Recommitted Mac Andrew [Signs until at least 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolute gun and will be a generational player. Melbourne really hard done by.

It'll take a lot to get him out of Gold Coast. I hope we get ourselves ready to chase him if he ever decides to leave.

The kid looks like he will be a star, but he isn't there quite yet.

Only one club is stupid enough to put out an 8 year 12 million dollar offer at this point in his career.

They start with 'North' and end in 'Melbourne'.
With the salary cap going up $3 million in 3 years, $1.5mil PA from 2026 onwards will be the equivalent percentage of the salary cap that $1million PA was say when WB signed Tom Boyd to that deal a decade ago. And he’d only played 1 season.

By the end of next year Andrew will have been in the system for 4 years. And may have exploded.

So it’s not the huge deal that many are making it out to be.

St Kilda reportedly offered Weitering a similar deal this year and have a similar deal for LDU on the table, so this will be the norm from now on if you want to extract elite talent from other clubs. Especially if you’re not a “destination club”.

As Tom Browne said, the key for GC is to get this contract as close to $1m as we can until free agency. He's in a changeover of management so if we can get a deal done over summer that would be ideal (his management should delay that as late as possible). Maybe the most exciting young big man in the comp, not surprised at all at the interest. Apparently he loves the club and is happy so will be an interesting watch.

This is a waste of a thread, purely based of some rumored offer (probably started by Macs manager to draw a line in the sand regarding Macs extension with the Suns)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This is a waste of a thread, purely based of some rumored offer (probably started by Macs manager to draw a line in the sand regarding Macs extension with the Suns)

If you think there won’t be clubs making him huge offers you’re kidding yourself. And at least one will probably be in that range. Especially if he has a big year next year.

Possibly, but that’s about 90% of this website haha.

GC’s cap is so stretched they had to give away a quality player with a top 10 pick in desperation to free up space.
Was. We don't know what it's like now.

The problem with GC is that they have several players on big money and a lot of their middle tier players are being overpaid.
True, but this is partly due to the minimum cap spend being 95% of the total, an absurdly high figure. And once they get Lukosius off the books, it frees up a lot of space.

Was. We don't know what it's like now.

True, but this is partly due to the minimum cap spend being 95% of the total, an absurdly high figure. And once they get Lukosius off the books, it frees up a lot of space.

The fact that they did that trade, suggests to me the state of their cap was pretty bad and very unlikely to be rectified in one offseason.

The fact that they have to get Lukosius off the books just proves my point further. He is a good player and should be retained. They can’t because they overpaid him and they need to free up space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that they did that trade, suggests to me the state of their cap was pretty bad and very unlikely to be rectified in one offseason.
Wonderful, and what evidence do you have to back up this feeling?

The fact that they have to get Lukosius off the books just proves my point further. He is a good player and should be retained. They can’t because they overpaid him and they need to free up space.
They don't, actually. They're perfectly fine with him staying and have said so.

Yeah let's get over the fact that we had one of the best young key position players stolen from us...absolutely not.
Correct me if I’m wrong, it’s my understanding that Melbourne put very little time into Mac as a junior and that he was signed very late to the Melbourne NGA, is that not correct?

Correct me if I’m wrong, it’s my understanding that Melbourne put very little time into Mac as a junior and that he was signed very late to the Melbourne NGA, is that not correct?
Was with us since he was 14. This for Jason Taylor

Mac was at our very first training session back when he was 14 so he's obviously coming from a fair way back there. He's shown some significant growth over this year. I last saw him play before the COVID shutdown at a practice game at Beaconsfield where he was really raw in his football but he showed some of those athletic traits," Taylor told the Road to the Draft podcast

Wonderful, and what evidence do you have to back up this feeling?

They don't, actually. They're perfectly fine with him staying and have said so.

The evidence is that they had to give away a top 10 pick along with a decent player to relieve the pressure.

Lukosius is gone and they need him gone. What the club says means nothing.

Yeah let's get over the fact that we had one of the best young key position players stolen from us...absolutely not.
Joe Biden Trump GIF by TacosAllDay

The rules at the time said he was not available to you. Fact. Now move on FFS
With all due respect, as a Sydney fan, you're not in a position to to say 'move on'. If the AFL took Heeney off you out of nowhere you wouldn't be half the team. I will continue to make noise about this issue until we either get compensated or the AFL acknowledge their completely inept running, the nga is scrapped altogether or when Mac Andrew eventually retires. It was a bloody disgrace with huge ladder ramifications. Especially when we're basically looking at a ladder which is basically a perfect reflection of how much the club has been kissed with NGA's.

I will happily be using it as a very valid excuse for the next 10 years of Mac's career.

I will continue to make noise
Finally, our club's administration will be happy! MAKE SOME NOISE! :speaker: :speaker: :speaker:

P.S. Agree - we should be awarded the next six premiership cups because we couldn't sign a player on a system that isn't fair or equal in the first place, in a competition littered with such and various advantages and disadvantages across literally every single club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Mac Andrew [Signs until at least 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back