Macrae a Bulldog for life

Remove this Banner Ad

Very pleased with this news. How much do we reckon? $4m over 5 years?
That's probably his worth on the open market (despite media and fan phuckwits who wouldn't know a good player if it cracked them in the skull), but I personally think, and obviously I have no earthly way of knowing this, he'd be the kind of guy that settles for around the $650K a year mark, no fuss, deal done. Good coin, but happy to give a little back to help keep Dunkley, Daniel, Dale, Smith, English etc.

That's probably his worth on the open market (despite media and fan phuckwits who wouldn't know a good player if it cracked them in the skull), but I personally think, and obviously I have no earthly way of knowing this, he'd be the kind of guy that settles for around the $650K a year mark, no fuss, deal done. Good coin, but happy to give a little back to help keep Dunkley, Daniel, Dale, Smith, English etc.
He's on at least 750k mate You can take that to the bank.

He's on at least 750k mate You can take that to the bank.
If that's the case then so be it and fair play to him, thoroughly deserved.

I just assumed it'd be a little less as players salaries went down a little from COVID etc. Is that no longer a thing?

This is a sad bump, but with quite a bit of love around for the departing Caleb Daniel it seemed unfair that some of that love wasn't being shared with Jacko.

Pick 6 in 2012
192cm - a big midfielder, especially for the time he was drafted
249 games
59 goals
Rising Star nominee
Three time All Australian (and twice a nominee outside that)
Premiership Bullgod
Vice Captain for one year
Unlucky never to have won a Charles Sutton Medal but was runner up three times (the first at age 20) and finished third twice.
106 Brownlow votes

Never demonstrative or even talkative but always fiercely determined and a great team player. Kicked one of the club's most famous goals in the 2016 PF (I was seated down that end of the ground when he slotted it). I remember after he finished runner-up in the B&F in 2014 his response was not to celebrate but that he wanted to go one better next year. Sadly for his CSM prospects, his career coincided with the emergence of Bontempelli and it never happened.

A great accumulator. Broke some sort of record with the number of consecutive 30+ disposal games. Had a great sidestep early in his career but for some reason he put it away in his first or second season and we never saw it again.

Some of the shine came off his form in the last couple of years. It's hard to know what was cause and what was effect - the slow decline in effectiveness or the coaching move to take him away from his best position. Perhaps there was a strategic decision made that his attributes were no longer going to cut it in the modern midfield? That might have sold him short but that's life in a footy club. Players can be collateral damage when there's a change in the way the coach wants to go.

Sorry to see him go, especially when it seemed he was set to be a Bulldog for life. Sorry he didn't quite make it to 250 games with us. I hope he does well at the Saints who should benefit from what he undoubtedly still has to offer.

Ever the loyal player he never seemed to hold us to ransom but signed extensions without a fuss.

Can't blame him for wanting a new start while he still has 2-3 years left in his career. It will probably end up being good for both parties. He exited with his customary quiet dignity. I'm glad we were prepared to accept slight unders for him. He wouldn't have deserved the indignity of a failed trade and another subdued year at the kennel.

Good luck Jacko!

This is a sad bump, but with quite a bit of love around for the departing Caleb Daniel it seemed unfair that some of that love wasn't being shared with Jacko.

Pick 6 in 2012
192cm - a big midfielder, especially for the time he was drafted
249 games
59 goals
Rising Star nominee
Three time All Australian (and twice a nominee outside that)
Premiership Bullgod
Vice Captain for one year
Unlucky never to have won a Charles Sutton Medal but was runner up three times (the first at age 20) and finished third twice.
106 Brownlow votes

Never demonstrative or even talkative but always fiercely determined and a great team player. Kicked one of the club's most famous goals in the 2016 PF (I was seated down that end of the ground when he slotted it). I remember after he finished runner-up in the B&F in 2014 his response was not to celebrate but that he wanted to go one better next year. Sadly for his CSM prospects, his career coincided with the emergence of Bontempelli and it never happened.

A great accumulator. Broke some sort of record with the number of consecutive 30+ disposal games. Had a great sidestep early in his career but for some reason he put it away in his first or second season and we never saw it again.

Some of the shine came off his form in the last couple of years. It's hard to know what was cause and what was effect - the slow decline in effectiveness or the coaching move to take him away from his best position. Perhaps there was a strategic decision made that his attributes were no longer going to cut it in the modern midfield? That might have sold him short but that's life in a footy club. Players can be collateral damage when there's a change in the way the coach wants to go.

Sorry to see him go, especially when it seemed he was set to be a Bulldog for life. Sorry he didn't quite make it to 250 games with us. I hope he does well at the Saints who should benefit from what he undoubtedly still has to offer.

