Rumour Mackie to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, can you clarify this for me???

Which part of "not better than Josh Gibson" did you not understand? Mackie doesn't offer anymore with the ball than Gibson and I'd back Gibson at CHB/FB over Mackie.

Don't tell me, he's an AA....Mackie>Mitchell. :rolleyes:

- While Mackie is not a KPD, this trade would be justified if it allowed Birchall to move in to more of a midfield/ wing role and then Mackie takes his place on one of the flanks. A HUGE NO to trading Clinton Young. This would be a disaster.

- Hawthorn still need a KPD. Anyone for Warnock? If we do somehow get the monster defender we are all crying for, HAwthorns back line gets a spine, Gilham will go back to 2008 form because he can finally play on the type of player he is capable to play on e.g. 2nd/3rd forward like he did so well in 2008. We forget what Trent Croad meant to Gilham and his confidence.

If we add Warnock and Mackie our back line could look like this

Gilham Warnock Guerra/Murphy
Mackie Stratton/Schoe Gibson

That's a pretty solid defence.

Team could then look like

Gilham Warnock Guerra/ Murphy
Mackie Stratton/Schoe Gibson

Birchall Mitchell Young

Burgoyne Franklin Rioli
Ossie Roughead Lewis

Foll: Bailey, Hodge, Sewell

Int: Ellis, Bateman, Renouf..... Then pick your sub.

That looks mouth watering on paper, i'm almost drooling over my keyboard.

i think mackie could be handy for us. he'd probably take murphy's spot. i'm fine with that.

This might be true, but upwards of double the price - but not for double the output. Probably same goes with Birch? Actually, if Geelong asked for Birchall in a swap, what would you say?

And if Murphy hasn't been dropped and/or delisted when it was a possibility at the end of the last season, I fail to see how that is going to happen now.

Mackie has some ability, but we shouldn't be considering paying the price Geelong would be asking and definitely not a priority as to what we should be targeting. He can't play wing. He is purely a HBF with some dash.

the compo pick which would be pick 18 or higher once the other 2 teams come in will not be enough. and i would say we would have no interest at all in ladson. i cant really think of anything that you would be willing to get rid of that would satisfy us.

he is contracted for another 3 years so unless we get a great deal or he is hell bent on going somewhere else i'd say he will be a cat again next year

I reckon a lot of you that are writing Mackie off as a 'third tall' aren't giving the bloke the same sort of respect that any player takes in his evolution.

FFS, Chris Langford started out as a winger, skinny ruckman & HBF'er before he filled his skin.

Look not only at the day but indeed the decade.

And underestimate the value of B. Dowler at your peril - he'd be a really good fit for them and they might be able to unlock his key.

I reckon a lot of you that are writing Mackie off as a 'third tall' aren't giving the bloke the same sort of respect that any player takes in his evolution.

FFS, Chris Langford started out as a winger, skinny ruckman & HBF'er before he filled his skin.

Mackie is 26 and approaching his 9th season, he is what he is.

True in Langfords case no doubt Taita, but Mackie is 25/26??, how much longer should we then wait for him to fill out? He is no KPD - stop trying to convince yourself, you will do your head in.;)

Sorry, off topic for a moment, but the trade I always feared was Dowler to Sydney while Roos was there. He would have turned him into a 100 goal full forward in no time. Imagine him leading out of the square at the SCG. I'm with a few others around here and think Dowler might blossom elsewhere.

I actually rate Mackie. I think he is a great player and would love to see him at the Hawks.

However...The type of player he is, is obviuosly not what we need at the moment so i would prefer we chased positional requirements. If we can't fill those and if the price is right, i wouldn't be unhappy to see him in brown and gold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mackie is 26 and approaching his 9th season, he is what he is.

True in Langfords case no doubt Taita, but Mackie is 25/26??, how much longer should we then wait for him to fill out? He is no KPD - stop trying to convince yourself, you will do your head in.;)

Body shapes can be changed in a very short time, certainly a much shorter time at 26 than 20.

Metabolism can be a very good friend, or as you get older such as myself or Darren Jarman, or even Darren Milburn - not so much.

Mackie will not retire as a whippet.

Body shapes can be changed in a very short time, certainly a much shorter time at 26 than 20.

Metabolism can be a very good friend, or as you get older such as myself or Darren Jarman, or even Darren Milburn - not so much.

Mackie will not retire as a whippet.

Correct, he will gradually become slower, less attacking and less effective. Mackie doesn't play football like someone who's going to step up and demand CHB and I don't give a shit how tall he is. If our best option is to trade someone in then try and change their body type and the way they play away from their natural strengths as footballers to suit the holes in our list, we've got issues.

Correct, he will gradually become slower, less attacking and less effective. Mackie doesn't play football like someone who's going to step up and demand CHB and I don't give a shit how tall he is. If our best option is to trade someone in then try and change their body type and the way they play away from their natural strengths as footballers to suit the holes in our list, we've got issues.

As i've said - I'm quite meh about it all but given a bit of time to adsorb it, am warming I suppose.

Obviously the footy club must think it's the way forward because all I am hearing from sources is MACKIE, MACKIE, MACKIE.

As i've said - I'm quite meh about it all but given a bit of time to adsorb it, am warming I suppose.

Obviously the footy club must think it's the way forward because all I am hearing from sources is MACKIE, MACKIE, MACKIE.

I'm not convinced he's going anywhere TBH, and if he is I think we'll be paying way overs which is not necessary IMO. Surely we can get better value addressing other needs on our list.

I'm not convinced he's going anywhere TBH, and if he is I think we'll be paying way overs which is not necessary IMO. Surely we can get better value addressing other needs on our list.

You could be right, but there have been so many brush fires in the second half of the season you can't really ignore the fact he may want out. First there was talk of him wanting to go to the GC then Adelaide and now the hawks are talking with him, gotta be something going on surely.

And underestimate the value of B. Dowler at your peril - he'd be a really good fit for them and they might be able to unlock his key.

Mackie's 26 and aint going to get any bigger at this stage. Unless he wants to curtail arguably the biggest asset of his game - his dash.

We need a KP defender.

Consider our losses/close wins this year and the opposition forward's output. In each of these games they kicked above their average.

R2 Geel - Mooney 4
R3 WB - Hall 6
R5 Nth - Hale 3
R6 Ess - Hurley 4
R7 WC - Kennedy 6
R8 Rich - Rieoldt 4
R9 Syd - White 3
R12 Adel - Tippet 4
R17 StK - Kozi 3
R18 Port - Schulz 4

A lot of these games were low scoring which highlights the importance of their games and the opposition coach's tactic of exploiting our weakness.

If we add one key defender like a Thursfield it will allow players like Gilham & co. to support and mop up more effectively like we were able to do when Croady was playing in 2008.

Mackie is not the answer.

Mackie may not be being recruited to play as a HBF. He could play the third forward or defensive forward if you like.

As a player can change club, he/she can also change roles.

I hope we can get someone such as Mathew Watson come draft day.

Ready made CHB/FB.
He is physical
big bodied
good skills

I would be pretty disgusted. Would cost us dearly for a player that's only slightly better than Birchall. Like Birchall he's not even a third tall!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back