Recommitted Mac Andrew [Signs until at least 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

the problem is, some clubs like Sydney, Dogs and pies have already built lists on their academy players. the damage has been done. I mean without Heeney you lose the match to GWS and your season is on the brink of finishing.

Meanwhile, another day rolls on and Dees miss out on yet another NGA academy player in Tairon Ah-mu. Gotta love the afl shaping the ladder with their nga rules.

NGA's are a box ticking exercise, not a development pathway as the Northern Academies are. You shouldn't confuse the 2.

The NGA's have a far bigger chance to tip the balance and it is highly Melbourne centric. That and free agency compensation are the biggest issues in the draft at the moment

NGA's are a box ticking exercise, not a development pathway as the Northern Academies are. You shouldn't confuse the 2.

The NGA's have a far bigger chance to tip the balance and it is highly Melbourne centric. That and free agency compensation are the biggest issues in the draft at the moment
I agree. But now that the majority of teams have benefited greatly from the NGA flawed system except for the dees then it's fair for the dees fans to want blood. Especially after missing out on a gun like Mac Andrew but now a future first rounder in Ah-Mu. Like it's got to a point where it's almost pointless to have a ladder.

They need to change the rules to you can take 1 academy player every 8-10 years or something.

That’s a bargain, that averages out to $1.3mil a year.

For context, Franklin signed for $1.1mil a year when the salary cap was $9.951M in 2013.

In 2025, the salary cap is $17.7 Million. Mac’s contract would be the equivalent value of signing for $730,000 a year in 2013.

Depends if it has ratchet clauses in it for future cap rises.

It's actually a pretty horrible deal and such a classic Suns move. He has all the talent in the world but he's still a potential piece.

$13 million contract for a guy averaging 14 touches, 3 clangers, 0.75 contested marks and has kicked 9 goals (obviously mainly playing back).

That’s a bargain, that averages out to $1.3mil a year.

For context, Franklin signed for $1.1mil a year when the salary cap was $9.951M in 2013.

In 2025, the salary cap is $17.7 Million. Mac’s contract would be the equivalent value of signing for $730,000 a year in 2013.
Franklin was a superstar though & a key forward; Mac Andrew is a good player with high potential but not worthy of this contract imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is probably why his contract is a significantly smaller percentage of the salary cap than Lance’s was…

I've always wondered why contracts don't just specify a % of the cap, especially longer deals where future cap size isn't clear.

Instead of getting 800K/year, ask for 5% of the total cap every year for 7 years.

It's actually a pretty horrible deal and such a classic Suns move. He has all the talent in the world but he's still a potential piece.

$13 million contract for a guy averaging 14 touches, 3 clangers, 0.75 contested marks and has kicked 9 goals (obviously mainly playing back).

I don't think they had a choice given what the Hawks and others were potentially offering him.

I got a feeling a portion of the salary is covered by the AFL too.

I suppose what do you do, the market clearly dictated we needed to pay him and give him that security to stay.

A 5+4 year contract with injury clauses built in is as safe as a long term contract in this day and age can get.

Do you only offer him 4-5 years when others are offering him 8+ and let him walk?

In regards to other players at the club it is interesting, I imagine we let the market decide what they need to be paid, if someone is offering Rowell 8 years at 1m a year then we may have to match that if we want to retain him?

I don't think they had a choice given what the Hawks and others were potentially offering him.

I got a feeling a portion of the salary is covered by the AFL too.
He is now a multicultural ambassador for the club

4%. That's not really significant. Mac doesn't have the star power that Lance had, with regard to ticket sales, merch and marketing. They also have a lot of talented youngsters coming through.
$1.1mil v $730K PA (if those numbers posted earlier are correct) is a BIG difference.

BIG.

Utter stupidity from the Suns, he's a decent young player but has only played 41-games yet they are handing out the biggest contract in the history of the game.

When it comes back to bite them on the butt, I'll be reminding you of this post.
And if it doesn’t, will you be bumping this post and putting your hand up to say you were wrong?

Utter stupidity from the Suns, he's a decent young player but has only played 41-games yet they are handing out the biggest contract in the history of the game.

When it comes back to bite them on the butt, I'll be reminding you of this post.
Hawks and Demons apparently offering more, there is a lot to like about Mac, time will tell, just like it did for Jack Martin

Didnt you sign jack martin at a million a year?

Didnt you sign jack martin at a million a year?

Don't let the facts get in the way of your imagination.

First of all, I never wanted Martin and still don't.

However, our club, in its infinite wisdom, signed that "lemon" to a multi-year deal somewhere around $600K per annum but decided to front-load the deal so he got some ridiculous amount in his first year (mooted to be close to $2mill) and then has been paid chump change for the remaining years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Mac Andrew [Signs until at least 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back