course expanding substantially in the next few years.

BTW, Jed Walter yet to do much to earn big money.

GC’s cap is so stretched they had to give away a quality player with a top 10 pick in desperation to free up space. The problem with GC is that they have several players on big money and a lot of their middle tier players are being overpaid.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm glad that this thread has turned into the rort against the MFC because Mac Andrew not being a demon is probably the biggest disadvantage the afl has given a club in maybe 50 years.

What happened 50 years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm glad that this thread has turned into the rort against the MFC because Mac Andrew not being a demon is probably the biggest disadvantage the afl has given a club in maybe 50 years.
Okay shut the hell up, it sucked but this is ridiculously stupid even for you.

Melbourne definitely would've won the next 10 flags if they were able to take Andrew as NGA for sure.

Now that the rules have changed again, I too hope we can take blokes from our NGA, who have played football their entire junior careers, despite NGA being there to bring kids in who otherwise wouldn't have played.

Can't wait.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Mac Andrew [Signs until at least 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back