Scandal Marlion Pickett - In Custody for multiple offences - Later bailed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pickett has been charged by WA Police with four counts of aggravated burglary, with three counts of stealing and three counts of criminal damage among his other charges.
The alleged offences took place between December 2022 and January 2023.
Pickett has a “strong intent” to defend himself, his manager Anthony Van Der Wielen told 7NEWS in a statement.

Racist comments will immediately cop a long break from Bigfooty, discuss the issue not the skin colour or race.
Thank you.

P.S This thread has nothing to do with the Clarkson/Racism review discussion.
This thread is not the place to discuss the prison system and prisoner rehabilitation, you can take that to the SRP board.
This is the scandals and rumours board only, please stay on topic in here.

Last edited:
Its not a prisons job to rehabilitate. Its a prisons job to serve justice.
That’s an incredibly simplistic view to have, for the vast majority of people prison should be about rehabilitation with a mix of punishment to act a deterrent.

Study after study shows that rehabilitation in the long run reduces crime and equips people with skills to integrate back into society and be productive.

The corrections system themselves recognises that rehabilitation is important facet of what they do.

Its not a prisons job to rehabilitate. Its a prisons job to serve justice.
That's the dumb Australian model, and recidivism rates are huge. The smart northern European model treats prisoners much better and recidivism rates are very low. It costs a shitload to accommodate prisoners. We are a very stupid country.

I guessing you have the ability to use google and educate yourself a little bit or are you being deliberately obtuse?
No you made a claim and I’m assuming you can back it up. I’m not contesting what you said I’m asking for evidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You need to know somebody personally to draw a conclusion?

I would suggest to be making ridiculous statement relating IQ to pens, yes you would need to know someone. You have no idea of his IQ. Are you suggesting only people of low IQ can allegedly commit crimes?

I don't think WA police, for all their mis-steps when dealing with indigenous folk, would risk arresting - without bail - a sports person with a profile on a whim.

The charges are multiple aggravated burglaries of commercial properties.

Some of the uninformed defenders with their conspiracy theories are embarrassing themselves.

Was commercial property apparently. From memory aggravated means they were armed/had weapons or maybe that they broke in.

My memory is hazy. Crim law was 20 odd years ago.

Can also mean that they knew, or were negligent in not knowing, that someone was present at the time the offence was committed.

Or they entered with the intent to damage something or assault someone.

People don't just get remanded in Custody unless Police are confident in the evidence and confident that the charges would ultimately stick.

He could have just been charged and bailed, or simply released pending summons. Instead he was kept in custody and is being presented directly to court. Obviously we will know more once the Magistrate has their say.

I would suggest to be making ridiculous statement relating IQ to pens, yes you would need to know someone. You have no idea of his IQ. Are you suggesting only people of low IQ can allegedly commit crimes?
The sort of crimes he's been done for, absolutely.
To my knowledge he hasn't been charged with computer hacking or tax fraud.

Given he's apparently denying the allegations, and given there is little information as things stand, we should probably wait for more information before we start condemning him.

Unfortunately the people who have spent the last four years mocking Pickett and refuse to believe someone can redeem themselves will be vindicated. Of course, there's something to be said about the failure of prisons to actually rehabilitate their inmates, but it's easier to put the sole blame on individuals than have a wider look at our society's failures.

Whether true or not, it's likely this is the end of his AFL career. Hopefully he can pull his life together once again.
Agree, but the opposite also applies (not directed at you btw), but the blind claims of set-up, racist cops, etc - also with no evidence - should be careful sticking their necks out.

It's a great redemption story, but the situation as it stands tonight is not of a small indiscretion. For his sake, I hope it is easily resolved, but with bail denied, the police must have a fair degree of confidence in their evidence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scandal Marlion Pickett - In Custody for multiple offences - Later bailed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back