Macrae a Bulldog for life

Remove this Banner Ad

Thorpie was a massive accumulator. About as accurate with his disposal as our departed #6 though. Certainly busted his ar5e as captain in 73, ran himself ragged trying to lift his team. Pity he got ahead of himself with prompting from a committeeman to dabble in club politics.

Loved Stewie, but posted some time back about his disconcerting habit of strolling out of post-game showers into the main clubrooms while fans were still in attendance with nothing but a towel... draped over his shoulder! He got dressed right next to my mate and I one day, we were sort of trapped by him and others nearby, took an intent interest in the pipes running along the ceiling! 😲

My Dad worked with him briefly years later. As a migrant with highly accented English, Dad was impressed that Stewie always had time for a chat, or at the least made sure to always say hello. 🙂

Funnily enough I 'met' Thorpe in late 75 through Dad too. Dad was buying a (brand new!) XB Falcon at Col Paige Ford with me in tow and Thorpe was one of the salesmen. Unfortunately the car sales guys weren't as forgiving of Dad's English as Stewie Magee. By then I wasn't a fan of Tiger Thorpe anyway, but gee he had tickets on himself among his colleagues. Haven't been a fan since. I attended the 77 div 2 GF barracking for Yarraville against Mordialloc, in spite of Thorpe being captain coach of Yarraville, and an ex-Footscray captain.

Anyway, enough about my lifelong grudges! 😄

Young Pagnoccolo went ok briefly, was like a shooting star for that 1970 season. Coincidentally, he finished his career at Mordiallic in the early 80s.

Ah, the good old days, eh GDB?! 🤔

Thorpie was one of my favourites , great player, a bit of rock star about him for sure.
But our club badly needed “ rock stars” back then.
In fairness to him, he stuck with the club a long time through some pretty bleak years.
The big clubs would have been in his ear non stop !
Can still remember him and Georgie waxing as they ran the ball into the wind at WO.
Both champions of our club.

Thorpie was a massive accumulator. About as accurate with his disposal as our departed #6 though. Certainly busted his ar5e as captain in 73, ran himself ragged trying to lift his team. Pity he got ahead of himself with prompting from a committeeman to dabble in club politics.

Loved Stewie, but posted some time back about his disconcerting habit of strolling out of post-game showers into the main clubrooms while fans were still in attendance with nothing but a towel... draped over his shoulder! He got dressed right next to my mate and I one day, we were sort of trapped by him and others nearby, took an intent interest in the pipes running along the ceiling! 😲

My Dad worked with him briefly years later. As a migrant with highly accented English, Dad was impressed that Stewie always had time for a chat, or at the least made sure to always say hello. 🙂

Funnily enough I 'met' Thorpe in late 75 through Dad too. Dad was buying a (brand new!) XB Falcon at Col Paige Ford with me in tow and Thorpe was one of the salesmen. Unfortunately the car sales guys weren't as forgiving of Dad's English as Stewie Magee. By then I wasn't a fan of Tiger Thorpe anyway, but gee he had tickets on himself among his colleagues. Haven't been a fan since. I attended the 77 div 2 GF barracking for Yarraville against Mordialloc, in spite of Thorpe being captain coach of Yarraville, and an ex-Footscray captain.

Anyway, enough about my lifelong grudges! 😄

Young Pagnoccolo went ok briefly, was like a shooting star for that 1970 season. Coincidentally, he finished his career at Mordiallic in the early 80s.

Ah, the good old days, eh GDB?! 🤔
Good old days, indeed...

I worked with Thorpie in the late 70s.
Can confirm your impressions of him 😁

I was fortunate enough to play with Charlie in the Dogs 4ths & 3rds. The best footballer I ever played alongside, and one of the nicest and most humble blokes I've known. Deadset hard nut, too. Was targeted every week, never backed out of a contest. Champion.

He was never the same after he copped a shirt front from Bert Thornley at Carlton in 1971, I think.

Given how tough Charlie was, I can only conclude that he was badly hurt physically and heavily concussed.

Haven't seen him for decades, but I hope his life hasn't been negatively affected by the damage he suffered.

Good old days, indeed...

I was fortunate enough to play with Charlie in the Dogs 4ths & 3rds. The best footballer I ever played alongside, and one of the nicest and most humble blokes I've known. Deadset hard nut, too. Was targeted every week, never backed out of a contest. Champion.

He was never the same after he copped a shirt front from Bert Thornley at Carlton in 1971, I think.

Given how tough Charlie was, I can only conclude that he was badly hurt physically and heavily concussed.

Haven't seen him for decades, but I hope his life hasn't been negatively affected by the damage he suffered.

I see Charlie regularly (usually the TAB 😁), seems to be doing really well.
Very nice guy, looks great, always dapper and up for a quick chat.

Good old days, indeed...

I see Charlie regularly (usually the TAB 😁), seems to be doing really well.
Very nice guy, looks great, always dapper and up for a quick chat.

Would love to have a chat to Charlie, one of my first heroes, given our common heritage. 🙂

Some people around us at games called him Pags, pity his career didn't pan out, I didn't know about the hit from Thornley.

Some other people (adults - both male and female!) frequently referred to Quinlan as a "girl", frustrated at what they saw as his inconsistency, but I don't think the coaches did him any favours playing him all over the place. It was bizarre, two women who knew each other and usually stood together, one loved Quinlan, always called him "Bernie" when barracking, while her friend derided him constantly. Unfortunately so did some of the adults we stood with. 😕

Remove this Banner Ad

Macrae a Bulldog for life

Remove this Banner Ad

Back