Martin Clarke or James Allen?

Remove this Banner Ad

There were Aussies on the same rookie list who had the same coaches working on their development who didn’t do anything like what Clarke did and there were players on the main list that couldn’t get a game ahead of a rookie. Clarke did so well because he is so talented, confident and determined. It isn’t much more scientific than that.

James Allan may be a good footballer but the probability of him being better than Clarke is remote because the probability of a bloke not on a list being better than a bloke who’s barely played yet had a real impact and done it in finals is remote. They may not be one let alone this randomly selected bloke.

James Allen is awesome for the Roosters, but a bit of a porker. If he lost weight he could not only play AFL, but carve up in it aswell.
To become an elite footballer takes all levels of commitment. Obviously James Allen wasn't quite prepared to make the sacrrifices necessary to make it to the big time, so Clarke is already light years ahead of him. When the average person goes home and enjoys a beautifully cooked meal, AFL footballers have to watch every calorie. Footballers are not paid high enough considering the lack of loyalty dished out by their clubs.

Jim Allen first rose to fame by forcing his way into the great West Indies cricket team about 25yrs ago.

He is still considered to have possessed the strongest throwing arm in all of cricket history.

He went on from there to play a bit of footy.

Hes had the least time, Aussies have been playing since they were lil kids, most people that get drafted have been playing more then 10 years. Marty Clarke had like a year to catch up, why would Collingwood excellent recruiting staff get a guy from overseas to make excellent just for the sake of it? If they could do it that easily dont you think they'd do it with other players aswell? They'd get Cloke to kick straight, rocca to run and licca to keep up with todays footy. It simply isnt as easy as having time put into them, they need god given talent

Exactly, it's not as if irish rookies are perfect robots, clubs do their best to fix all flaws in players and no one is perfect, but i think thats why clarke has been so good this far, because he hasn't shown many weaknesses

I have never seen James Allen play but I would take him over Martin Clarke. I will not further elaborate.

As you seem to rate Allen highly, are you surprised that Carlton didn't pick him up in the draft?

I don't know James Allen from the man in the moon but the point about Clarke and his best mate from down the road(In Ireland they live 25k apart) is 1) their athleticism & 2) their ability to absorb knowledge and learn from good coaches.

This was obvious to their mentors here in Ireland and clearly what the guys from Collingwood saw. Pete McGrath,former All Ireland Coach with Down & IR coach says Clarkes ability was noted at the age of ten and was always known for his ability to learn and take from his coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Martin Clarke or James Allen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back