Rumour Mackie to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

We've cleared Brown and Hooper, so cap space is fine.

As for the price, you gotta break eggs to make an omelette. Mackie for Young is do-able.

Be pretty disappointed with this. I think Mackie would be a great pickup but Young provides us with run and carry. Able to break a line with pace and a 60m kick. Brings something unique to our plodding midfield.

Can't see that happening. I'd expect you guys would want a high-ish pick or push for a young player like Shiels or Savage and a later pick, as part of your rebuild.

Stephen Wells has stated that he doesn't really think that there isn't that much depth in this draft after the first 20 pick's so don't think we would be that interested in draft picks if Mackie were to move.

Wells has also stated that he is looking for pacey midfielders hence why I thought Young given his injury history of the past two years maybe the player that might be moved on to get the deal moving forward

I like Mackie, I just think Young is way too important for our set up- round 22 he tore that game to bits. I would loathe to lose Young.

Hopefully a player like the Beau's and our compensation pick for Brown will be good enough? I mean he didn't play Geelong's Semi or Preliminary

nowhere near enough I would think :confused:

this would be pretty stupid imo, surely the defender pelch was talking about is a full back?? Why do we need another 3rd tall? We have birch, stratts, gibson and murphy to take those roles, if the defender spoken about isn't a KP defender ill be friggen pissed.

Geez Mackie is getting massively overrated by some here. He had a poor season and was eventually dropped. He's built like Ellis, has a bad habbit of bombing it long when it's not the right option and like Birchall forces the issue on his dominant foot too often. He is not a great player at all, he's a good player, not better than Josh Gibson.

Can't believe Hawthorn people would even suggests Young as a possible swap. Mackie is the true definition of a front runner who has had the good fortune of playing alongside a very strong and cohesive defensive unit that allowed him to run around getting cheap positions. He is a severely overrated footballer and anyone suggesting he is worth a first round pick (god forbid) is deluded. Sorry, but he will add little to the areas that need attention.

A big no from me. How many more HBF do we want to compile?:mad:

We need a strong key defender that can match up on players like Brown and Riewoldt not someone like Mackie

Yes he is a good player but he plays the same role as Birchell. If we find a key backman I think u will find that Gibson will provide the run off half bak we need. Gibbo is a better run and create style defender than a negating one.

No to Mackie for me.

I like Mackie, I think he would be a great pick up IF we can get him

The only issue I have got is that Gibson, Birchall, Mackie, are all running defenders, and we need a stay at home, big bodied key position defender.

However these KP defenders don't grow on trees, so if Mackie is available grab him.

The only issue I have got is that Gibson, Birchall, Mackie, are all running defenders, and we need a stay at home, big bodied key position defender.

However these KP defenders don't grow on trees, so if Mackie is available grab him.
Your saying mackie is a KP defender ?????? :confused:

Mackie isn't a Key position defender !!!

Looks like a spazz to me. Our compensation pick would easily do the job.

AMackieR82004_1.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not saying Mackie is a KP defender, all I am saying is that if the Hawks can't trade for a KP defender eg Tarrant, Mackie could be a worthwhile addition to our defence.

Geez Mackie is getting massively overrated by some here. He had a poor season and was eventually dropped. He's built like Ellis, has a bad habbit of bombing it long when it's not the right option and like Birchall forces the issue on his dominant foot too often. He is not a great player at all, he's a good player, not better than Josh Gibson.

Sorry, can you clarify this for me???

Cool lets trade Young our best and only line breaking outside midfielder for a half back flanker.

You're all nuts. :thumbsdown:

I think it was more Geelong people saying young would be a good swap not Hawthorn fans.

We should only do this deal if it is for Ladson + pick or something along those lines.

Do not Trade Young, Sewlle, Lewis or a young player (unless it's Dowler or Morton) for Mackie, as much as I would like to see him at Hawthorn, he is not worth that much.

Mackie has pinch-hitted before as a KPD.

I doubt he will ever take the #1 forward, but like Gilham, Gibson and Stratton he copes ok on most #2's. Has pantsed Franklin on more than one occassion (not a whole game like Gibson, but for significant periods whilst Cats try to free up Scarlett/Taylor).

Young is off-limits. Not a chance. Pelchen and Clarko rate him very highly - that run and lethal foot. There's little doubt that Geelong would be seeking a player though. Perhaps an inside midfielder?

Young is off-limits. Not a chance. Pelchen and Clarko rate him very highly - that run and lethal foot. There's little doubt that Geelong would be seeking a player though. Perhaps an inside midfielder?

Agreed Grizz.

Gablett gone; Ling seemed in the finals like he was done... An inside mid with grunt that could double as a tagger would go a long way for the Cats.

Who else can we consider?

Must get Mackie to the club at near on all costs!

How about Hodgey:(

Seriously, we have had an unhealthy fixation with mid sized HBF for a few years now....

We should be considering Will Thursfield (on the cheap) for a pure defensive KPD role. Not Mackie, who would also be aged - 25/26???.

Word down here in Geelong has it that Mackie was dropped cause he told Bomber he wanted to jump ship. Bomber, already peeved about Little Gaz leaving, almost blew a gasket and dropped him.

He's a good player when he wants to be, and has a good footy brain.

Irrespective of whether I think this is a good move or not, I cannot for the life of me figure why a regularly picked player, a few weeks out from a potential GF birth, would tell his coach he wanted to jump ship!:confused:

How about Hodgey:(

Seriously, we have had an unhealthy fixation with mid sized HBF for a few years now....

We should be considering Will Thursfield (on the cheap) for a pure defensive KPD role. Not Mackie, who would also be aged - 25/26???.

Fair point!

Not hodgey ( edited last post!)

Though I still think mackie offers so much the club could benefit from, both on and off field!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back