Ever the loyal player he never seemed to hold us to ransom but signed extensions without a fuss.

Can't blame him for wanting a new start while he still has 2-3 years left in his career. It will probably end up being good for both parties. He exited with his customary quiet dignity. I'm glad we were prepared to accept slight unders for him. He wouldn't have deserved the indignity of a failed trade and another subdued year at the kennel.

Good luck Jacko!
Will always be a bullgod and I wish all the best for him.

Jacko was probably the fallout to 2021 GF. Our mids simply couldn’t match the explosive Melbourne mids (Petracca, Oliver, Jackson in particular) and quite rightly our midfield was/is seen as one paced. The ruck situation never helped either.

Only one of Libba/Macrae would permanently survive. Surround him with pacy mids and use him as the inside extractor he would still probably be the same level player.

In my view he’s a bulldogs legend. All Australians rank as the highest accolade and he has 3 of them. Puts him in the top midfield grouping of bulldogs in the past 25 or so years.

My fave post - before we drafted Jack >

Get McRae!

In response to >
Let's start the Macrae chants... Good to hear we're rumoured to be pretty into him. I think he's the one i want most this year.
BTW, he was BOG in his tac cup grand final, surely this translates to him being a gun. Always has in the past :D
fitzroybowiedog :

This is true! (most of the time)
2012 - J. Mcrae
2011 - J. Viney
2010 - M. Wallis
2009 - J. Melksham
2008 - S. Sidebottom
2005 - D. Thomas
2003 - B. McLean
1997 - A. Goodes
1995 - B. Harvey
1994 - A. Rocca
1992 - D. Fletcher

A few misses, but the hits are generally good serviceable hits.

Absolutely gutted. Macrae has been my favourite since I became a Bulldog in 2015. Really angry it’s ended like this when he still had an important role to play in my opinion. Hope he kills it at the Saints. Good luck Jack!

Absolutely gutted. Macrae has been my favourite since I became a Bulldog in 2015. Really angry it’s ended like this when he still had an important role to play in my opinion. Hope he kills it at the Saints. Good luck Jack!
100% agree. Cannot believe it eventuated and sadly reflects poorly upon Bulldogs culture. I will make it to his next AFL game with St Kilda to cheer him on. Forever a champion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% agree. Cannot believe it eventuated and sadly reflects poorly upon Bulldogs culture. I will make it to his next AFL game with St Kilda to cheer him on. Forever a champion.
These posts about club culture are so cringy. Every club has vets leave for more opportunity/chance to extended their career. It reflects well on the club that we can facilitate a win/win like that.

Gets a banner for his 250th in his first Saints game? Also probably plays 3 years based on his durability, which likely gets him to 300, but not with us. ☹

Go well Jackson Macrae, forever a Bullgod. 🔴⚪🔵

Happy for Jacko, I wish him well.

It sucks that I now have to have a soft spot for St Kilda (and NM).

I'm grateful to have shared a table with a couple of other posters on this forum at the 2017 season launch... A table which included Macrae. I'm sure I posted this at the time, but I couldn't help myself but ask him at the season launch if he enjoyed kicking the winning goal of the 2016 PF more than he enjoyed kicking the winning behind in the TAC Cup Grand Final. I knew what his answer would be, but I wanted to ask it anyway.

How on earth does it reflect on our culture?

He’s leaving for more opportunity and game time
Why was he looking for more opportunity and game time? Craig Mcrae was asked at a game and on TV about Pendlebury and Sidebottom regarding their time left at the club, he said their legends at our club and provide great leadership at training in games and when ever they represent Collingwood and we will look for every opportunity to keep them. That's one sign of a great culture. Now compare that to what has happened to Macrae and Daniel, chalk and cheese.

These posts about club culture are so cringy. Every club has vets leave for more opportunity/chance to extended their career. It reflects well on the club that we can facilitate a win/win like that.
Can you name the players and clubs that have vets leaving for more opportunity thus year?

If you handle it correctly yes you can have a win from these opportunities but IMO I don't see how we have been gracious in forcing these players to leave. Please don't tell me that Harmes is a better option than Macrae.

Can you name the players and clubs that have vets leaving for more opportunity thus year?

If you handle it correctly yes you can have a win from these opportunities but IMO I don't see how we have been gracious in forcing these players to leave. Please don't tell me that Harmes is a better option than Macrae.
Neal Bullen, Nick Haynes, Stringer, Atkins, Campbell, Jack Darling, Luke Parker.

We didn't force Daniel/Macrae to leave - what gives you that idea?

Remove this Banner Ad

Macrae a Bulldog for life

Remove this Banner Ad

Back