Preview Marsh Week 2 - Hawthorn v Melbourne - UTas Stadium - Friday March 6, 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to be a Negative Nelly but 2,712 attendees to this game.

Hawthorn have been long-term partners with Tasmania (2001), and this is the commitment AFL/Hawthorn fans demonstrate against another Melbourne side two weeks out from Round 1.

i seem to remember the test the waters preseason game c 2001 was absolutely jumping. Maybe something is going on.

Not sure this has been surmised, but there is evidence we may simply be earlier in our preparation than some other teams.....
It was noted a number of times since we returned after the Christmas break, that we have had a couple other 'breaks' where some had expected further training sessions. Players on very different programs, workloads being carefully shuffled, some needing to be managed because they obviously got a little nicked early or have longer term physical constraints that need to be listened to.

Could it be that we are timing our prep to be nearer our best week 2-3 at the choosing of our coaching staff, and that all this supporter (Big Footy anyway) angst has merely been a bag of shells to the greater plan?
Quite possible I'll say, the one thing always noticeable each year upon practice match times is how easy it is to tell where a club looks against another in their readiness physically for the season, when skills are down, intensity is down, and players just don't look 'primed'.

I saw enough last year to think we were trending the right way, that our young players were trending the right way, and that our list I believe is better and healthier going into to this season.

Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

No finals though, so we have had more time to prepare than 8 other teams - teams that are looking sharper than us currently.

We also have a very tough start to the season, so one would expect that Clarko would want us ready to go for round one - lest we lose our early games and have to play catchup all season. Clarko did state that this game was a dress rehearsal.

No finals though, so we have had more time to prepare than 8 other teams - teams that are looking sharper than us currently.

We also have a very tough start to the season, so one would expect that Clarko would want us ready to go for round one - lest we lose our early games and have to play catchup all season. Clarko did state that this game was a dress rehearsal.

Yup, no finals, but from memory also no 'early back for club sanctioned work' either.....I remember thinking that was interesting, that there wasn't any great sense of urgency or desperation to get back in to it and make the boys pay for an early exit. No angry Clarko.
From everything I've read, including the camps, this has not been an over the top preparation that would suggest Clarko was steamed for a 3-1 or 4-0 start to the season. Outdoor sessions were compromised because of the fires and then volunteer work. Lots of training sessions using a multiplicity of groups, not honing in to get our best working together constantly for synergy.
Yes dress rehearsal, but I think more around using likely available personel and the groupings we might see play together on the field at the same time, rotations, etc.

Anyone remember seeing if Clarko was losing his shit during the intervals trying to get the players to give their all, that it was must win must perform stuff? His after match debrief was also pretty relaxed.

No one here's going to suggest Clarko suffers losing or playing like shite happily right, or doesn't know how to send a rocket through the group?

Reckon we went at 90%, and that 95% will see an enormous difference in the space it can create, the turnovers it can create, the panic it can create in the oppo and whether they can play comfortably in their own systems etc etc.
Our skill execution however, extra effort won't improve kicking but it might make the option easier as more space gets created....

Think we should give it a 4 game block to open the season to make too much out of everything.

Oh, and Petrracca is a gun. Been saying it for years, and those poo pooing a young player trying to find the best way to express his gifts in a team that plays so hot and cold was dumb IMO. Put him in the best teams in the land and he'd be a Brownlow candidate and top 10 player in the league comfortably.

Sorry to be a Negative Nelly but 2,712 attendees to this game.

Hawthorn have been long-term partners with Tasmania (2001), and this is the commitment AFL/Hawthorn fans demonstrate against another Melbourne side two weeks out from Round 1.

Frankly, I get sick of the negative ‘anti-Tasmanian’ crap that gets written on here at times. I can’t speak for Launceston fans, but the Friday night, 7.40pm time slot pretty much ruled out Hobart supporters unless we took a day off work, which for me unfortunately was impossible. Return trip would see us get home at 1am or so, not really very family friendly.

Long weekend, probably the last where we hoped to get some decent weather (didn’t really eventuate).

Lots of other sports started this weekend too, State League Netball, Cricket Finals etc.

I agree that the crowd was rubbish, but we seem to get shafted with these bullshit time slots all the time!

Frankly, I get sick of the negative ‘anti-Tasmanian’ crap that gets written on here at times. I can’t speak for Launceston fans, but the Friday night, 7.40pm time slot pretty much ruled out Hobart supporters unless we took a day off work, which for me unfortunately was impossible. Return trip would see us get home at 1am or so, not really very family friendly.

Long weekend, probably the last where we hoped to get some decent weather (didn’t really eventuate).

Lots of other sports started this weekend too, State League Netball, Cricket Finals etc.

I agree that the crowd was rubbish, but we seem to get shafted with these bullshit time slots all the time!

Don't worry, you won't have anything to complain about pretty soon. :tearsofjoy:

Don't worry, you won't have anything to complain about pretty soon. :tearsofjoy:

Wouldn’t bother me personally, prefer going to the MCG.....I do enjoy the Launceston games, unlike most here who whinge about the crappy contests all the time, but enjoy the big games at the G much better. When we do leave Tassie I will just plan trips to our bigger drawing games at the G, and get more use out of my Melbourne Membrship/Reserved seats!

Having said that, I reckon I have missed only 2-3 games in our time down here. This year may be different as I’m coaching State League Netball, so may find it a bit harder to get to Launceston games.

Will be there Anzac Day though!

Clearly not having a go at one person in general, especially yourself, Changa - you're a member on a footy forum so you're obviously passionate, but Friday's 2,712 crowd is incredibly poor. Becomes are bit farcical when your state is lobbying for their own footy team.

Clearly not having a go at one person in general, especially yourself, Changa - you're a member on a footy forum so you're obviously passionate, but Friday's 2,712 crowd is incredibly poor. Becomes are bit farcical when your state is lobbying for their own footy team.

Yeah, I know it’s not a personal attack or anything, but it happens after pretty much every game. Our fixture down here has been rubbish for years, and I suspect the general public are over watching the lower teams here every year.

A Tasmanian side SHOULD be different as it SHOULD attract the interests of more Tasmanian’s, instead of just the Hawthorn supporting Tasmanian’s.

How does the North v Swans crowd look?

And TOB - 5 players that are too immobile when the ball hits the ground.

The issue is compounded because, individually, all those players are best 22.

Wouldn't put Timmy in that category. Very quick and athletic, can lay some crunching tackles and chase down smaller guys.

I can’t see us being a top 6 side, I worry we will again be 8-12. That’s not being critical it’s being realistic . Ball movement a major worry and we dont have the class of other top teams. We will compete and win some good games, also not get blown away when we loose because of structure. However can’t see us making the jump over any of other top 6 teams.

I know we can’t look back but there is one player that would completely change the dynamic of our side and play, that’s Cyril. Loosing him has cost our list more than buddy/any other player and we haven’t properly recovered/replaced (chad is midfield) He was that X factor and made us a 5-10% better side with his brilliance and defensive side.

Great post.

He was unbelievable - his work off the ball and 1%ers meant we often had 10+ goal kickers in any given game.

I’m not sure I’ll ever see a player like him again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so much negativity, you add to the points already made here about timeslot etc, with the fact we have a lot of people panicking about the coronavirus... we havent had many confirmed cases yet, but we have had an idiot who was under ordered self isolation (and who has it) decide it was fine to go to a supermarket... you can bet a bunch of people stayed away for that reason... shame with the numbers that went could have sat alone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Marsh Week 2 - Hawthorn v Melbourne - UTas Stadium - Friday March 6, 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back